Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kerry Anley
    • By Kerry Anley 11th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kerry Anley
    Remortgages for expats
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:02 AM
    Remortgages for expats 11th Jan 18 at 8:02 AM
    We are British citizens but moved to SA 5 years ago. We have 2 properties in the UK with substantial equity in them. One of the houses we want to remortgage so we can send the money to SA to put into our South African mortgage. The interest rates here are 9%. We have been told because we were out the country for more than 1.5 years we can't just simply remortgage. Both houses in the UK have low interest rates and long term tenants in them.
    Please can someone help as we desperately need to get the money out of one of the houses.
Page 1
    • amnblog
    • By amnblog 11th Jan 18, 8:18 AM
    • 10,152 Posts
    • 3,970 Thanks
    amnblog
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:18 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:18 AM
    There are some opinions over here for ex pats to remortgage and you need a broker with relevant experience.

The two major barriers are:

Some of the smaller lenders credit score and if you have been out of the Country for 5 years that is unlikely to work for you,

Others wont lend at the low levels often requested by ex pats and are interested in +250K deals only.
    I am a Mortgage Broker

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,310Posts Today

8,571Users online

Martin's Twitter