Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stephen1720
    • By Stephen1720 11th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Stephen1720
    I want a 2nd current account with bad credit
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:04 PM
    I want a 2nd current account with bad credit 11th Jan 18 at 3:04 PM
    Hi Iím 22 and in a lot of debt Iím currently in Debt manegent plan. I have a current account with Barclays Iím full time employed and get 2100 after tax every month. I want to open a 2nd current account so one can be for my bills and one for my own money for example I will get paid then transfer 100 a week for my bills into my Barclays account then I will i know what I have for myself for the week. I am really bad with money and this will help me out. I tried to open with Santander and failed and Iíve just tried co op I am waiting on reply. Any advice on what banks will allow to do this ? Thanks
Page 1
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 11th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 3,844 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:19 PM
    I opened accounts with the coop and natwest on a dmp, so hopefully the coop one should go through. That was a while ago though.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • Stephen1720
    • By Stephen1720 11th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stephen1720
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:52 PM
    Nope declined
    • StokieBecks
    • By StokieBecks 11th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 4,445 Posts
    • 27,023 Thanks
    StokieBecks
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:01 PM
    You probably need to be applying for one of the basic accounts. These will just give you a debit card but no access to overdraft facilities etc. Don't make too many applications in a short space of time. Go into a branch and ask for forms for basic account (think co op one is called cashminder)
    • SnowTiger
    • By SnowTiger 11th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 3,136 Posts
    • 2,113 Thanks
    SnowTiger
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:14 PM
    Perhaps your previous mistakes are preventing you from opening a standard bank account.

And you're not being offered a basic account because you already have a current account.

Coventry's MoneyManager account is a savings account, so doesn't require a credit check. It offers an ATM card (not debit card) and you can use it for direct debits and standing orders. It pays .1% interest too.
    • Stephen1720
    • By Stephen1720 11th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stephen1720
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    Yes I just want a basic account but I need to able to transfer money as my plan is get paid into my new account then send money to old account for direct debits and leave it in there as what I do is leave things last minute and end of the month I struggle. I will go into branch but I would I need online banking
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 11th Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    18cc
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:14 PM
    would barclays help if you told them your plan
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 11th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    18cc
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    you could open eg a yorkshire bldg society cashcard accojnt fir your spending money ut has an atm card and online banking
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 5,194 Posts
    • 9,895 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    Don't you already have an account with Barclays that does direct debits and online transfers? I am not sure what you are trying to do here. You get paid into Barclays and presumably your bills come out of there so why open another account? If you are bad with money bringing another account into the equation sounds like a recipe for disaster with direct debits not being moved across etc.

Why not just change your bills payment date to a few days after you get paid so they are all sorted after payday and if you are worried about overspending on the disposable income transfer three weeks money into an internet saver and then transfer it back weekly into Barclays. Or do a budget at the beginning of the month and work out how much you have weekly and draw it out in cash.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Stephen1720
    • By Stephen1720 12th Jan 18, 11:23 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stephen1720
    Basically I have bill at the end of month that comes to 600 and I bacially always spend my wages. So at the end I struggle. I have tried taking cash out and transferring to other accounts but I takes a second to transfer straight back and same with the cash. If I had a new account I would remove online banking for Barclays that way it will just be left. I know this sounds mad but I’ve never been good with money especially digital I have to save with tins in the house lol
    • Stephen1720
    • By Stephen1720 12th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stephen1720
    Also I get paid weekly
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 13th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 3,340 Posts
    • 874 Thanks
    Anthorn
    If it's primarily for the payment of bills you don't need a full current account. The Coventry Building Society MoneyManager account is primarily a savings account but has most of the functions of a bank current account including standing orders and direct debits, ATM cash card and 0.10% interest. With no credit, no hard credit search but you will likely have to prove your identity through a soft id search and/or documentation.
    https://www.coventrybuildingsociety.co.uk/consumer/product/savings/everyday_money/moneymanager.html
    • MargaretBrazear
    • By MargaretBrazear 13th Jan 18, 8:20 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MargaretBrazear
    Have you asked Barclays if you can get a second account with them? Or you could open an online savings account with them and transfer your bill money into it.
    • SPalin
    • By SPalin 14th Jan 18, 11:17 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    SPalin
    Yorkshire Bank offer a savings account with a debit card.
    Not a great interest rate probably closest to what you want.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 14th Jan 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1,207 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    ‘I have never been good with money’ is all well and good. But, like a lot of things in life, it’s not really a valid reason for failing to be responsible. Try harder, and you will probably find it’s not that difficult.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • WibblyGirly
    • By WibblyGirly 14th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 547 Thanks
    WibblyGirly
    What about taking the cash out each week and leaving the debit card at home? That way you can only spend what is physically in your wallet? Seeing it as actual money may help when spending too as you see it go whereas on a card it feels like its not real money sometimes.
    • -taff
    • By -taff 14th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 7,336 Posts
    • 5,390 Thanks
    -taff
    Go to the debt free wannabe board for help making a budget.
    You don't have one at the moment because you're not looking at a month of bills, you're looking a a week of spending money.
    • Trilli2018
    • By Trilli2018 14th Jan 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Trilli2018
    Try Monzo
    I just signed up after reading your post as Iíve been in the same boat! You can get a current account using the Monzo app. I did a search on MSE and got a jump the que access code (as there is a waiting list). I then got an upgrade to a current account. The account sends you notifications of your balance so you are always in the know about what you are spending. It also allows you to save money using pots. You can transfer set amounts of money in pots that you canít touch or would like to save. It also categorises spending into things like rent, food and shopping so you know where your money is going. Tech is the way forward high street banks are missing out on giving people a chance to rebuild their credit. All the best.
    • john1002
    • By john1002 14th Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    • 889 Posts
    • 371 Thanks
    john1002
    Monzo is good option as is starling they are slightly better in they offer Apple Pay.

If you need a boost for Monzo I do have a golden ticket to beat any queues.

John
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

579Posts Today

5,183Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Always fun to speak to @ChrisEvans on radio - at the speed we both go - we could do an hours's show in 15minutes.

• RT @benpostma: After watching @MartinSLewis I took my faulty trainers back to where I bought them from, with no receipt just a screen shot?

• RT @Louloubell1980: @MartinSLewis My little 3yr old and his Auntie on Christmas Eve....4 days after she donated her Kidney to him x https:/?

• Follow Martin