Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • hopeful81
    • By hopeful81 11th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 6Thanks
    hopeful81
    Am a mad
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    Am a mad 11th Jan 18 at 1:26 PM
    Hi

I moved house in October and still find myself checking out Zoopla a few times a day!! Am I completely mad or does anyone still do this?? I really love my house, still getting used to it, just can't stop looking at other properties :-/
Page 1
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 11th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 3,545 Posts
    • 4,906 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    Not mad you just have a more unusual hobby.
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 11th Jan 18, 1:33 PM
    • 2,328 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    chelseablue
    No you're not mad, I moved into my house in 2016 and cant wait to move and still have my Rightmove alerts set up
    Mortgage starting balance 26.02.16 £231,294
    Mortgage after Year 1 £225,078
    • ReadingTim
    • By ReadingTim 11th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 2,294 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    ReadingTim
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with having a nosey around other people's homes/properties for sale - just don't don't use it to beat yourself up about the place you bought or the price you paid for it....
    • cloo
    • By cloo 11th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 948 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    cloo
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:52 PM
    It seems to be pretty common, it'll slow down over time. Just as long as you don't obsess about the value of your own place!

I didn't feel any need to do it, though I admit I do look things up that come on the market near me to see what the market is doing.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 11th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 3,932 Posts
    • 8,031 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    You are, indeed mad.

I prescribe following the "Have a look at this" thread that bumbles around on the first page of this Forum board. No, it won't help with a cure, just the reverse. However, realising you are not alone, and others have a similar ailment will alleviate your concerns.
    • xsor
    • By xsor 11th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    xsor
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:27 PM
    I don't think you're mad..

About to exchange, I'm still looking around, possibly overpaid etc..

But I'm sure after I settle in, decorate the place.. create some memories... I won't look back.. (cos I can't afford to anyway :P)
    • bspm
    • By bspm 11th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    bspm
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:39 PM
    We moved in October 2013 after living in our previous house for 25 years, can honestly say I still looked on zoopla and other websites but I put it down to the fact I was not settled with the new property.

Fast forward to May 2016 when we moved again (told you i wasn't settled) have not checked any house websites since other than to check on what properties are now fetching where we live now. I put this down to the fact we are so happy where we are now and would never think of moving again.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 24,009 Posts
    • 90,261 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:58 PM
    I've had permanent alerts set up since 2007.

I don't look at most of them, but it's interesting if I spot somewhere I know etc. We got around a lot, searching.....

Living in a country area, I have one alert set for just a mile or two from home, so I know immediately if anyone goes on the market. For example, a neighbour 200m away went on, low-key, no sign, just before Christmas, so I was first to find out.

Of course, half an hour later, everyone knew!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • NicNicP
    • By NicNicP 11th Jan 18, 5:42 PM
    • 226 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    NicNicP
    I look on right move every day, maybe twice a day. I have no intention of moving but love being nosey.
    • Katgrit
    • By Katgrit 11th Jan 18, 8:30 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 1,354 Thanks
    Katgrit
    I moved 3 years ago and still look every week. My parents hated the idea of me buying this house, and TBH I did overpay for it......I guess I look as reassurance that I still did the right thing in buying it. I absolutely love my house and in 3 years I've only found that I might have preferred more. It's just being nosey really, having a snoof round houses in my town.

And if you're still worried you're mad, then my Auntie moved over 25 years ago, and not only does she stalk RightMove, she actually plans furniture in her head for them!! "Come and have a look at this bureau I've found for sale on eBay......its gorgeous. That big farm house on the left as you leave town is up for sale, and it would look LOVELY under their stair alcove in their big reception hallway". Riiiiiight!!
    • 00ec25
    • By 00ec25 11th Jan 18, 8:32 PM
    • 5,799 Posts
    • 5,252 Thanks
    00ec25
    Hi

I moved house in October and still find myself checking out Zoopla a few times a day!! Am I completely mad or does anyone still do this?? I really love my house, still getting used to it, just can't stop looking at other properties :-/
    Originally posted by hopeful81
    not as mad as you will be when you spot one you think you prefer
    • Slithery
    • By Slithery 11th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 514 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    Slithery
    You're only as mad as the rest of us
    • hopeful81
    • By hopeful81 11th Jan 18, 9:00 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    hopeful81
    I'm so glad I'm not alone........ Hopefully as time goes on I'll spend less time on Zoopla and more time doing my day to day job lol!!
    • dinkylink
    • By dinkylink 11th Jan 18, 11:15 PM
    • 150 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    dinkylink
    Completed in July 2015, still check Rightmove most days lol
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 12th Jan 18, 7:30 AM
    • 14,586 Posts
    • 40,164 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I think a lot of us still do.

I've still got the alert set up for this area I'm in now (not my home area) and I guess I'm checking that out to see if I got the best deal I could for my available amount of money and in disbelief as to whether most of them are as unmodernised as mine was when I bought it. Answer - I did get the best available for the money and...yes...most of them are also unmodernised (as this one was until I started ripping it apart) so I would have had to do loadsa work/spend loadsa money on most of them.

Every so often I check out (nicer than I had) houses in my home area - on the basis someone has to win those premium bonds and lottery prizes at interval - so you never know....and could usually tell you a couple I'd go and view if I could.

.....and...yes...I checked out my last house to see when it sold again and how much for. It has been sold again already - and for quite a bit more (high house price inflation area)

I guess it's basically for confirmation that I "did the best I could" with the amount of money I had available to me. I'm someone that likes to feel I've made the best use possible of "level of resources available to me".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 12-01-2018 at 7:33 AM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,649Posts Today

11,383Users online

Martin's Twitter