Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • david89
    • By david89 11th Jan 18, 6:57 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    david89
    Homeless & universal credit
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:57 PM
    Homeless & universal credit 11th Jan 18 at 6:57 PM
    I don't know if anyone can help me ? Earlier this year I lost my business and my home so became homeless and living on the streets, I was told that I should claim universal credit from my local job centre !! So before Christmas I went to my local job center ( bexhill on sea) explained I had lost my business and home and was living on the streets, the gent I saw said I needed an address or a care of address, I tried to explain that I did not have either and what could I do he said " move out of the area and find a homeless shelter / hostel as there are no place for homeless people in Bexhill !! So off I went feeling I had gained nothing, but today while in my local library looking for a job online, I found a forum about benefits and the homeless and one article stuck out !! saying I could use the job centre as an care of address, reading this I went back to the job centre and told them what I had read and got told you could when it was JSA but since universal credit you can't !! So I guess my question is !! Is there a way to claim UC when you are homeless with no care of address ?
    (I am using a kind gents iPad in mc'ds but can get any replies in local library computer)
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 11th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 23,978 Posts
    • 13,999 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    https://www.homeless.org.uk/connect/blogs/2017/sep/04/how-will-universal-credit-claimants-experiencing-homelessness-be-paid
    • venison
    • By venison 11th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    venison
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    David this might be of use

https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/homelessness/articles/get_practical_help_if_youre_on_the_streets/claiming_benefits_when_homeless

good luck
    I am a BG on loans,credit cards and benefits I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 11th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    David,

Following on from venison's post Shelter can be contacted online:
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

They should be able to give authoritative advice about UC and homelessness.

At one time Shelter could be contacted by email, but I can't see that option on their site presently.

I don't know the answer to your question, I'm afraid.
    Another source of info would be your local CAB -
    http://www.citizensadvicerotherdistrict.org.uk/
    CAB volunteers have access to the Citizens Advice Expert Advice Team. So if the volunteer can't give you full information about your options at the first advice session you could ask them to contact their EAT by email, then you could return to pick up their response.
    It's also possible your local CAB might be aware of other organisations in the area that may be able to offer you support.

Since the JC seem to have been somewhat unhelpful, I'm just wondering if an email to your MP might be worthwhile?
    https://www.huwmerriman.org.uk/contact
    It's just possible he may be able to contact a more helpful official at the DWP and get better options for you.

Best wishes.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 11-01-2018 at 9:26 PM.
    • venison
    • By venison 11th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 1,608 Thanks
    venison
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    David another link you might find useful:
    http://www.discoverbexhill.com/articles/helping-bexhills-homeless

i hope you get sorted out asap and if you need further help just keep posting or if you want feel free to PM me

Best wishes (and i'm sure others on here send them as well)
    I am a BG on loans,credit cards and benefits I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly". Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • david89
    • By david89 12th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    david89
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    Thank you for all your replies, and thank you Alice, I already sent an email to Huw Merriman, he has the same view as the JC and Rother council homeless people are just not wanted here, I guess I will just have to move and find a borough that has a homeless shelter / hostel, it's funny when I had my business here people were so friendly now they cross the road as if I have the plague !! Thanks again for your replies
    • david89
    • By david89 15th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    david89
    • 15th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 15th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    Update to my last post, today I learned that my local council (Rother) are now looking at fining homeless people ( rough sleepers ) and are classing it as antisocial behaviour !! What is our country coming to ? this is totally disgusting just another way Rother council flaunting their power, it is bad enough that we can't get benefits without a care of address, if Rother council are allowed to get away with this, other councils will follow suit and what will happen to homeless people then ?
    Sorry to the site admin for this post but need to let people know what is going on !!
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 15th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 15th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    • 15th Jan 18, 7:56 PM
    Update to my last post, today I learned that my local council (Rother) are now looking at fining homeless people ( rough sleepers ) and are classing it as antisocial behaviour !! What is our country coming to ? this is totally disgusting just another way Rother council flaunting their power, it is bad enough that we can't get benefits without a care of address, if Rother council are allowed to get away with this, other councils will follow suit and what will happen to homeless people then ?
    Sorry to the site admin for this post but need to let people know what is going on !!
    Originally posted by david89
    Tory council and MP David, I wouldn't expect anything less from them Rushcliffe tried to do the same but thankfully there was a public backlash to it.

I hope things get better for you soon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,835Posts Today

9,435Users online

Martin's Twitter