Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tre423
    • By Tre423 11th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tre423
    How much council tax should we be paying?
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:06 PM
    How much council tax should we be paying? 11th Jan 18 at 2:06 PM
    Our council tax bill this year is around £1950 but has been deducted to around £800 because my mum recieves Pension Credit but they have not accounted for my sister's mental health condition in working out how much we should pay, which we believe should further reduce our council tax liability. She has been reciving DLA for a few years now at the higher rate, as her condition is really bad. There is one member in the household who works fiull time and is on a good salary. He pays pays pretty much at the full rate. But since my sister has a mental health condition and my mother receives Carer's Allowance to top up her pension credit, as she was entitled to carer's allowance, shouldn't our tax bill be much lower, if anything at all?

The council hasn't taken into account my sister's condition and the fact that my mum is her full time carer.
Page 1
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 4,583 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    You should ask your council for a detailed explanation of how they have worked out the reduction.

But the non dependant charge alone will be about £600, and rightly so.
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 11th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 4,141 Posts
    • 3,111 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:24 PM
    Have you asked the council?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 19,135 Posts
    • 14,817 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:23 PM
    £800 seems like a very good deal. Even if your mum and sister were entirely exempted the one remaining person would only get the single person 25% discount, so the bill should be £1,462.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 3,345 Posts
    • 4,583 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:29 PM
    £800 seems like a very good deal. Even if your mum and sister were entirely exempted the one remaining person would only get the single person 25% discount, so the bill should be £1,462.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    That would only be the case of they were all jointly liable.

But I agree, £800 a year is very good. I'm a pensioner, I don't get any benefits, and my OH and I pay over £2500 between us.
    • Tre423
    • By Tre423 12th Jan 18, 12:16 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tre423
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:16 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 12:16 AM
    They have been fully aware of each person's circumstance, apart from my sister. Her condition was not fully known to the benefits department that deal with council tax reduction. They may have known she was reciving some kind of benefits but we don't believe they were aware she was now, for several years, been receiving the higher rate, consistent with her diagnosis. We don't believe her condition has been factored into the reductions that have been applied.

As far as I know, reductions for my mum have only been applied since she reached the pensionable age. This is mentioned in the council tax statement. However, her claim for Carer's Allowance is a relatively new one (about a year), which definately was not known to them, so shouldn't they apply further reductions based on the fact that she is a full time carer now? Of course, she has been caring for my sister full time for several years now (since the onset of her condition) but her carer's Allowance Allwoance wasn't applied for until only last year.

I have read elsewhere, anyone with severe mental imapairments, should be fully exempt from council tax.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 12th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 10,181 Posts
    • 5,837 Thanks
    CIS
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:59 AM
    I have read elsewhere, anyone with severe mental imapairments, should be fully exempt from council tax.
    They are disregarded not exempt. This means that they are not taken in to account when calculating the council tax charge however as there appears to be at least two other adults who are disregarded then there won't be any effect on the council tax charge from this disregard. Unless disregards can be applied to the point there is no more than 1 adult in the property who is not disregarded then a reduction will not be gained via this route
    way to
    Any current reduction to the council tax charge will come via council tax reduction (CTR), which is means tested. If you think the council are unaware of a specific situation then the way forward is to contact them and ask.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter