Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kokolot
    • By Kokolot 10th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Kokolot
    Car battery temporarily died on the motorway. Restarted after a while. Next action?
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:58 PM
    Car battery temporarily died on the motorway. Restarted after a while. Next action? 10th Jan 18 at 7:58 PM
    Hello all,

My car battery temporarily died so my car stalled on the road.

After turning off all lights (except headlights), radio etc for a while it restarted and I was able to drive home for 20 miles.

I think this happened because I left the indoor car lamp on accidentally and also had my TomTom, and radio on so it drained the batter?

The car was driving fine after this for the 20 miles after and I got home.

What should I do next as a safety precaution?

The car is at home now.

Shall I leave it on for another hour while parked?

This never happened to me before so any advice welcome please.
    Last edited by Kokolot; 10-01-2018 at 8:10 PM.
Page 1
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 10th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 13,286 Posts
    • 8,417 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:26 PM
    Your alternator runs the electrics when the engines running. Having lights and radio etc won't cause it to cut out.

If it cut out you should have it looked at to investigate the fault.
    • Kokolot
    • By Kokolot 10th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kokolot
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:31 PM
    Hi there,

So what happened was I was driving as normal, and then during a traffic jam I breaked as usual, but then when I hit the accelerator to move ahead again it wouldn't go forward.

The engine was revving but no forward motion.

Then I turned off all the non-essential lights like above and shut the car down and after a 5 minutes it was OK and drove once I switched from Neutral to gear.

What does that suggest?

I will get it checked.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 10th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 6,512 Posts
    • 5,300 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:43 PM

Originally posted by Kokolot
    Sounds like a transmission fault. Quite common among recent newbies.
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.
    • Kokolot
    • By Kokolot 10th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kokolot
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:51 PM
    How much does this type of thing cost?

I have a Nissan.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 11th Jan 18, 6:28 AM
    • 13,286 Posts
    • 8,417 Thanks
    arcon5
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:28 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:28 AM
    Is it an automatic or manual?
    What model nissan is it?
    • facade
    • By facade 11th Jan 18, 6:48 AM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    facade
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:48 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:48 AM
    It will be the woeful CVT. The torque converter auto is very reliable.
    CVT repairs run into 4 figures I'm afraid.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:26 AM
    If the battery was genuinely flat then all bets are off with computer controlled elements of the car. Components may refuse to work as start-up diagnostics fail or the computers and sensors simply don't work properly. With battery in poor condition I've had a car that drives but randomly the dashboard has died, cruise control has failed, doors have automatically unlocked and stop-start has refused to enable.

Restarting the car when voltage has been restored will normally sort things out.
    • marlot
    • By marlot 11th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 3,204 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    marlot
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:37 AM
    Restarting the car when voltage has been restored will normally sort things out.
    Originally posted by IanMSpencer
    Except that the engine didn't actually cut out. The OP is completely mistaken when he states its the battery.

My money's on it being a failed CVT automatic - but he hasn't told us axactly what model car it is yet.

I wish people would give us all the facts instead of having it drawn out of them!
    • Kokolot
    • By Kokolot 11th Jan 18, 8:51 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kokolot
    Hi,

Sorry I don't know all the details to post.

My car is an automatic. And Nissan Micra 2008.

And I am not a car expert so my initial thought was it is the battery so I shouldn't have stated battery in my post maybe.
    Last edited by Kokolot; 11-01-2018 at 8:53 AM. Reason: Added car model
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Jan 18, 9:02 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    Except that the engine didn't actually cut out. The OP is completely mistaken when he states its the battery.

My money's on it being a failed CVT automatic - but he hasn't told us axactly what model car it is yet.

I wish people would give us all the facts instead of having it drawn out of them!
    Originally posted by marlot
    Regardless. OP identified that they had good reason to believe they had flattened the battery and after letting it recharge for 20 minutes it drove normally.

Based on that I would not be inclined to assume any other fault than low voltage inducing faults in electronics.

If faults re-emerge, given this incident, I would first get the battery checked, free, rather than assume there is a gearbox fault.

Put another way, if you know you have a flat battery, why would you not fix it before trying to diagnose more expensive faults? If the battery has flattened it might hint that the battery is also in poor condition.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 11th Jan 18, 10:53 AM
    • 17,680 Posts
    • 11,942 Thanks
    molerat
    Regardless. OP identified that they had good reason to believe they had flattened the battery and after letting it recharge for 20 minutes it drove normally.

Based on that I would not be inclined to assume any other fault than low voltage inducing faults in electronics.

If faults re-emerge, given this incident, I would first get the battery checked, free, rather than assume there is a gearbox fault.

Put another way, if you know you have a flat battery, why would you not fix it before trying to diagnose more expensive faults? If the battery has flattened it might hint that the battery is also in poor condition.
    So what happened was I was driving as normal, and then during a traffic jam I breaked as usual, but then when I hit the accelerator to move ahead again it wouldn't go forward.

Originally posted by Kokolot
    A dodgy battery is not going to cause that.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 11th Jan 18, 11:11 AM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    A dodgy battery is not going to cause that.
    Originally posted by molerat
    I'm being simple here. What made it fail and what made it clear?

All I am saying is that I would not dismiss voltage issues causing problems with car systems. If you are saying a 2008 Nissan has no electric component to the gearbox then fine, but if it has, then how it behaves with out of spec power supply is anyone's guess - either due to self-check failsafe or glitch due to insufficient voltage.

Old car, lights left on, gearbox glitched, now working ok, what is the most obvious cause here?

(I am not saying it isn't the gearbox, just that in winter, poor battery, stop start traffic, it is something to eliminate first).

Put it this way, I wouldn't be rushing down to the garage based on one incident.
    Last edited by IanMSpencer; 11-01-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 11th Jan 18, 12:05 PM
    • 3,007 Posts
    • 1,513 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/181823-car-battery-died-on-the-road-after-a-while-it-restarted-what-to-do-next/

How strange, someone has a similar problem with their 2008 Toyota Auris with a Multimode transmission (MMT).
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 11th Jan 18, 12:16 PM
    • 6,313 Posts
    • 5,686 Thanks
    Herzlos
    I'm being simple here. What made it fail and what made it clear?

All I am saying is that I would not dismiss voltage issues causing problems with car systems.
    If the engine was running, electrical power would be coming from the alternator. It can't have anything to do with the battery, unless the alternator has also had it. If it came back a while later it could somehow be overheating or some worn connections. Going by the original thread, it worked after turning the engine off and on, so could have been almost anything electrical.

By all means test and replace the battery, but I'd also get the gearbox looked at first.
    • The_Biff
    • By The_Biff 11th Jan 18, 4:07 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 88 Thanks
    The_Biff
    Stop n Go
    I had a Toyota Yaris (very reliable). One day I did an emergecy stop and the car stalled. Eventually started, but apparently the Stop & Go batteries give very little warning that they are on the way out. A week later it died completely. Battery was finished.
    Nice to save.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 12th Jan 18, 3:56 PM
    • 11,725 Posts
    • 8,910 Thanks
    unholyangel
    I'm not a mechanic or auto electrician so maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree but from everything I do know, a battery can't recharge when the car is turned off. The alternator recharges your battery, but only while you are driving - from what i recall its driven by a belt from the engine so idling won't recharge it as quickly as motorway driving. Ergo if the engine is off, its not turning at all so isn't generating any electricity in order to recharge the battery.
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • IanMSpencer
    • By IanMSpencer 12th Jan 18, 4:16 PM
    • 1,291 Posts
    • 974 Thanks
    IanMSpencer
    I'm not a mechanic or auto electrician so maybe i'm barking up the wrong tree but from everything I do know, a battery can't recharge when the car is turned off. The alternator recharges your battery, but only while you are driving - from what i recall its driven by a belt from the engine so idling won't recharge it as quickly as motorway driving. Ergo if the engine is off, its not turning at all so isn't generating any electricity in order to recharge the battery.
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    I assumed the OP meant sitting at the side of the road, running the engine.
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 12th Jan 18, 9:19 PM
    • 13,286 Posts
    • 8,417 Thanks
    arcon5
    Originally posted by unholyangel

That's pretty much how they work. They have voltage regulators though which ensure voltage output at lower and higher revs isn't at all that different.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 13th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 11,725 Posts
    • 8,910 Thanks
    unholyangel
    I assumed the OP meant sitting at the side of the road, running the engine.
    Ah okay that explains it perhaps. OP said the car stalled, that they shut the car down completely (except headlights) and that they restarted the car so I had assumed the engine would be off from when it stalled to when it was restarted.

That's pretty much how they work. They have voltage regulators though which ensure voltage output at lower and higher revs isn't at all that different.
    Originally posted by arcon5
    Thanks, good to know i'm not completely clueless about cars
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,954Posts Today

8,382Users online

Martin's Twitter