Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • anna.buch
    • By anna.buch 11th Jan 18, 12:50 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    anna.buch
    FIT Solar panels - HELP!
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:50 PM
    FIT Solar panels - HELP! 11th Jan 18 at 12:50 PM
    Hi,
    My partner and I have recently bought a house which already had solar panels installed. However, after some investigation, it has now been confirmed that although they were installed five and a half years ago they were not registered for the FIT payment scheme.
    We contacted ofgem and they said that as the solar panels were installed and not registered before Jan 2016, we do not qualify for the FIT payments and therefore will be unable to benefit from the surplus energy we feed into the grid.
    My question would be has anyone else had this situation and is there a way I can appeal as the panels are on our roof generating energy feeding back into the grid yet because the old owners didnít doo there part we receive no benefit?
    All help and points in the right direction are fully welcomed!
    Thanks.
Page 1
    • ASavvyBuyer
    • By ASavvyBuyer 11th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    ASavvyBuyer
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:05 PM
    Sorry, but Ofgem are correct.

This is someting that your solicitor/conveyancer should have confirmed when you were buying the property.

Did you mention to your solicitor that the house had solar PV?

You will still benefit from using the electricity they generate, but unfortunately, you won't get the FIT or Export payments.

I suggest you also post on the Green & Ethical thread, as that is where most people with Solar PV post, and there are some useful ideas to make the most of what you have got.
    Last edited by ASavvyBuyer; 11-01-2018 at 1:08 PM. Reason: Green & Ethical Thread advice.
    Rhondda Cynon Taf, 4kWp, W roof, 30į pitch, 16 x 8.33 Eternity 250w E+10 panels, Solar Edge SE4000-16A Inverter + P300 Optimisers & REUK Diverter
    + Toshiba RAS-10G2KVP-E Ultra High Efficiency Air Conditioner/Heat Pump
    • anna.buch
    • By anna.buch 11th Jan 18, 1:25 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    anna.buch
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:25 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:25 PM
    Sorry, but Ofgem are correct.

This is someting that your solicitor/conveyancer should have confirmed when you were buying the property.

Did you mention to your solicitor that the house had solar PV?

You will still benefit from using the electricity they generate, but unfortunately, you won't get the FIT or Export payments.

I suggest you also post on the Green & Ethical thread, as that is where most people with Solar PV post, and there are some useful ideas to make the most of what you have got.
    Originally posted by ASavvyBuyer

Thank you for your help! Though you've confirmed my fears! Yes the solicitor knew about the panels however when I contacted them they now say they knew they were not connected but as the previous owner had no documentation for the panels they couldn't say if we would receive a payment.
    All very annoying to think we are creating the energy but not financially benefit from them. However I will 100% visit the suggested page and hopefully make the most of them in some way!
    Thanks
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    Just a thought, annabuch, but are you certain your vendor owned the panels? If they were free then the company who provided them will have the FIT payments rather than the owner of the house. Apologies if this is not applicable.
    What is this life if, sweet wordsmith, we have no time to take the pith?
    Every stew starts with the first onion.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 11th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    ajbell
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    If that is true then the solicitor has really !!!!ed up and the OP is in serious trouble.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    Why? What I don't understand, unless the vendor also bought the property with the panels already in place, is why they did not register them (if applicable). You don't shell out £000s not to benefit from every penny you can get. In any case, at least the OP can have some free juice, weather permitting of course.
    Last edited by Smodlet; 11-01-2018 at 8:41 PM.
    I took it upon myself to investigate a trifle; it had custard, jelly, soggy sponge things...
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 11th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 934 Posts
    • 2,997 Thanks
    ajbell
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:53 PM
    Why?. Because in that case someone else would own their roof for 25 years.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 11th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    Smodlet
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    No, they wouldn't. The company lease the airspace above the roof; the roof remains the property of the homeowner. If ASG own my roof they can come and clear the gutters out!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 12th Jan 18, 8:32 AM
    • 4,822 Posts
    • 2,952 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:32 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:32 AM
    Why? What I don't understand, unless the vendor also bought the property with the panels already in place, is why they did not register them (if applicable). You don't shell out £000s not to benefit from every penny you can get. In any case, at least the OP can have some free juice, weather permitting of course.
    Originally posted by Smodlet
    A number of people appear to have believed, mistakenly, that the registration would be a matter for the installer. Others didn't appreciate that there was a deadline for retrospective registrations. Interestingly, looking at the latest Law Society TA6, there is reference to panels and roof leases but nothing about FIT payments.
    • Smodlet
    • By Smodlet 12th Jan 18, 1:58 PM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 4,864 Thanks
    Smodlet
    A number of people appear to have believed, mistakenly, that the registration would be a matter for the installer. Others didn't appreciate that there was a deadline for retrospective registrations. Interestingly, looking at the latest Law Society TA6, there is reference to panels and roof leases but nothing about FIT payments.
    Originally posted by Hengus

I have the impression, since the FIT payments were reduced, that solar panel companies find it far less profitable than it was to provide free panels. ASG's website now pushes energy switching first and the panels are very much in second place. It even states they will resume fitting free panels in 2017, implying they stopped altogether at one point. They do make a point of saying those of us who already have them have no need for concern so they must be making some money out of us (as if I care) I just want the free leccy; it does make a difference, especially if used wisely.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

858Posts Today

6,783Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin