Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anitairene
    • By anitairene 11th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    anitairene
    Adding a new tenant?
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:31 PM
    Adding a new tenant? 11th Jan 18 at 2:31 PM
    Our tenants want to bring an elderly relative to live with them. We are in fine with this but wonder if we should draw up a new tenancy agreement. Their son who is in his thirties, also lives with them but moved in two years after the agreement was drawn up, should he also be added to a tenancy agreement. The tenants have been in the property since 2001.
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:34 PM
    Why? Your tenant can have anyone they like living there. It's none of your concern.
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 11th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 9,227 Posts
    • 12,243 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    Why? Your tenant can have anyone they like living there. It's none of your concern.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    - many tenancies - probably most private ones - have clauses requiring approval or permission for extra occupants.

Don't "add to tenancy", draw up a new one if you want to go that way.

Advantages: More people to sue if rent not paid.
    Disadvantages (loads more paperwork - EPC, GSC, "How to rent", "right to rent" checks, check-in&out, inventory, return deposit, take new deposit etc etc).

My advice? Do nothing, other than agree to extra occupants. You've checked it won;t be overcrowded ? (Criminal offence for landlords)
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 42,740 Posts
    • 49,957 Thanks
    G_M
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:33 PM
    Either

1) a brand new tenancy agreement with new names.
    * retake and reregister the deposit
    * redo inventory
    * re-issue EPC, GSR, Gov leaflet etc

or

2) Execute a Deed of Assignment, adding the new name to the existing tenancy agreement
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    - many tenancies - probably most private ones - have clauses requiring approval or permission for extra occupants.

Don't "add to tenancy", draw up a new one if you want to go that way.

Advantages: More people to sue if rent not paid.
    Disadvantages (loads more paperwork - EPC, GSC, "How to rent", "right to rent" checks, check-in&out, inventory, return deposit, take new deposit etc etc).

My advice? Do nothing, other than agree to extra occupants. You've checked it won;t be overcrowded ? (Criminal offence for landlords)
    Originally posted by theartfullodger

I agree they do, but would one (I know you probably wouldn't) evict the tenant because they've let mum/dad, son/daughter move in?
    • theartfullodger
    • By theartfullodger 11th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 9,227 Posts
    • 12,243 Thanks
    theartfullodger
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:21 PM
    I agree they do, but would one (I know you probably wouldn't) evict the tenant because they've let mum/dad, son/daughter move in?
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I wouldn't, no, not if the normal conditions are met (i.e. rent paid in-full & on-time, place looked after, occupants get on OK with neighbours & landlord). And not statutorily overcrowded.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/overcrowding

But as it happens I have a current case. Single tenant moved in late last summer, passed letting agents checks, fine. But 3 days before move-in {I think they always planned this...} asked if they could have a small pet. I said OK as previous 3-year tenants had had pet & carpets weren't new. Couple of months later they asked if they could have another pet. I never gave an answer. Then a month or so later could spouse & 3 dogs come also (small 2-bed house). Agent went round to have a look and it turned out there were also 3 kids, one over 10 (ie needs own room...so would be statutorily overcrowded). Currently it appears tenant says they are on their own only with one pet and planning to move out soon: If nowt happens soon I'll be serving notices. Yes, bit of a b*st*rd me. But I don't want to risk getting a criminal record & fined for overcrowding.
    Last edited by theartfullodger; 11-01-2018 at 5:25 PM.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:30 PM
    I wouldn't, no, not if the normal conditions are met (i.e. rent paid in-full & on-time, place looked after, occupants get on OK with neighbours & landlord). And not statutorily overcrowded.
    https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/repairs/overcrowding

But as it happens I have a current case. Single tenant moved in late last summer, passed letting agents checks, fine. But 3 days before move-in {I think they always planned this...} asked if they could have a small pet. I said OK as previous 3-year tenants had had pet & carpets weren't new. Couple of months later they asked if they could have another pet. I never gave an answer. Then a month or so later could spouse & 3 dogs come also (small 2-bed house). Agent went round to have a look and it turned out there were also 3 kids, one over 10 (ie needs own room...so would be statutorily overcrowded). Currently it appears tenant says they are on their own only with one pet and planning to move out soon: If nowt happens soon I'll be serving notices. Yes, bit of a b*st*rd me. But I don't want to risk getting a criminal record & fined for overcrowding.
    Originally posted by theartfullodger

Yes that's fair enough! And a bit of a micky take in a small 2 bed!

Out of curiosity what are the stat regulations for kids - I was under the impression age was only an issue when gender's were mixed?

edit just read and it's as I suspected. - read before posting!

I think you would be fine.

2 beds + living room.
    2 adults + 3 children (one over 10)
    Last edited by Comms69; 11-01-2018 at 5:32 PM.
    • anitairene
    • By anitairene 12th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anitairene
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    Thanks
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    A big thank you to all who replied to my question. We didn't want to stop our tenants bringing an elderly relative to live with tbem we just wanted to make sure that we were not doing anything wrong by not adding them to an agreement.
    • anitairene
    • By anitairene 12th Jan 18, 9:44 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anitairene
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:44 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:44 AM
    Thank you that's what we thought.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 12th Jan 18, 1:39 PM
    • 3,520 Posts
    • 4,869 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    We had this. Tenant moves in after seperating from wife. Needs three beds because children stay at weekend. After one month tenant says mother is ill and is moving out to look after her but asks if wife and children can move in to look after the property. We say yes because after all she is still his wife. (As in Artfullodger we think they always planned this) Wife doesn't work tries to claim housing benefit but is not on the tenancy agreement. We are left with the tenant having left the property and someone else not a tenant living in the property.

All I will say is be careful. Some tenants are not always going to do what they say they are.
    Last edited by Cakeguts; 12-01-2018 at 2:18 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,536Posts Today

8,785Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• RT @elainelawro: @MartinSLewis When I lost my mum suddenly from a burst aneurysm on the brain I was unaware that my mum had signed up to do?

• RT @AlisonKinder: @MartinSLewis I?m on my second kidney transplant in Thirty years. My life has been changed beyond recognition twice by th?

• Follow Martin