Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• Hopefulwaft
    • By Hopefulwaft 11th Jan 18, 8:08 AM
    • 64Posts
    • 745Thanks
    Email Management
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:08 AM
    Email Management 11th Jan 18 at 8:08 AM
    Hi all and happy new year.

I am starting 2018 with a renewed vigour having gone through 2017 without a single win despite 1000s of entries.

One thing I would like to do is try and better stay on top of my inbox.

I am sure we all have the same problem. I have set up a separate comping only email address. You can meticulously avoid all of the tick / untick boxes but still quickly acquire subscriptions, newsletters and a whole manner of things cluttering up your emails daily.

It is becoming quite a chore to keep it manageable and we run the risk of missing a winners email amidst the melee.

So. can people share any tips for keeping on top of this. Do you risk disqualification if you unsubscribe before the competition end? Etc
    2016: Joseph Cheaney Shoes; Rival Sons album
    2017: ......
Page 1
    • booklover500
    • By booklover500 11th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 3,753 Thanks
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    I would be interested to know too if you are disqualified if you unsubscribe before the comp ends as I can't keep track of them all.

Companies that email monthly I don't worry about but those that email every day really annoy me and sometimes I unsubscribe, only to enter another comp run by them and I'm back on the list.

I am also really careful about tick boxes etc and have a separate address for comping.

Sometimes I just skim read all the senders/subject of the emails and delete them all as it can be quicker than unsubscribing.

A couple of wins have come into my spam and for one of them my reply ended up in the company's spam but luckily they checked and I got my prize.
    • hamsterfan1
    • By hamsterfan1 11th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 7,885 Posts
    • 73,005 Thanks
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:23 AM
    I check regularly and delete as I go
    prood gran to 4 lovely boys
    • Zanzib
    • By Zanzib 11th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 4,158 Posts
    • 59,925 Thanks
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:07 PM
    When the sales are on at various points across the year the emails are pretty obvious not wins, so unless it's something I'm interested in buying anything with x% off immediately goes into the trash.

The rest get a quick look and either deleted or retained in my inbox.

But I do check and clear a couple of times a day to stay on top of it.
    • WoodyAllenJesus
    • By WoodyAllenJesus 11th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 777 Thanks
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:32 PM
    I use an iphone so it is really easy to just quickly check both my email account Inboxes and delete as I go. I try to keep on top of the Junk folder too, and check/delete whenever I have a few minutes spare. It's easy to spot the obvious non-wems and any that look like they might be a wem I leave in there to check properly in the evening.

It took me ages to get organised with it all though.
    • Bobble5366
    • By Bobble5366 11th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 518 Posts
    • 3,151 Thanks
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    I use outlook and then search emails using keywords like Congratulations Congrats or WInner - it picks all of these words in the title and body of the email. I check emails too just to be in the safe side - not forgetting then spam where winning emails have been put. Hope this helps and happy comping
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,871Posts Today

5,134Users online

Martin's Twitter