Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 10th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    • 3,011Posts
    • 1,193Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    Using old fence slats to board loft
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:01 PM
    Using old fence slats to board loft 10th Jan 18 at 8:01 PM
    Hi everyone

My fence kept blowing down every time I bodged it up so I think its time to get hit&miss panels and concrete in more posts

So I took apart the old panels, if only so they'd fit in my car and I could have the nails, but my loft needs boarding, so I thought i could use these slasts for that, I realise it wouldn't be great for bearing weight so I'd only use these around the periphery where nobody could stand up or put much, also I'd put them horizontally so any weight on an area is spread over more slats

Sound like a plan or too risky?
    I thought proper boarding looked a but pricy
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 10th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 67,011 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    Sounds ridiculous.

Nowhere near strong enough and you’ll be full of splinters if you don’t end up with a foot through the ceiling!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • boingsaidzebedee
    • By boingsaidzebedee 10th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 596 Thanks
    boingsaidzebedee
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:37 PM
    I was going to board my loft and went off to B&Q for some chipboard.
    Seeing the price I decided to give that a miss and thought laterally.
    I ripped up the floorboards in the spare bedroom and laid them in the loft securing with a roll of sellotape.
    Very pleased with the result.
    It also allowed me to tell the wife that I was very sorry but we could no longer invite the mother-in-law for Christmas because we did'nt have a spare bedroom.
    Wish I'd thought of this last Christmas.
    Hope this helps.
    • Rolandtheroadie
    • By Rolandtheroadie 10th Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 4,811 Posts
    • 4,225 Thanks
    Rolandtheroadie
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    Why not upcycle them and use the money for investments?
    You'll get a much better return than leaving them lying in the loft.
    Pintrest should give you some ideas.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 10th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:02 PM
    Good idea Roland, could do, after a boot sale experience I've always doubted the value of the material things I have and concluded it's easier to do overtime than spend time and effort trying to sell (give stuff to charity shop in the unlikely event it can be used again), and it is getting a pain in the butt trying to navigate the loft with only loose boards, I'm hoping to fix the good ones down, use the fence to liberate good boards around the edges to be used more for the middle

But I could muddle by and buy proper boards at some point in future

I was considering hanging around the tip intercepting boards people might be throwing out, maybe giving them £1 per board
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 10th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:25 PM
    It's been pointed out to me that the fence would bring mould into the loft which could spread, that's a big put off of that idea
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 10th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 291 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    Maybe you could cultivate the mold then sell it?
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 4,822 Posts
    • 21,334 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:15 AM
    Can you imagine what a surveyor would make of it if you try to sell your home? What other horrors would the purchasers start to worry about?
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 11th Jan 18, 8:27 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    pmartin86
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:27 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:27 AM
    Can you imagine what a surveyor would make of it if you try to sell your home? What other horrors would the purchasers start to worry about?
    Originally posted by Slinky
    This - If I was buying a house that had done this I'd run a mile based on what else mgiht have been done that I couldn't see.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 11th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 6,509 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    So I took apart the old panels, if only so they'd fit in my car and I could have the nails,
    Originally posted by MatthewAinsworth
    Would they fit in the car if you made them smaller? Do you really need to reuse nails?
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 11th Jan 18, 9:25 AM
    • 13,439 Posts
    • 17,670 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    This - If I was buying a house that had done this I'd run a mile based on what else mgiht have been done that I couldn't see.
    Originally posted by pmartin86
    Probably good advice. When I moved into my house I found manky old plasterboard sheets being used as loft boarding.

Nearly 20 years later I'm still finding WTFs.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 11th Jan 18, 9:54 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    What purpose would the fence slats provide? They're too weak to support anything useful, so you couldn't put anything on top, let alone stand on them.
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 11th Jan 18, 10:03 AM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    A friend of mine fixed a chimney leak with expanding foam...
    • martinsurrey
    • By martinsurrey 11th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 3,267 Posts
    • 3,976 Thanks
    martinsurrey
    What purpose would the fence slats provide? They're too weak to support anything useful, so you couldn't put anything on top, let alone stand on them.
    Originally posted by d0nkeyk0ng
    They add an air of mystery, and a sense of danger!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Jan 18, 10:47 AM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 67,011 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Originally posted by pmartin86
    But what fun it would be finding out!

Porridge used as filler?

A shower tray made with milk cartons?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jan 18, 11:08 AM
    • 23,945 Posts
    • 90,121 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I'm worried that if you can just lay fence slats across joists as a standing area for items in your loft, there's not enough insulation in there. If there were enough, you'd simply compress it. Not good.

I used to lay all sorts like that 20 years ago, but since then, energy costs have literally gone through the roof and junk isn't worth hoarding up there. You don't want to see any joists at all....
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • pmartin86
    • By pmartin86 11th Jan 18, 11:50 AM
    • 472 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    pmartin86
    But what fun it would be finding out!

Porridge used as filler?

A shower tray made with milk cartons?
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    I've spent the last few years finding dodgy bodge jobs on my house as it is, and I come into this one with the "take it back to brick" mentality so it's not been an issue...but still..some of the things I've found defy belief - My favorite so far was a single chimney used for 2 back to back fireplaces in 2 rooms, one fireplace was taken out and the other remained, the "fix" was a wooden frame batton with a pieice fo chipboard screwed to it, then poorly plastered over...How the house didnt burn down I'll never know.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 67,011 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    I'm worried that if you can just lay fence slats across joists as a standing area for items in your loft, there's not enough insulation in there. If there were enough, you'd simply compress it. Not good.

I used to lay all sorts like that 20 years ago, but since then, energy costs have literally gone through the roof and junk isn't worth hoarding up there. You don't want to see any joists at all....
    Originally posted by Davesnave
    Ah, reminds me of a ‘wall’ we removed next to a chimney breat that was in fact wallpapered hardboard hiding a mountain of what I call “polystyrene pasta” behind it. (you know the packing material where you have to hunt for what you ordered inside the box like a lucky dip)

It came out like an avalanche. It was being used as internal insulation on about 1.2 metres of one wall of a detached house. No insulation anywhere else.

Could put those under the fence slats. Would break the fall through the ceiling, perhaps!
    • MatthewAinsworth
    • By MatthewAinsworth 11th Jan 18, 1:20 PM
    • 3,011 Posts
    • 1,193 Thanks
    MatthewAinsworth
    More insulation a worthy idea, although I do need the storage for the wife's "homeware", I read you can get supports that fit onto the joists to allow you to board higher up

Polyethylene pasta is flame risk maybe!
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 11th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 24,209 Posts
    • 67,011 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    Yeah. I wasn’t being serious.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,110Posts Today

9,168Users online

Martin's Twitter