Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 11th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 196Posts
    • 74Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Fraudsters are using fake NatWest texts to trick customers
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    MSE News: Fraudsters are using fake NatWest texts to trick customers 11th Jan 18 at 12:18 PM
    Fraudsters are tricking victims into handing over personal details by sending fake texts which appear to be genuine NatWest messages - and have used the sophisticated scam to steal more than £100 from one woman...
    Read the full story:
    'Fraudsters are using fake NatWest texts to trick customers into handing over personal details'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 12-01-2018 at 2:14 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • aj23
    • By aj23 11th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    aj23
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:34 PM
    Don't people know by now that banks never ask you to do these things by text?
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 11th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 1,910 Posts
    • 1,074 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    Not only NatWest, but also customers of HSBC, Barclays, Lloyds, Halifax and others have been targeted by this scam. All work the same way, with messages appearing to come from the named bank.

Another long-running version of the scam is a text message that asks the recipient to call an 084 or 087 number. Banks no longer use those numbers, the practice having been banned in October 2015.
    Last edited by Ian011; 11-01-2018 at 6:51 PM.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 11th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 898 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    In the past month Iíve had a text from 3 telling me that the 3 app will stop working soon and giving me a link to update it, one from Barclays which had a link in it and, today, one from Experian asking me to follow a link to provide feedback on my recent visit to the site.
    All ignored.

My three app is still working fine, by the way
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

319Posts Today

3,908Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin