Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dglover
    • By Dglover 10th Jan 18, 10:34 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Dglover
    Broken washing machine tenant. Am I entitled for temporary rent reduction?
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:34 PM
    Broken washing machine tenant. Am I entitled for temporary rent reduction? 10th Jan 18 at 10:34 PM
    Me and my partner are living in a rented apartment. The washing machine came with the property so is the landlords responsibility to fix/replace it. He has put an order in for a brand new unit, but for 2 weeks and counting we've had to go elsewhere to get our washing done which is a huge inconvenience. Are we entitled to ask the landlord for a reduction in rent for 1 month? Are there any legal grounds in regards to this?
Page 1
    • Scad
    • By Scad 10th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Scad
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:37 PM
    No chance pal
    • CommitedToChange
    • By CommitedToChange 10th Jan 18, 10:41 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 3,849 Thanks
    CommitedToChange
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:41 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:41 PM
    No. Good lord, a whole two weeks how you have suffered.
    Attempting to buy a house
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 42,811 Posts
    • 50,048 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:18 PM
    Me and my partner are living in a rented apartment. The washing machine came with the property so is the landlords responsibility to fix/replace it.
    What makes you so sure?
    What does it say in the tenancy agreement?
    See below.

He has put an order in for a brand new unit,
    You're lucky. Great landlord. Be happy!

but for 2 weeks and counting we've had to go elsewhere to get our washing done which is a huge inconvenience.
    No. It's a minor inconvenience for a short time.

Are we entitled to ask the landlord for a reduction in rent for 1 month?
    Yes. Of course you are entitled to ask. You are also entitled to ask for a tumble drier, double-oven Aga, and a cream cake on your birthday.
    Whether the landlord chooses to provide any or all of these is entirely up to him.

Are there any legal grounds in regards to this?
    Originally posted by Dglover
    As above: read the tenancy agreement. It may grant you a contractual right.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1985/70
    11 Repairing obligations in short leases.

(1)In a lease to which this section applies (as to which, see sections 13 and 14) there is implied a covenant by the lessor—

(a)to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the dwelling-house (including drains, gutters and external pipes),

(b)to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for the supply of water, gas and electricity and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences, but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for making use of the supply of water, gas or electricity), and

(c)to keep in repair and proper working order the installations in the dwelling-house for space heating and heating water.
    Last edited by G_M; 10-01-2018 at 11:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

256Posts Today

2,196Users online

Martin's Twitter