Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • celestius
    • By celestius 11th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    • 1,074Posts
    • 448Thanks
    celestius
    Best date to close Ebay shop
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:08 PM
    Best date to close Ebay shop 11th Jan 18 at 1:08 PM
    My last invoice was 16th November to 15th December.

I have completely lost interest in running my shop, I have around 60 multi-variation listings, all old stock that needs to go cheaply.

I want to close my shop and auction everything off, when is the best time to do it so that I get the most out of the shop fee I will pay this month?
Page 1
    • Rhymsta
    • By Rhymsta 11th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Rhymsta
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    Just been through this and after the price for keeping a shop in mothballs went above £40 a month I said enough is enough!

So I closed my shop which was in a 'seller is away,' state not realising that as soon as I did so all my listing would go live and I started getting orders which I wasn't at all ready for... lots of trips to the depths of the loft etc....

With regard to closure timing the listings just carry on to the date they were originally set up for so it would depend where you are in the cycle for your listings if you've got them set up to automatically relist.
    Last edited by Rhymsta; 11-01-2018 at 2:40 PM. Reason: Added info
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 59,743 Posts
    • 42,408 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    Just been through this and after the price for keeping a shop in mothballs went above £40 a month I said enough is enough!

So I closed my shop which was in a 'seller is away,' state not realising that as soon as I did so all my listing would go live and I started getting orders which I wasn't at all ready for... lots of trips to the depths of the loft etc....

With regard to closure timing the listings just carry on to the date they were originally set up for so it would depend where you are in the cycle for your listings if you've got them set up to automatically relist.
    Originally posted by Rhymsta
    A basic shop is £25 plus VAT currently so if you were paying £40 then something was wrong somewhere!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Rhymsta
    • By Rhymsta 11th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Rhymsta
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:08 PM
    A basic shop is £25 plus VAT currently so if you were paying £40 then something was wrong somewhere!
    Originally posted by soolin
    From Nov 2017 Invoice

Insertion Fees 0.12
    Advanced Listing Upgrade Fees 10.80
    Subscription and one time fees 30.00
    Total = £40.92

Same price in August, September and October even though I wasn't trading at all.

In July it was around £30.
    • celestius
    • By celestius 11th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 1,074 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    celestius
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:17 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:17 PM

I thought all listings would be ended?
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 59,743 Posts
    • 42,408 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    From Nov 2017 Invoice

Insertion Fees 0.12
    Advanced Listing Upgrade Fees 10.80
    Subscription and one time fees 30.00
    Total = £40.92

Same price in August, September and October even though I wasn't trading at all.

In July it was around £30.
    That doesn't alter the fact that a basic shop is £25 plus VAT. You had chosen to pay extra for listing upgrades and one extra listing, which accounts for the extra £10.12. The basic shop listing would have given you 250 BIN listings and 50 auctions and as long as you didn't sell anything and had removed the extras you would have paid just the basic shop fee.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Rhymsta
    • By Rhymsta 11th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    • 474 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Rhymsta
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:26 PM
    That doesn't alter the fact that a basic shop is £25 plus VAT. You had chosen to pay extra for listing upgrades and one extra listing, which accounts for the extra £10.12. The basic shop listing would have given you 250 BIN listings and 50 auctions and as long as you didn't sell anything and had removed the extras you would have paid just the basic shop fee.
    Originally posted by soolin
    Not sure what you're getting at but I actually said keeping my shop in mothballs was costing me over £40 which was correct.

Anyway to help the original poster... no the listings didn't end which was my problem as I said.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 11,713 Posts
    • 7,911 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:29 PM
    Not sure what you're getting at but I actually said keeping my shop in mothballs was costing me over £40 which was correct.

Anyway to help the original poster... no the listings didn't end which was my problem as I said.
    A shop doesn't cost £40, that's the point. Your mothballing isn't down to a shop cost, but your extras.

Just to add, http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/questions/close-store.html says that [exclusive] BINS will end automatically - they do.
    • Rhymsta
    • By Rhymsta 12th Jan 18, 8:35 AM
    • 474 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    Rhymsta
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:35 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:35 AM
    Never said the shop alone cost £40 what you call Extras were and parcel of the deal as far as I'm concerned.... just wanted to keep my listings untouched while I took a break which went on longer than anticipated for personal reasons.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 12th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 11,713 Posts
    • 7,911 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    Never said the shop alone cost £40 what you call Extras were and parcel of the deal as far as I'm concerned.... just wanted to keep my listings untouched while I took a break which went on longer than anticipated for personal reasons.
    You seem to be missing the point soolin was making. The shop cost is £30. In the second post you moaned about "Just been through this and after the price for keeping a shop in mothballs went above £40 a month I said enough is enough!"

Keeping a shop in mothballs and one certainly which had the listings switched off should have been at the £30 rate. You failed to remove the extras you were paying for, which ironically weren't worth having while your shop was switched in the holiday mode. For 3 months you were paying £40; £10 a month too much for a shop in holiday mode.
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 12th Jan 18, 9:35 AM
    • 359 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    Back to the OP's actual question.

My accounts show the shop as being charged for the 16th thru to the 15th of the month.
    My available free listings etc show as the 1st to the 31st.

I will be cancelling my featured shop this month on the evening of the 15th and reverting to a basic shop on the morning of the 16th
    I expect all 1600 listings up to stay live until they time out after 30 days.
    • Pierre De Grenoble
    • By Pierre De Grenoble 17th Jan 18, 12:43 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 208 Thanks
    Pierre De Grenoble
    This is just an update to ^^^^

I cancelled my featured shop on the evening of the 15th. (worth noting during the process was a page that stated that BIN's would finish as normal and GTC would renew at whatever rate is relevant.)

I was disappointed to receive an immediate email saying the shop would be kept open until the 1st of Feb. I can sorta see the logic there but was annoyed at the thought of having to pay 2 extra weeks fees.

This morning I could see in my account that eBay had in fact charged for a full month Jan 16th- Feb 15th.

Thankfully CS was in Dublin, who could see and understand the problem and I was told the shop would still be kept open until Feb 1st but I would be refunded the whole Featured shop fee (which has happened)

The rep. could not see / did not know of any reason why the system had charged me.

I'm no longer certain that a shop should be closed on the 15th. but I am certain that if anybody choses to close a shop that they should keep an eye on what eBay charges.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

174Posts Today

1,355Users online

Martin's Twitter