Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jan 18, 5:13 AM
    • 1,237Posts
    • 11,423Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    O/S Daily Thursday 11th January 2018
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:13 AM
    O/S Daily Thursday 11th January 2018 11th Jan 18 at 5:13 AM
    This is an ďover the garden fenceĒ type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. Itís a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things weíre going to do today or what weíve achieved already. Everyoneís welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasnít just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please donít post large pictures, or clip art Ė links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that donít have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
Page 1
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jan 18, 5:22 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 11,423 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:22 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:22 AM
    Morning everyone

Iíve only managed three hours sleep last night, and even that was tossing and turning. I think a nap will be needed this afternoon. There are a lot of us struggling to sleep again at the moment. Iíve managed to get a load of washing done though and have stripped my bed and will put the sheet and duvet cover in shortly, so the time hasnít been wasted.

It sounds like a good idea to organise a kind of rota for visiting your mum nmlc. It will help you all. If you keep on trying to work, run your home and visit daily you will just end up worn out and will make yourself ill, which wonít help your mum.

Karcher Iím sorry that you feeling so low right now. I also think a chat with your GP would be a good idea. Take care of yourself.

TA glad that you are slowly on the mend. Iím not surprised that you didnít sleep after the visit from the police.

Redruby ouch! To the £200 bill for something which isnít your fault. I hope that you get the money out of the car wash company.

Thanks for the link to the article Gers, it was interesting reading. I donít have an AMD processor in my computer it is an Intel. The computer repair man said that what happened was something similar.

Nelski I totally agree about the Skyr. I think it is one of the marmite things, you either love it or dislike it. Iím with you in the dislike camp.

If you are reading along, Iíve been thinking of you Tru. I hope that you are alright.

I got my computer back late yesterday afternoon. He had to do a clean install of Windows 10, so I have the update it was trying to install now anyhow, and to be honest, I wish I didnít. I donít like it at all. On the plus side he transferred everything back from my laptop that he had got off the hard drive yesterday, and I havenít lost anything. So apart from the cost through no fault of my own it is all sorted.

Iím taking the advice to take things easy, I think I tried to run before I could walk earlier in the week and made myself feel worse. I have an appointment with my GP later today and other than that wonít be doing anything.

Take care everyone.

Have a good day everyone whatever you are doing.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 11th Jan 18, 5:24 AM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 15,518 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:24 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:24 AM
    Morning Hollyharvey and those who will be here soon.
    I'm up and pottering before work, I don't need to start getting ready for a while.
    I have no interesting news, just wanted to say hello and JackieO am thinking of your Frank.
    Hope everyone has as good a day as possible.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • tru
    • By tru 11th Jan 18, 5:34 AM
    • 8,604 Posts
    • 43,741 Thanks
    tru
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:34 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:34 AM
    Morning

I'm OK thanks camelot and Hollyharvey xx Just getting on with things happily, though I don't feel quite right for some reason

My crochet mojo has definitely returned, I've even designed a couple of small things - I can't usually come up with anything original so am extremely proud of myself, lol Ė and I'm planning a takeover of a small space in the house for myself. I can't have a craft room/office yet (kids do move out eventually, yes?) so I'm going to steal the space in the corner of the lounge. We hung the door the other way to give us more room in the lounge, when the door is open, which is most of the time, it felt like it cut the end of the room off Ė now it just hides one corner which I've decided is mine It needs to be functional but I don't want it to look like an office so I'm trying to come up with ideas to make it look nice.

I'll put some towels in the washing machine in a mo, do some work then spend a lot of the day crocheting and searching Pinterest for pretty office ideas

Bulletproof
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 11th Jan 18, 6:16 AM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 40,053 Thanks
    nmlc
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:16 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:16 AM
    Morning everyone

Hollyharvey - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit.

Dinner last night was chicken, roasties, carrots, peas, LO cauli/broc cheese, LO yorkshires and gravy, so no waste. Tonight will be fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg.

Work yesterday wasn't as busy, but steady, I'm now on days' off, although today I have to go into work for training, I have my day all planned - I'll be going into town to visit the bank and building society first thing, straight from there over to work for the training, then once training is finished I'll go straight to the hospital (which is in the opposite direction) have an hour with mum, then back to local town for an appointment, then home - hopefully it will all work ok.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • dumpling
    • By dumpling 11th Jan 18, 6:18 AM
    • 1,302 Posts
    • 18,211 Thanks
    dumpling
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:18 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:18 AM
    Good morning everyone

It's a bit chilly here this morning so I am going to go and get washed and dressed in a minute. Steve made me a cup of tea before he left for work so that is helping to warm me up a bit.

I spoke to Becky last night and she seems convinced that they are going to discharge her on the 16th but so far I haven't heard anything from the hospital about it. I hope it's true but there needs to be some sort of plans in place for all of us as a family.

I cooked a simple meal last night of salmon, new potatoes, green beans, broccoli and parsley sauce. It was so lovely I have ordered more salmon for next week while Tesco has it on a 3 for £10 deal. Tonight I don't have a clue what to cook so I will go and have a look in the outside freezer.

I am still in quite a lot of pain so will be having another day of 'sit and knit'. I made the cutest little sloth yesterday which was quickly nabbed by Lilly so I will make a few more as they don't take long to do. That reminds me, I must order a few more balls of tinsel wool so I can have a family of them .

I hope all of you poorlies and stressed feel a lot better soon. Sending out a load of hugs to everyone who wants one, take care xx
    Weight Loss Challenge - 6lbs/20lbs
    January Grocery Challenge - £370/£400
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Jan 18, 6:31 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:31 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:31 AM
    Morning

I'm OK thanks camelot and Hollyharvey xx Just getting on with things happily, though I don't feel quite right for some reason

My crochet mojo has definitely returned, I've even designed a couple of small things - I can't usually come up with anything original so am extremely proud of myself, lol Ė and I'm planning a takeover of a small space in the house for myself. I can't have a craft room/office yet (kids do move out eventually, yes?) so I'm going to steal the space in the corner of the lounge. We hung the door the other way to give us more room in the lounge, when the door is open, which is most of the time, it felt like it cut the end of the room off Ė now it just hides one corner which I've decided is mine It needs to be functional but I don't want it to look like an office so I'm trying to come up with ideas to make it look nice.

I'll put some towels in the washing machine in a mo, do some work then spend a lot of the day crocheting and searching Pinterest for pretty office ideas

Originally posted by tru
    Tru, could you put a small shelving unit on the wall & store your yarn avoiding using floor space? there appear to be plenty of ideas on tíweb under the heading Creative Yarn Storage.
    Hope this helps.

Enjoy the crocheting!

MrsSD
    • TravellingAbuela
    • By TravellingAbuela 11th Jan 18, 6:41 AM
    • 3,756 Posts
    • 23,632 Thanks
    TravellingAbuela
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:41 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:41 AM
    Morning folks. Thanks HOLLY for another early start and welcome back TRU, you have had us all worried.

I seem to have ended up with a busy day ahead - this will test my GUAG which I haven't seen since late November when the virus first struck.

First the DGDs will be to waken, feed and water and take to school (adding chaos somewhere along the line) then a quick tidy round and off to Aldi. Don't need much but trying to get back into the Thursday shopping day routine. Back to school at 11.45 to collect middle DGD (our "Margot") to deliver to the chaperone who is taking her to the Alhambra for her matinee performance. I need to pack her a lunch to eat in the car on the journey there.

This afternoon is my own but I have the customary Thursday Bolognese Bake to make at some point for the DGDs descending again tonight - 2 after swimming and "Margot" after her panto performance. I haven't had to make one since before Christmas as my DGD minding hours have been reduced, what with illness and one thing and another.

Yesterday's promised clean of the kitchen never happened (I looked and shut the door!) but I did go upstairs and do a small backlog of ironing so not entirely lazy! Maybe this afternoon it will get done! I need to get myself moving again before lounging on the sofa becomes a way of life!

JACKIE just read your late post, Poor Margaret she must be exhausted poor soul. I so feel for her x

Well better waken up the 3 girls so ((HUGS)) to all the poorlies, sad or worried who want them. KARCHER especially who sounds so low. Take care all xx

ps meant to add a comment on the Skyr yogurt. Whilst I was ill and not eating their Honey flavoured variety kept me going, topped with a big spoonful of raspberries and a squirt of Sweet Freedom choc sauce. Yummy!
    Last edited by TravellingAbuela; 11-01-2018 at 6:47 AM.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 11th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    • 3,641 Posts
    • 42,673 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:51 AM
    Morning All

Pleased to hear you're ok tru, hope you find something suitable for all your things.
    Poor Margaret JackieO, such a horrid time.
    Hope your DM continues to improve nmlc.
    Your dinner sounds lovely dumpling, I'll be coming round to yours later!
    Ouch to the car repair RR, hope you get reimbursed.

Cold and a little foggy this morning, hope it clears before I go to work, there are always idiots without lights on the road.

DW emptied but that's about it, really must find some energy from somewhere, didn't even go for my short walk yesterday, maybe today will be better!

Have a happy Thursday, take care. XX
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 11th Jan 18, 6:56 AM
    • 1,237 Posts
    • 11,423 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    Just popped back to say JackieO I have only just read your post on yesterday's thread. I hope that you managed to ease your joint pain and get some sleep.

I'm sorry to hear about Frank, and I hope that his passing is peaceful. Poor Margaret it must be so hard for her and it sounds like she is struggling now. It is good that she has strong family support around her and has you that she knows she can phone when things are getting too much. Take care of yourself as well. x
    • Gers
    • By Gers 11th Jan 18, 7:14 AM
    • 6,023 Posts
    • 36,509 Thanks
    Gers
    Morning everyone.

Another cold dark start to the day though I was warm in bed overnight and ended up with my feet sticking out.

JackieO - hopefully Frankís passing will be peaceful.

TA - please take things easy still. Our bodies need rest to recover from illness, thereís no benefit to a clean kitchen and a wrecked body.

My day will be fairly easy. Iíve got a local woman to take to the doctor followed by some shopping and then Iím heading down to Glasgow for a couple of days. For the first 30 miles of that drive the road actually goes north before turning south for the next 70 miles or so.

My favourite cousin has booked to fly across from Berlin in March for my DMs 90th birthday. She wants a small group of people to go for afternoon tea so Iíll be looking for somewhere for that.

Perhaps I should start moving...anyway, I wish everyone a happy Thursday.
    • redruby
    • By redruby 11th Jan 18, 7:16 AM
    • 6,546 Posts
    • 90,786 Thanks
    redruby
    Morning all

Cold here again this morning I would just like to be able to stay in bed and keep warm and cosy for another few hours instead I am off to work with the very loud and needy Thursday group, I am always shattered after work but Thursdays are particularly tiring !

Something with chips for dinner tonight I will go and rummage in the freezer after this, I think there may be some breaded chicken portions in there somewhere.

Jackie my heart goes out to poor Margaret, its hard enough that she is losing her husband without having to do everything and be strong for her family I want to give her a big hug xx

Right I had better get moving, have good day all xx
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 11th Jan 18, 7:35 AM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 28,805 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Good morning all,

I didn't sleep well last night either - it was 2am before I fell asleep. No real reason for that. At 8pm I was so tired I could have happily gone to bed then so maybe I was over tired. It's looking like a cooking kind of day today. I need to make some soup as I'm back to healthy eating (appetite finally back after the virus). The cake/biscuit tin is also empty so I shall be making enquiries as to the HT's preferences before he heads off to school. Like dumpling I am hoping to do some more of my knitting today.

Thinking of Frank and Margaret and sending as much strength as I can to Margaret especially.

Take care all of you
    • Mrs Salad Dodger
    • By Mrs Salad Dodger 11th Jan 18, 7:40 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 2,461 Thanks
    Mrs Salad Dodger
    A proper Good Morning to one & all.

To all those in pain, I am sending healing vibes through the ether. I am continually grateful to each of you for your inspiration and determination in everything you do.

Today the plan is to finish sorting the cupboard in the kitchen - I am aiming for at least a 25% reduction in what gets put back. The non returned stuff will be regifted, recycled or cs’d or in the case of edibles binned.

Then up to the bathroom - empty & clean bathroom cabinet then be brutal with contents. Then up the stepladder and a quick wash of the walls, woodwork etc. Then the wheedling can commence - my DH is decorating spare bedroom for my DSis moving in & is using bath as a repository for the decorating equipment! We also had a little 4 footed visitor last year so bath panel was removed to sort out the little blighters access point. Unfortunately DH still to do the full mending! So wheedling & bribery (some hm biscuits) so I can scrub all the porcelain and wash floor.

Now I have stated the plan, a cup of tea and then start!

Successes & “non-successes” will be reported tonight!

Have a good day everyone - positive, wellness & healing vibes to all who need or want them.

MrsSD��
    • I Love comps
    • By I Love comps 11th Jan 18, 7:46 AM
    • 948 Posts
    • 3,063 Thanks
    I Love comps
    Morning Everyone,

Not been on for a few days. Had loads of paperwork regarding mom going into nursing home and from solicitor regarding getting deputyship. Well the cost of moms nursing home means I will be selling her home later this year-luckily she has savings to cover this year.
    I am back at work too.

Sending hugs to those who need them.

Have a good day all x
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping Boards. "I am a volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly.
    Any views are my own and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board Guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • ScarletRibbons
    • By ScarletRibbons 11th Jan 18, 7:48 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 1,668 Thanks
    ScarletRibbons
    Good morning everyone. Damp here, no doubt cold as well, but there doesn't seem to be any frost.
    I've got very little voice at the moment, it's been coming on for a few days, I know the symptoms. My throat seems to be a weak point.I'm croaking away, though it's not sore. Hope it doesn't develop any more than this.
    There seems to be a lot of illness and lack of motivation about. I must admit, i feel a bit "what's the point in anything" myself.
    I received news last night that an old friend is going into a hospice she's been ill for a few months, when I saw her last week I knew it couldn't be long.

I'm meeting up with someone I used to work with this morning, just in our town, so I can walk to the cafe. At the moment I don't feel like it, but I'll have to brighten myself up a bit.
    It's been a week for friends, I was in Newcastle yesterday meeting a friend that I don't see very often, we had a good gossip, but for some reason i was really tired on the bus home, and last night was nearly asleep in my chair, hey ho, I think my GUAG has cleared off too.

Nmlc, I see that you are thinking of a rota system for hospital visiting - we've done this with various family members over the years, and it's much better than trying to go every day, especially when you're working as well.
    I hope all the poorly people pick up a bit. It's a miserable time of year which doesn't help.

Having cheered everyone up no end, I'll b***er off.
    • tiredmum2
    • By tiredmum2 11th Jan 18, 8:49 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 2,911 Thanks
    tiredmum2
    Morning all
    Drizzly and grey here in Essex this morning Dolly has been walked and has taken up her usual position on the top of the sofa.
    Today I will be cleaning the floors need washing so i will get on with that in a bit after a cuppa
    Jackie O gentle hugs to you and Margaret as well as all the family
    Hugs to all those who need them wether struggling with illness or a stressful situation
    Have a great day whatever you are up to
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 11th Jan 18, 9:09 AM
    • 1,788 Posts
    • 14,095 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Gooooooooood morning

Yesterday evening I played football, first time in a good few weeks, so there was some rust but it was good to be back with the boys. Heavy fog set in half way through the game, so it made for quite an atmospheric match. Didn't really do too much aside from that.

Today is Thursday, which signals date night with my gran. I think she said roast beef was on the menu. As always, really looking forward to it. I've not had much of a chance to catch up with her of late due to illness so it'll be a good chin wag.

I'll probably leave around 9pm, so I'll head home, get sorted and have an early night I recon.

Jackie - May his passing be peaceful. Thinking of you and Margaret today.
    Gers - Are you out Campbeltown direction? I was there golfing last year and I remember the journey back being a similair one.
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • silver-oldie
    • By silver-oldie 11th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 262 Posts
    • 3,387 Thanks
    silver-oldie
    Good morning
    JackieO poor Margaret, such a difficult time, my thoughts are with you all.

Hugs to all those who need or want one.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 11th Jan 18, 9:48 AM
    • 15,446 Posts
    • 129,938 Thanks
    JackieO
    Hi chums thank you for your kind love and support Its awful knowing there is so little one can do for her.I eventually got off to sleep about three and was wide awake again by 7 so I think today will be a very quiet day doing not a great deal.

This morning maybe I will have the wireless on and just have a lie down on the sofa and maybe the background noise will send me off for a nap.
    I think my disturbed night is a combination of joint pain which has eased a bit and thinking about my friend Margaret .

Having been where she is now 14 years ago, and knowing there is nothing practical one can do its so sad.She is a lovely lady and I have known her for over 40 years.from when my DD and her son started courting (now there is an old fashioned word ) We have had many laughs together over the years and unlike a lot of 'out-laws' we have always got on very well.

When she was diagnosed 18 months before me with breast cancer in 2005 I was her person who kept her spirits up, as she was when I had my diagnosis in 2007.

We both had the same op. for a mastectomy and bonded even more Even though our mutual grandchildren were very upset we both said 'Don't worry we will be OK'
    Our grandson Danny was devastated at the time .he thought it so unfair that both his Grandma's had been struck by the same thing.

But we survived and recovered thank goodness.When I sadly lost my OH in 2003 she was there for me and was so kind. Now sadly I will be returning the favour. A very special lady is 'our Margaret' I too hope he passes in peace.

But thank you all for your thoughts and prayers

love and stuff

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

183Posts Today

2,161Users online

Martin's Twitter