Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • treecol
    • By treecol 11th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    • 246Posts
    • 30Thanks
    treecol
    Swimming pool
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:37 PM
    Swimming pool 11th Jan 18 at 3:37 PM
    We are currently looking around as the house we wanted to buy has fallen through. We've found another we really like, but it has a big inground swimming pool. We have 13 grandchildren so in one way it could be useful. But the house has had a huge reduction of £75k since it went on the market in the summer. The owners won't disclose how much the pool costs to run, at the moment, which their agent agrees is not helpful. We also want to know how you would go about draining a pool? We can fill it in ourselves & are fully aware of the expense of that. It's the cost to drain it.
    Our estate agent says it's the pool that has devalued the house as they are trying to sell a property with one & so far no one wants it. What are your thoughts on a house with a pool & also any input as to overheads & emptying costs would be fab. Thank you in advance.
Page 2
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Jan 18, 10:16 AM
    • 23,987 Posts
    • 90,203 Thanks
    Davesnave
    At 5lb 3oz, the biggest trout I ever caught was from an ex-swimming pool.

Tub of fry from a farm, a few bags of pellets and, hey presto, part time business, or just a nice source of protein for the barbie.

What's not to like?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • martindow
    • By martindow 12th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 7,352 Posts
    • 4,130 Thanks
    martindow
    There is a huge difference in cost between solar heating and using electricity which can be hugely expensive. Solar heating extends the time you can swim at little running cost. Without some heating you may find you only use the pool for a few days a year unless you are a Spartan.

We sold a house with a pool and it put people off and encouraged them in equal measure. Several prospective buyers were planning on getting rid of it.

Assuming it is a proper blockwork construction pool it can be emptied although as has been said normally you just add chemicals to keep it in balance and don't change the water. There is probably a valve by the circulating pump which allows you to pump out the water.
    • treecol
    • By treecol 12th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    treecol
    Nothing says 'chavtastic' more than a pool in the back garden of an otherwise regular suburban property.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    Except that it isn't a regular suburban property. It's a one-off rural self-build by the current owner.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 12th Jan 18, 12:26 PM
    • 24,072 Posts
    • 50,899 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Except that it isn't a regular suburban property. It's a one-off rural self-build by the current owner.
    Originally posted by treecol

In that case, it probably looks fine and I'd just get rid of it anyway.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 12th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 5,589 Posts
    • 5,034 Thanks
    badger09

Nothing says 'chavtastic' more than a pool in the back garden of an otherwise regular suburban property.
    Several assumptions there

Except that it isn't a regular suburban property. ............
    Likewise

In that case, it probably looks fine and I'd just get rid of it anyway.
    Fair enough. I do think a pool is a bit 'marmite' - love it or hate it.

Back on topic - we've never had to drain ours completely. Just drain some out in late autumn and put the winter cover on.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Jan 18, 4:25 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 8,145 Thanks
    EachPenny
    We also want to know how you would go about draining a pool? We can fill it in ourselves & are fully aware of the expense of that. It's the cost to drain it.
    The filter system usually has a 'drain' setting which means the water is sent to a drain rather than back to the pool, so if you decided to fill the pool in the bulk of the water could be removed that way.

The more important consideration when filling in a pool (or pond) is ensuring it won't fill back up with water. For that you'd need to make permanent damage to the base of the pool at the lowest point to ensure any rain that falls on the area of the ex-pool has a means of draining away. Otherwise you'll end up with a swamp in the garden.

If you are in very heavy clay soil you might also need to make holes in the walls above the level of the clay so the water can drain into the more permeable topsoil. Needless to say, if you later change your mind, repairing a pool damaged in this way will not be a cheap option.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 12th Jan 18, 4:54 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 4,272 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    If they're a pleasing shape and a decent way from the house, a few people convert them into ponds.

Lots of sandbags and effort but if someone's always wanted a pond then there's the dug out shape and the start of pond mechanicals all ready waiting for them.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Jan 18, 5:17 PM
    • 23,987 Posts
    • 90,203 Thanks
    Davesnave
    In case anyone thought I was making it up, here's proof of the swimming pool to trout farm story:

http://www.clevelandpools.org.uk/archive/picture.php?/1981/category/52
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 12th Jan 18, 9:09 PM
    • 2,692 Posts
    • 3,027 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I would never entertain buying a house with a pool unless its price was sufficiently low that I could have the pool removed and all traces of it obliterated for the amount saved off the 'non-pool' price.

What about a flagpole?
    • Fish&Chips
    • By Fish&Chips 12th Jan 18, 10:08 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Fish&Chips
    You might want to check how much it will cost for insurance for a house with a pool in case anyone falls in and is injured or drowns.

My brother is a plumber and when he was younger went out to do maintenance on houses with pools and hot tubs. He used to go to a house in the Home Counties to maintain the pool of a rock star in a famous band. Sadly, the young son of a rock star drowned in the pool.

My Aussie friends tell me that Down Under it is compulsory for all home pools to be completely enclosed to prevent accidental drownings. Unfortunately young children are attracted to water and it only takes a moment for a child to slip away unnoticed to get to the pool. Actually a friend of mine rescued her two year old from the pond when he was visiting his granny and my sister filled her pond in when her son was a baby.

Personally I wouldn’t ever want to take the risk that any visitors - whether a young child or an adult sunning themselves by the pool with wine or beer on a hot day - go into the pool and drown. You may be willing to watch them like a hawk, but it only takes a moment of distraction eg. the doorbell ringing for the ‘lifeguard’ to remove themselves for a moment and a tragedy to occur.

Tbh it will be cheaper to go to the municipal pool or local health club pool than heat and maintain a pool yourself!
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 12th Jan 18, 10:40 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 8,145 Thanks
    EachPenny
    What about a flagpole?
    Originally posted by glasgowdan
    Depends whether you fly an EU flag on it or not.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • dobymicks
    • By dobymicks 13th Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    dobymicks
    You might want to check how much it will cost for insurance for a house with a pool in case anyone falls in and is injured or drowns.
    Originally posted by Fish&Chips
    I have a indoor pool in a rental property and pay normal premium for landlord insurance.
    When I lived in the same property the premiums were not inflated because of the pool.
    • treecol
    • By treecol 14th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    treecol
    Thank you again, really appreciate the input from you all. It's so helpful to hear different experience & thoughts of others.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

48Posts Today

3,593Users online

Martin's Twitter