Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • girlchops
    • By girlchops 11th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    • 147Posts
    • 1,645Thanks
    girlchops
    Is there a list of abusive/bad/ scamming buyers?
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:00 AM
    Is there a list of abusive/bad/ scamming buyers? 11th Jan 18 at 12:00 AM
    Is there a thread, record or some list where MSE ebaying forumites can compile and add names of nasty, abusive and scamming eBayers?
    I've had a good look and can't find one on here. I just want to warn others and help you protect yourselves against "2" users I suspect is actually the same person.
    I'm new to selling and late on Sunday and into Monday I received messages about an item i'm selling asking if i'd accept an offer. I replied stating my terms and from then on the messages became more and more abusive. I thought i'd blocked the first user using the help pages on eBay but then on Monday the messages started again for the same item almost verbatim but not quite and were along a similar vein and then I was being messaged by both telling me I'm a scammer and rip off merchant because i won't agree to their offers!! .The last message from one was the best, threatening that if i didn't agree they would inform the Police of my ripoff practices. Quite clearly they are bonkers and I don't sell what they need, i.e. Psychiatric help!!
    Anyway on Sunday I couldn't read the feedback of the first user messaging, as it just wouldn't load and I also couldn't see how many people were viewing my items so assumed a problem with eBay. Once I could see their feedback i saw it was about 90-95% negative to the sellers they'd bought from and they've both only been live for 2-3 years. Nearly all the sellers had left them negative feedback, as best they could by writing SCAMMER and NEGATIVE, DON'T TRUST and BLOCK THIS USER in CAPS.
    I am so glad and grateful they didn't buy from and just wondered if there was a way to warn others. I have informed eBay who tell me they can see a link between the accounts and they also explained how to block them completely and stop their messages too. They've also marked their accounts whatever that means! because they could see the abuse to me and others!!
    I haven't mentioned the names here in case it is contravening something or other but that is why i'm asking because I'm quite new to eBay selling and need guidance.
    Any way thank you lovely people for reading/listening and if there is somewhere to collate the names can somebody please direct me there as I have 2 superduper horrors to add.
Page 1
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 11th Jan 18, 7:00 AM
    • 11,722 Posts
    • 7,915 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:00 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:00 AM
    Is there a thread, record or some list where MSE ebaying forumites can compile and add names of nasty, abusive and scamming eBayers?
    Originally posted by girlchops
    No there isn't and quite rightly so. One persons experience may not echo another. Would you like to be on a list because one person took exception to you?

Nearly all the sellers had left them negative feedback, as best they could by writing SCAMMER and NEGATIVE, DON'T TRUST and BLOCK THIS USER in CAPS.
    Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for buyers.

I'm quite new to eBay selling and need guidance.
    If you need help, as you suggest, then use the stickies in this forum for help on postage, selling and general eBay tips.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 11th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 26,441 Posts
    • 10,580 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:15 PM
    Leaving negative comments under a positive for a buyer could get you a slap on the wrist and as a new seller you may get worse than that.

Add them to your blocked buyer lists and move on. There will be plenty more.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 11th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 3,831 Posts
    • 6,700 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:19 PM
    I don't think there was one specific thread as such but I do recall seeing threads on here detailing scammers, as a heads-up to other EBayers. I added a couple of scammers to my 'blocked' list on EBay thanks to feedback on here, which I was grateful for!

for example:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=63340517&highlight=get+blocking+p eople#post63340517
    • girlchops
    • By girlchops 11th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    girlchops
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    Thank you for your help and comments theonlywayisup and forgotmyname but I think you have both misunderstood me at different points.
    In answer to forgotmyname - Just to clarify I haven't left either user any feedback because fortunately they didn't buy from me just messed me around, were very rude, abusive and threatening which is why I spoke to eBay because I couldn't understand why I was still getting messages from both of them when I'd blocked them after the first rude message from each one. What i didn't realise at the time was that I'd only blocked them from buying from me and that there are separate settings elsewhere to block them from having any further contact with me at all.
    As I said originally i was unable to see their feedback at the start of the communications which I always check if people are messaging me with offers or special requirements as I like to know who i'm dealing with. When I could see their feedback I was very grateful that they hadn't completed their transaction or chose not to buy in the first instance just tried to get items dirt cheap or whatever way you want to put it.
    • girlchops
    • By girlchops 11th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    girlchops
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    to the theonlywayisup - I haven't left them feedback just reported them. The false positive feedback has been left by the majority of sellers that have left them feedback. As in they have written negative remarks against the positive sign because sellers can't leave a 'real' negative feedback mark with the red minus, that's why i said the sellers had left the negative feedback as best they could.
    When I could read the detail I was astonished that each piece of commented feedback was so very bad in regard to their behaviour as a buyer. Also very strangely those 2 users seem to have had such 'Very Bad Luck' with their buying experience on eBay because all the feedback they have left for sellers is negative and all along the same vein on both accounts. I had never seen anything like that before and it's now plain as day what they were upto.
    In light of all that I was simply checking if there was a way to warn others because I thought that was a part of the function of this community. You can see I didn't write the names here just in case but I wouldn't want any of you to experience what I'd read in the feedback that they've done to others, that was all. I was looking out for the whole eBay community as these user(s) give other good ones a very bad name.
    Finally if I had been upto no good on eBay I would expect to find my name on a banned list otherwise what is the feedback and reporting facility for.
    Never mind now i know not to try to be so helpful!!
    • girlchops
    • By girlchops 11th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    girlchops
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:00 PM
    I don't think there was one specific thread as such but I do recall seeing threads on here detailing scammers, as a heads-up to other EBayers. I added a couple of scammers to my 'blocked' list on EBay thanks to feedback on here, which I was grateful for!

for example:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=63340517&highlight=get+blocking+p eople#post63340517
    Originally posted by avogadro
    Thank you I thought I'd seen something in the past too which is why i asked because as I said I was so shocked by their awful feedback and I don't know why eBay hasn't stopped their buying privileges or removed them completely but there you go! The lady on the phone from eBay did say they were connected too when i pointed out the almost identical messages and unique spelling in all the messages!! So clearly they're upto no good whoever they are.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 12th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    Well a number of otherwise competing sellers will contribute to lists - there are lists, but they are not publicly available for obvious reasons.

It's no different to local shopkeepers tipping others off when known shoplifters are in town - anyone who thinks these lists and informal contacts don't exist is naive.
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 12th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 4,491 Posts
    • 3,866 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 9:07 AM
    The problem with these lists is that it is all subjective. Some sellers would block a buyer for asking for the measurement of something, when the measurement is clearly in the listing. Does this buyer really deserve being added to a list of problem buyers and being blocked from buying from sellers who use these block lists? I don't think so but I am sure other sellers would disagree.

As others have said, what is to stop people adding sellers adding buyers they don't like or have unfairly wronged to the list?

Unfortunately when people start trying to police things without the experience, knowledge or expertise to do it, things never end well.

If a list of problem buyers exist then few sellers would take any notice of it. So it would just be a small number of bitter sellers who would use it and then moan about how no-one is buying from them.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Jan 18, 9:58 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Yes, I agree, and furthermore, eBay has systems of picking up people who are reported using the "report buyer" button and no-doubt can see the one's leaving all negs and also the one's most blocked. If these were littered with people added because they are on hate lists, then it makes the job harder not easier.
    The bottom line is, we can all get irate when things go down hill but this is nothing compared to when you find evidence of criminal activity of people repeatedly trying to gain financially by deception.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 12th Jan 18, 10:27 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    bxboards

As others have said, what is to stop people adding sellers adding buyers they don't like or have unfairly wronged to the list?
    Originally posted by mrcol1000
    Actually one of my buyers who was on a list which got added to my blocked bidder list, I removed after speaking to them personally.

I said to the person if you are the the list you can usually think of the reasons why you might be on one. He told me the reasons, and I decided to remove him. It turned out he had given an incorrect delivery address, and raised a not received dispute against one of my competitors. He should not have raised the dispute as it was his error, but I was happy to accept him due to his honesty with me.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 12th Jan 18, 10:50 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    Kats1983
    carrycarry-2
    maggiezhu1980

By the way, I don't care if anyone objects to me publically naming these lowlifes. Neither do I care if I get a warning or suspension from the forum, my conscience is clear.

You can say it's "subjective", or I'm "bitter", or whatever you like - but I promise anyone reading this thread that looks at those names and checks their feedback left for others - you will be utterly appalled.

Get them on your blocked bidder lists as quick as you can, in case I get grassed up for naming and shaming, and the names disappear.

Don't all rush to thank me at once
    Last edited by ontheup1972; 12-01-2018 at 10:53 AM.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 12th Jan 18, 10:56 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    bxboards
    Kats1983
    carrycarry-2
    maggiezhu1980

By the way, I don't care if anyone objects to me publically naming these lowlifes. Neither do I care if I get a warning or suspension from the forum, my conscience is clear.
    Originally posted by ontheup1972
    Can't argue with those - the feedback left by Kats1983 is shocking, around 50% negs.
    • ontheup1972
    • By ontheup1972 12th Jan 18, 10:57 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ontheup1972
    Yes, I agree, and furthermore, eBay has systems of picking up people who are reported using the "report buyer" button and no-doubt can see the one's leaving all negs and also the one's most blocked. If these were littered with people added because they are on hate lists, then it makes the job harder not easier.
    The bottom line is, we can all get irate when things go down hill but this is nothing compared to when you find evidence of criminal activity of people repeatedly trying to gain financially by deception.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    Ebay does nothing about serial scammers - the reports made by sellers are never acted upon.

I have named 3 terrible buyers on this thread who I know for a fact have been reported multiple times by multiple sellers yet ebay allows them to continue to steal with impunity.

As far as I'm concerned, people need to know about these clowns so they can protect themselves and avoid being the next victim.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 12th Jan 18, 11:02 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    bxboards
    Ebay does nothing about serial scammers - the reports made by sellers are never acted upon.
    Originally posted by ontheup1972
    Ebay has no incentive to act on reports, as the sellers pay the price, not Ebay. If you contest a dispute, you will always lose, and Ebay will pocket the fees too from a lost escalation.

I agree all those buyers are shocking and need to be on everyone's block list.
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Yes, I'm not saying I'm on eBays side. Just saying you've got to see a bigger picture. We had a message board thread like this before and the poster called eBay and said "look this is serious fraud, you need to act - it's affecting eBay's reputation, it's on the forums". And eBay's response; they deleted the buyers "feedback left for others" allowing them to continue with impunity (actually helped them).

Also a lot of these sellers don't bother hitting report buyer. It's such a simple thing to do at least on the co.uk site. I did once contact a Chinese seller asking them to do it and they had to call their eBay support to do it for them.
    Last edited by ballisticbrian; 12-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 12th Jan 18, 11:32 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    bxboards
    I wonder how many of those posting that block lists are bad, have gone on and added these 3 to their block lists
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 12th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Hold on, just working on it.

The one I found on facebook https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/ambo-fr2014
    Last edited by ballisticbrian; 12-01-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    • girlchops
    • By girlchops 12th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    girlchops
    elliedavisxoxo
    danis_frank
    Take a look at these 2 and make your own minds up. I'm not telling anyone to do anything but take a look at their 'delightful' feedback left for others and perhaps you will get a flavour of what they said privately in their messages!!

There are others but these are by far the worst with their very unlucky shopping experiences on eBay. As i said before i'm not bitter just grateful that i swerved them and invite others to make up their own minds too.
    HTH
    • girlchops
    • By girlchops 12th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 1,645 Thanks
    girlchops
    Yes, I'm not saying I'm on eBays side. Just saying you've got to see a bigger picture. We had a message board thread like this before and the poster called eBay and said "look this is serious fraud, you need to act - it's affecting eBay's reputation, it's on the forums". And eBay's response; they deleted the buyers "feedback left for others" allowing them to continue with impunity (actually helped them).

Also a lot of these sellers don't bother hitting report buyer. It's such a simple thing to do at least on the co.uk site. I did once contact a Chinese seller asking them to do it and they had to call their eBay support to do it for them.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian

That's really interesting because a lot of the negative or false positive feedback from the sellers has been removed from one of the users I reported and brought to eBay's attention, but their feedback for others is still present in all its glory!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

261Posts Today

2,330Users online

Martin's Twitter