Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bristolmike
    • By bristolmike 10th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    • 19Posts
    • 2Thanks
    bristolmike
    Would you be worried about this patch?
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:22 PM
    Would you be worried about this patch? 10th Jan 18 at 8:22 PM
    So about 18 months ago I noticed a dark patch (well two really) on the back wall of my fitted wardrobe in a room that never gets used. It's on the third storey, gable end of my 2002 end terrace townhouse. Kind of like a loft room but it was built like that. The mark could have been there long before and I would never of known, bought the house in 2013 but life was hectic for a few years after that so I never paid much attention to the house. I just drew a line around it and monitored for a while. It never changed shape, size or colour, never felt damp, and since my walls are cavity with no cavity wall insulation, I wasn't really too worried about penetrating damp. No bathroom on that floor either and no radiators on that wall. Wife used to dry the washing up there so assumed probably condensation (though never had a problem around the windows) and got a tumble drier. If it was even damp at all and not some other stain from us or the previous owners. Soon forgot about it. Never been any smell of damp in the cupboard or anywhere in the house.

I just moved a box from that cupboard and was reminded of the mark, which is still exactly as it was probably a year ago which I know from the pencil lines. I have less on my plate now. Do I go to the time and expense (bearing in mind scaffolding would probably be needed due to the height) of looking into this further or just leave it and keep monitoring given the time that's elapsed and lack of change? Would you be worried?

Mike
    Last edited by bristolmike; 10-01-2018 at 8:32 PM.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 24,220 Posts
    • 67,022 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    It’s not changing so no, I wouldn’t be particularly worried right now. Good call on drawing round it!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 10th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 1,648 Posts
    • 3,878 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    Something wet been put in there? Or a spill of some sort at some time?
    • bristolmike
    • By bristolmike 10th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    bristolmike
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    Thanks for the replies both. I'm sure we've never put anything wet or spilled anything in there, but not sure about the previous occupants. It might have been there before we moved in, wish I'd looked round everything more thoroughly at the time but oh well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

7,797Users online

Martin's Twitter