Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GoldenGaze
    • By GoldenGaze 11th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    GoldenGaze
    Missing Parcel
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    Missing Parcel 11th Jan 18 at 10:56 AM
    Iím just after some advice regarding a parcel that has been marked as delivered via Royal Mail Tracked from an online order I placed only the parcel has not arrived and I didnít receive a card indicating it had been left with a neighbour, Iíve also tried my neighbours just in case the postman/lady left it their without leaving a card but to no avail.

Now Iíve contacted the online shop explaining this and theyíve basically washed their hands with it from their end saying ĎAs your parcel was dispatched from us without error, and has been marked by the couriers as delivered, we are no longer able to provide further assistance with the receipt of your parcel.Ď

This doesnít seem correct to me as surely they have some responsibility for the item reaching me, theyíve informed me that I must now contact Royal Mail myself but Iím not happy with this and would like any information on what my rights are in such a case.
Page 1
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 11th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 5,637 Posts
    • 5,338 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:44 AM
    The online shop contracted to supply and deliver the goods to you, so it sounds like they are in breach of contract.

In theory, you could ask your bank for a chargeback on the payment card (or section 75 claim) or make a claim through the small claims court.

But the online shop would probably try to defend it by showing the delivery confirmation.

It might be worth contacting Royal Mail to see what they say (perhaps their delivery person will remember more details). If nothing else, it would make your claim sound more credible, if you can show that you've made some efforts to track down the parcel.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    • 19,139 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    Did the delivery method require a signature? If so ask the seller to provide you with a copy of the signature, and if it's not yours (which it won't be) then you have some evidence to back up a card claim, or if necessary court action.
    • GoldenGaze
    • By GoldenGaze 11th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    GoldenGaze
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    Did the delivery method require a signature? If so ask the seller to provide you with a copy of the signature, and if it's not yours (which it won't be) then you have some evidence to back up a card claim, or if necessary court action.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    No it wasnít ĎSigned Forí it was a tracked and Iím pretty sure it holds GPS position from where it was claimed to be delivered to. Iíll contact Royal Mail now to see what they say but to say Iím disappointed at the online retailers response is an understatement.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 11th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 19,139 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:01 PM
    The problem you may face is that RM might refuse to speak to you as you were not their customer, you would need to go through the retailer. If they refuse to assist then that would be ammunition to support your case.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 11th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 32,857 Posts
    • 27,616 Thanks
    custardy
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    The problem you may face is that RM might refuse to speak to you as you were not their customer, you would need to go through the retailer. If they refuse to assist then that would be ammunition to support your case.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    They will speak to the OP without issue.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    • 19,139 Posts
    • 14,820 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    They will speak to the OP without issue.
    Originally posted by custardy
    Obviously you know considerably more than I do about the way RM works so I accept what you say, but they must be one of the few organisations in the country that would discuss a contractual issue with someone who is not a party to that contract.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,030Posts Today

10,542Users online

Martin's Twitter