Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Stueym
    • By Stueym 11th Jan 18, 1:34 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Stueym
    New Build Kitchen Worktop Faulty after 2yrs. What are my rights?
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:34 PM
    New Build Kitchen Worktop Faulty after 2yrs. What are my rights? 11th Jan 18 at 1:34 PM
    Hi there MSE Forum!
    I have noticed the laminate on worktop start to blow or bubble up at the joint in my work tops (itís an L shape). My flat is just over itís 2yr warranty period. Naturally I asked Bellway about fixing this and the representatives first response was that I was over the 2yr period so Ďtough luckí almost! Admitabbly she hasnít got to my email to formally address the issue, but Iím guessing that they will try void themselves from any blame.

If they come back saying they wonít do anything what are my options? As I donít really fancy paying for new worktops when this is no fault of my own!
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 11th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 10,423 Posts
    • 7,354 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:28 PM
    You need to prove that the fault is either manufacturing related or an issue with the original installation. For example if you allow liquid to lay around in that particular area (is it anywhere near the sink?) then eventually it will seep into the join and lift the laminate regardless of how well the worktop is made or fitted.
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 11th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 15,464 Posts
    • 21,149 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:32 PM
    Have you ever allowed water to pool there for a period of time?

Most work tops will bubble at the joint if water remains there for a few minutes.

My kitchen is proof of this! The previous owner kept the worktops immaculate for years, then I put wet things down and forgot about them, and it has now bubbled up! Ohps.

I would put money on this being user error rather than a fault.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • m0bov
    • By m0bov 11th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 1,178 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    m0bov
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:36 PM
    They should apply clear sealant on exposed ends to prevent ingress of water into the worktop. Might be worth getting someone in to check.
    • Fosterdog
    • By Fosterdog 11th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 3,551 Posts
    • 6,104 Thanks
    Fosterdog
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    They should apply clear sealant on exposed ends to prevent ingress of water into the worktop. Might be worth getting someone in to check.
    Originally posted by m0bov
    Sealant wonít stop all water ingress on top of a wooden surface, Wood is flexible so all it would take is a few instances of putting heavy items on top (say a stand mixer or even just a full stockpot) and there would be movement, plus it will naturally expand and contract with heat and humidity. Of course it should limit how much water gets through but it wouldnít stop it altogether.
    • Stueym
    • By Stueym 11th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Stueym
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:10 PM
    Thank you for the replies.
    The area is not an area that is likely to see regular water, definitely not submerged only when wiping the surfaces down (and I do this with flash wipes)... Hense why itís taken 2yrs to appear? So I donít think itís out of the question to last more than 2yrs! But maybe I have over estimated the lifespan of this kind of thing?
    Iíll see what they come back with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,166Posts Today

9,526Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin