Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glitterjunkie
    • By glitterjunkie 11th Jan 18, 1:11 AM
    • 421Posts
    • 513Thanks
    glitterjunkie
    3 kids and 9k debt... working our way to 0 debt by 2020
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:11 AM
    3 kids and 9k debt... working our way to 0 debt by 2020 11th Jan 18 at 1:11 AM
    Hi, I'm Glitterjunkie, I am 31 and live with my husband and our 3 kids aged 5, 2 and a baby. I've used the MSE forums for years at all stages of my life, from being a student and earning extra cash through mystery shopping, to saving for our first house and being in the lucky position of being able to overpay the mortgage for a while. However this is the first time I've ended up on the Debt board! I've strted this diary mainly as a place for me to keep track of what we're doing to repay the debt and our progress.

We're around £9k in debt which has all been accrued in the past year, £5,500 of which is on credit cards and £3,700 is owed to my mum. This is a result of a few factors... £1,500 is from an awful month we had where everything broke in the space of a week (washing machine, TV, car), £1,200 is the remainder of a car loan off my mum and £1,600 of it is a very expensive bike my hubby bought on the credit card 🙈 The other £4,500 is just general spending due to being on maternity leave for the 3rd time in 5 years, which is a £700 drop in income each month, we're just spending more than we have coming in every month. I have just applied for a final balance transfer of our currrnt credit card, then we're going to get rid of it and go back to cash so as to stop further temptation, as all the whole we have CC's the debt is just going to keep on growing isn't it?

We don't have holidays, Sky TV or the internet, so we often feel a bit hard-done-by and complain that we don't spend anything... but having had a good look at our finances I have realised we are extravagant in other areas, mainly running 2 expensive cars and mobile phones, and buying stuff for the kids, expensive clothes, presents, trips to soft play centres can easily cost £20 a time etc.

We need 2 cars due to my husband being a shift worker doing 12 hour shifts that start and end at 7am/7pm and are also unpredictable often ending late so can't rely on public transport... so he needs the car to get to work, while I also need a car as I have the school run and nursery drop off in a morning. We do own both cars outright, although mines getting old and could do with replacing next year (going to start costing more in garage bills) so we're looking at possibly leasing a new one.

The mobile phone bills are ridiculous and I really want to cut these but we're both locked into contracts 😭 need to check the end dates of them and see when we can reduce.

I don't really know where else we can reduce... Were already on the cheapest gas and electricity using MSE Energy Club. Any other suggestions appreciated!

I am hoping that by throwing every spare penny at the debt it can be paid off by Summer 2020. We don't have much spare at the moment as I'm still on maternity but I'm good at selling on FB/eBay so make a bit from selling the kids outgrown clothes etc, the baby has a lot of designer stuff (I know, I know!) that I can make quite a bit back from selling once she's too big for it. I do have an account as a rep selling homeware products, and can make about £50-100 commission a month if I try (don't always try very hard so don't always earn each month). Then I go back to work in May and we should have around £350/month extra to start repaying the debt properly.

That turned into an essay! I've put our SOA below and looking forward to keeping track on here xx

etStatement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 2

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 640
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 1600
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 2432

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 752
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 153
    Electricity............................. 139
    Gas..................................... 0
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 47
    Telephone (land line)................... 0
    Mobile phone............................ 104
    TV Licence.............................. 12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 450
    Clothing................................ 100
    Petrol/diesel........................... 100
    Road tax................................ 22
    Car Insurance........................... 54
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 50
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 0
    Childcare/nursery....................... 0
    Other child related expenses............ 150
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 0
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 21
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 39
    Other insurance......................... 22
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 80
    Haircuts................................ 15
    Entertainment........................... 50
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2360

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 230000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 22000
    Other assets............................ 3000
    Total Assets............................ 255000

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 177000...(752)......1.75
    Total secured & HP debts...... 177000....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Virgin CC......................1000......20........0
    MBNA...........................1700......45....... .0
    Barclaycard....................2500......59....... .0
    Halifax CC.....................1280......25........0
    Total unsecured debts..........6480......149.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 2,432
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,360
    Available for debt repayments........... 72
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 149
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -77

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 255,000
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -177,000
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -6,480
    Net Assets.............................. 71,520

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Attempting to pay off our debts! Balances Jan 2018 -
    Family member £3,700 - Virgin CC £1,000 - MBNA £1,700 - Barclaycard £2,500 (was £2,700) - Halifax CC £1,280
Page 1
    • Storm89
    • By Storm89 11th Jan 18, 7:54 AM
    • 140 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    Storm89
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:54 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:54 AM
    Hi I have a similar goal and want to be debt free by 2020 - aiming for December 2019 so can start the decade debt free. We have around £16k though. we also spend only £52 on gas and electricity don't know if you've looked at switching ? we're with a company called Flow. I've budgeted £40 a month for clothes and also spend between £60-£65 a week on the food shop (which includes nappies and cleaning stuff etc). Good luck on your journey xx
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 11th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 255 Posts
    • 871 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    Hi, Just looking at your SOA, I think you can probably cut your groceries slightly. I have six kids and am on my own, but even so have a larger family than you and I have a budget of £433 for food each month. My two youngest are still in nappies as well.

That budget includes all cleaning stuff and toiletries as well as packed lunches for four kids. I tend to do an online shop on a Monday for about £60 to £70 and then top up with bread, milk, fruit and veg during the week. I meal plan each week and only get food which is on my list. I also look for yellow sticker meat when I do my top up shops which helps keep down the cost of meat.

I think your clothing budget is quite high as well. I budget £150 per month but that has to include school uniform and shoes for four kids who seem to be growing continually! Saying that, their out of school clothes I tend to buy from primark as they grow out of them before they wear them out. The kids tend to get clothes for birthdays and Christmas as well as they really don't need anymore toys!

Also what are your other Child Related expenses for?

But saying all that you have a date when your income will go up and you can look forward to that. Also good luck with your debt free journey!
    Total debt Dec 2017 £22940.83/£23090.83
    Debt no 1 £493.29/£593.29 ~ Emergency fund £0/£600
    PAYDOBX2018 #97 £0/£12,000 ~ Make £10 a day #16 £28.90/£62
    20p savers 2018 #95
    NSD Jan 2018 2/12
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,532Posts Today

9,025Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bigmickwelsh63: @MartinSLewis Already done it.... donated my kidney to my brother almost 30yrs ago. Not sure if I would have done it fo?

• Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• Follow Martin