Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 11th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 735Posts
    • 135Thanks
    GTR King
    Need advice
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    Need advice 11th Jan 18 at 2:00 PM
    Dunno if this in the right place so please move if not..

Ok so where I live (Ipswich) On my road is permit parking, I live at the end of the road up the top...

To the Left (Straight in front of my house) Is a very short road into a culdesac with non permit parking to the left (4-5 spaces) all ways been able to park there. To the right of that road is a hill with about 6/8 spaces.. Years Ago that was private/council permit parking (Dunno which) for the residents of the houses down that road/culdesac with signs and bollard etc

Early last year (Trying to find a parking space) a lady came up to me who lived in one of those houses and said I can park there (Except for one space as comes with one of those houses) as they have taken the signs down so should be a problem to park there and I won't get fined etc

So I have been parking there for ages with no problems until yesterday when had note on car saying these parking spaces are reserved for residents of said road/culdesac.

so what are my rights? Can I park there?? or is she right to moan and put note on my car?
Page 1
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 11th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 700 Posts
    • 529 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:19 PM
    well if it were me i would ignore a note on my windscreen and keep parking there until an official sign is displayed telling me otherwise, you could always ring the council and ask them......

I'd also say this post is in the wrong section too
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 11th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 15,479 Posts
    • 21,180 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    If it is a council owned street and there are no signs showing parking restrictions, then you should be fine parking there.

I would probably contact the council just to check this though, but keep parking there unless you get an OFFICIAL letter saying otherwise.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 11th Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 1,212 Thanks
    LABMAN
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    There is a Motoring board with a subsection on parking here:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163
    • stuartJo1989
    • By stuartJo1989 11th Jan 18, 2:51 PM
    • 396 Posts
    • 388 Thanks
    stuartJo1989
    If it has got to note-writing stage then I'd caution you about continuing to park there. Not because you are in the wrong, but because *some* people can be outright nasty (and small-minded) if they think that you are parking in THEIR spot.

Possible further problems could include:

- Rubbish being thrown onto the windscreen
    - Car getting keyed
    - Discreet calls to councils about non-related things to stare up some trouble

Only you can really gauge whether these things are possible, and whether there are other viable parking options which doesn't make you lose much face. If you are legally allowed to park there (sounds like you are) then you have nothing to worry about from a "getting a parking ticket/fine" perspective.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 11th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    • 30,634 Posts
    • 19,368 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    I would say yes to continue to park there but you could find your car is damaged, just like previous poster says.

You dont know who put the note on ypur car, can you be sure it was the same person who said you could park there ?
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,371Posts Today

9,559Users online

Martin's Twitter