Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jan 18, 5:13 AM
    • 1,357Posts
    • 13,095Thanks
    O/S Daily Thursday 11th January 2018
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:13 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 11th January 2018 11th Jan 18 at 5:13 AM
    This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 2
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 11th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 12,408 Posts
    • 38,633 Thanks
    Good morning lovelies

Jackiemum Im with you on the joint pain agony this morning. BBC weather should contact us. Hope Frank passes peacefully and soon its been so hard on Margaret.

Enjoyed my savoy special last night but I think Gordon Ramsey may have had something to say about my slightly lumpy white sauce. Usually turns out perfect but the same recipe and same technique resulted in a few lumps.

Off to see my new orthopaedic doctor today. Im torn really as I would prefer to have my op in my own town rather than having to travel so far to the other hospital but it is a real centre of excellence fact the hip replacement was invented there so the treatment should be good. Hoping he will be able to give me an idea as to the list length doesn't bode well with all the news of cancelled hip ops but at least this hospital doesn't have an A+E so hoping they are not so manic.

Fancy an all day brekky tonight so have got a big pack of sausages out then I can do a sausage casserole tomorrow

Right best get on have a great day all
    • Judi
    • By Judi 11th Jan 18, 10:06 AM
    • 15,839 Posts
    • 67,707 Thanks
    Morning all,

Dumpling please don't let Becky come home until your happy with the arrangements for discharge. You've been down this road before.

JackieO Margaret is in a horrible place right now. She knows Frank is dying and accepts it but to watch the gradual deterioration is torture for those who love him. I hope Franks 'passing' is soon and pain free.

'Prodigal' has not long left the house. He came for a feed. Ive told him so many times that id rather he came when his brother or Dad is in but he keeps coming when I'm on my own. He's safe enough when he's sober and 'clean' but I never know what state he is in when he comes to the door. All the cameras in the world cant tell me that. It seems his problem isn't with me its with his Dad... Everyone has issues with his Dad but at least I know he is well.

I go through periods of "I cant cope with this rubbish" and periods of "I'm strong enough to cope with anything" but reaching out for the anti D's is tempting.

Karcher thinking of you.

Onwards and forwards,

have a great day all.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 11th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 1,954 Posts
    • 23,851 Thanks
    Thinking of Frank and Margaret JackieO it's so tough on everyone, bless you all x
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 11th Jan 18, 1:24 PM
    • 1,921 Posts
    • 18,774 Thanks
    Afternoon ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one. Special hugs for jackie O and her family, this is such a difficult and stressful time for them all. I pray the end is peaceful.

Well a reasonable sleep last night. OH not too clever but I left him in bed and went and did the shopping, he has been moaning about his head since I got back, I wish the letter would come from the neurologist and see if there is something that will make him more comfortable.

Spent £71 in Aldi, but I have not been since before Christmas, so quite happy with that, bought meat and fish, found a small half shoulder of lamb which will do us a couple of suppers. Both the fridge freezer and the sewing room freezer are full and the tin cupboard is not looking too bad.

I am about to put my feet up for a rest..............
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 11th Jan 18, 2:52 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 8,703 Thanks
    Afternoon all.
    I had some sad news today too . My best friend of 35 years lost her lovely Mum this morning. She was such fun, always called me " Kid " and would tap my arm till it was black and blue . She had Dementia and was in a home for the last year, but she was fine physically over the Xmas period. It feels doubly sad as it's coming up to the anniversary of my Mums passing in Feb too.
    Anyway I have just come back from Dads where I have cleaned the house and changed his bedding. He was in a much better mood today, so I can cope when he's like that. I can't just leave him to get with things, as it's not in my nature and there is only me left.
    On the plus side Mr Fix It has cleaned my house too, well the downstairs . So I shall go and have a relaxing bubble bath later, "because I'm worth it ".
    Tea tonight will be Xmas pie, chips and peas and I may have some gravy with mine. Did relent and ask Dad so will see if he turns up. Probably will if there is a home cooked meal going.
    JackieO I am thinking of Frank and Margaret. I am also sending you a gentle hug for your joints.
    Tru lovely to hear from you. I'm glad you're ok.
    Sending healing vibes to all the poorlies and the Sandman to the sleepless. Hugs to anyone who would like one or two, or more
    Take care everyone, love to all.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Jan 18, 6:30 PM
    • 365 Posts
    • 4,511 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    A proper Good Morning to one & all.

To all those in pain, I am sending healing vibes through the ether. I am continually grateful to each of you for your inspiration and determination in everything you do.

Today the plan is to finish sorting the cupboard in the kitchen - I am aiming for at least a 25% reduction in what gets put back. The non returned stuff will be regifted, recycled or cs’d or in the case of edibles binned.

Then up to the bathroom - empty & clean bathroom cabinet then be brutal with contents. Then up the stepladder and a quick wash of the walls, woodwork etc. Then the wheedling can commence - my DH is decorating spare bedroom for my DSis moving in & is using bath as a repository for the decorating equipment! We also had a little 4 footed visitor last year so bath panel was removed to sort out the little blighters access point. Unfortunately DH still to do the full mending! So wheedling & bribery (some hm biscuits) so I can scrub all the porcelain and wash floor.

Now I have stated the plan, a cup of tea and then start!

Successes & “non-successes” will be reported tonight!

Have a good day everyone - positive, wellness & healing vibes to all who need or want them.

Originally posted by Mrs Salad Dodger
    Back again!

1. Kitchen cupboard - 1 empty shelf out of 3 - so 33.3%. Biscuit tin full of baking tools to be gifted to great niece, 5 small glass jars into cs bag, contents of said glass jars binned.
    2. Bathroom cabinet emptied, cleaned & sorted out. One broken electric toothbrush binned.
    3. Walls washed, tiles washed, paintwork washed, floor washed and sink, bath & loo cleaned

No wheedling or bribery of DH - so will have to try tomorrow.

I am quite chuffed though, so will love you & leave you.

Have a good evening & night & I will ‘see’ you all tomorrow.

• JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jan 18, 9:40 PM
    • 15,649 Posts
    • 132,659 Thanks
    Hi chums thanks for your kind wishes.Eldest DD is in London tonight to see F & M she texted me to say he is mostly sleeping all the time now and is not eating a great deal ,but the nurses who come in said not to make him if he doesn't want to.

I managed to get an hour and a half nap this afternoon, TV on low and a boring movie and feet up on a hot water bottle and off I went feel a bit better at the moment The weather is pretty damp and drear so I'm glad I'm indoors in the warm.

Keep warm and ry chums if you can

Love 'n'stuff

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    2018 Food spend so far this year
    Jan; £29.22. Feb:£30.49 March £19.11
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 11th Jan 18, 10:10 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 47,981 Thanks
    Evening all,

Seem tp have caught the insomnia bug......didnt sleep at all last night, up early this morning to take OH for Warfarin phone call so result must be ok.

Its been very foggy here all day, I hate fog, seems to bring out all my aches and pains.

JackieO......sorry for Margaret and Frank and all the grandchildren.....I remember how devastated my children were when my parents died within 8 weeks of each other in 1994.

We are having DD4's 3 girls for their first sleepover tomorrow night....DGD6, 17 months, wakes several times per was all DD2's idea, so she will be responding to that, although to be fair, DD4 and DSIL to be, they could do with a decent night's sleep.

Gentle, warm hugs to all in any one ill, with ill relatives or any other troubles.

Weight 08 February 86kg
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,420Posts Today

8,413Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have you planned how to finance your funeral? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll...

• If you're coming to the ideal home show today, I'm taking at 2. Do come along. To whet the appetite, here's a pic f?

• Today's twitter poll: When u see a disabled toilet, whether in a restaurant, station or elsewhere, if there's no ot?

• Follow Martin