Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 11th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    • 573Posts
    • 360Thanks
    diamond dave
    fluorescent light problem
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:22 PM
    fluorescent light problem 11th Jan 18 at 7:22 PM
    last year I replaced my old 5ft strip light and last week it started to flash intermitantly with dark patches on ends. Realising the tube had gone I replaced it and all seemed fine until yesterday when it started flashing again and now does not come on at all! I tried to change the starter only to find it doesn't have one. Do I just get another tube incase this one is faulty, or change the whole fitting perhaps for a LED fitting. Any advice really appreciated.
Page 1
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 11th Jan 18, 10:33 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,331 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:33 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:33 PM
    The starter may be inside the fitting- better to have a look (or get someone in if you are not sure / do not feel qualified)

New fittings are not switch start - they have electronic ballasts which check the tube before allowing it to start.

You can buy a new 5 foot light with a tube for around the £20 mark.
    baldly going on...
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 11th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:50 PM
    I wouldn't give the bullet and go for led.
    Still low energy, better control over colour temperatures, no holes in the spectrum, very long lasting, no cold starting issues......just problematic with things like rotating machinery.
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 12th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    diamond dave
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    Fluorescent fitting problems
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:28 AM
    Thanks for replies - checked the fitting and no starter -seems that the new ones don't have one. cannot understand why the fitting should go after only 14 months? It was from homebase so may be it was too cheap. Anyone recommend a good fluorescent batten fitting or an LED?
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 12th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    Thanks for replies - checked the fitting and no starter -seems that the new ones don't have one. cannot understand why the fitting should go after only 14 months? It was from homebase so may be it was too cheap. Anyone recommend a good fluorescent batten fitting or an LED?
    Originally posted by diamond dave
    Take it back to Homebase. Even the electronic ballast versions should go on for year and years.

Get an LED type with your refund.
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 13th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 573 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    diamond dave
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    Fluorescent batten problem
    • 13th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    Ok, so now I'm getting my head around all this. Apparantly,I can use the existing 5ft battenn fitting and retrofit a LED tube but would have to remove the ballast and wire it direct. Is this feasable? practical? It doesn't seem to be a problem - I'm good with electrics and building work. can any one foresee any problems? It just means that I can use the existing fitting.
    • diamond dave
    • By diamond dave 16th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    • 573 Posts
    • 360 Thanks
    diamond dave
    • 16th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    fluorescent light problems
    • 16th Jan 18, 7:39 PM
    Update - disconnected the light and nipped back to Homebase. the guy was brilliant but pointed out that they haven't been Homebase for a couple of years!! They don't even sell fluorescent fittings. So off to toolstation for a new one.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 16th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    • 680 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    • 16th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    Why?

I mean why buy a new florescent fitting? - if that is what you meant!

Is there something wrong with buying a ' cheap ' pendant fitting and then using common cheap led bulbs?
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 17th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    lstar337
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 17th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    Ok, so now I'm getting my head around all this. Apparantly,I can use the existing 5ft battenn fitting and retrofit a LED tube but would have to remove the ballast and wire it direct. Is this feasable? practical? It doesn't seem to be a problem - I'm good with electrics and building work. can any one foresee any problems? It just means that I can use the existing fitting.
    Originally posted by diamond dave
    No issue with that, I've done it before.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 17th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 1,774 Thanks
    lstar337
    Why?

I mean why buy a new florescent fitting? - if that is what you meant!

Is there something wrong with buying a ' cheap ' pendant fitting and then using common cheap led bulbs?
    Originally posted by Heedtheadvice
    There is if you want even light in a large room.

I can't think of many situations were a single pendant would be and acceptable replacement for a batten.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,778Posts Today

6,597Users online

Martin's Twitter