Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Johnmac72
    • By Johnmac72 10th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Johnmac72
    Wedfing dress - advice needed
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    Wedfing dress - advice needed 10th Jan 18 at 7:57 PM
    My Fiancee started looking for a wedding dress in July last year for our wedding this august. She fou d one quickly in a well known bridal shop. Im not sure of the procedure but her measurements were taken and the dress ordered from the usa (apparently). The dress was paid for in full by credit card. Approx 3 x months later she was contacted to say the dress was in. She went to the store and the dress was not well made. The advisor agreed and a replacement was ordered. Approx 3 x months later the dress arrived. Once again it was flawed. At this point my fiancee stated she wanted to mull things over as she had lost confidence and was leaning towards requesting a refund.she specifically stated to not order another dress. The shop called about a week later and said they had got another dress in. This was suspiciously quick as the last 2 x attempts had taken about 6 x months in total to arrive. She has asked for a refund, but the shop is refusing. What rights does she have?
Page 1
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    • 15,731 Posts
    • 11,572 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:59 PM
    What exactly is wrong with the dress.
    • Johnmac72
    • By Johnmac72 10th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnmac72
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:39 PM
    Im not entirely sure but it basically does not sit/fit the way it was meant to. The design is flawed
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 15,731 Posts
    • 11,572 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:52 PM
    Im not entirely sure but it basically does not sit/fit the way it was meant to. The design is flawed
    Originally posted by Johnmac72
    You can’t expect to get a question answered if you’re not sure of the facts.
    Please find out and come back.
    • Johnmac72
    • By Johnmac72 10th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnmac72
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    Im not allowed to see or know anything about the dress as its to be kept secret so i can only go on the issues i am aware of. My bad. I was looking for some general advice to try to reassure her. She saw a dress, ordered it. It arrived flawed. They ordered another. It arrived flawed. They ordered another without being prompted and won't consider a refund.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 10th Jan 18, 9:02 PM
    • 15,731 Posts
    • 11,572 Thanks
    hollydays
    You mean there is a flaw in the fabric?
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 10th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:53 PM
    She can surely tell you what's wrong with it though without giving anything away?

Does the trader accept that it is flawed? If they do, job almost done.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Jan 18, 9:59 PM
    • 11,685 Posts
    • 7,890 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:59 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:59 PM
    Im not allowed to see or know anything about the dress as its to be kept secret so i can only go on the issues i am aware of. My bad. I was looking for some general advice to try to reassure her. She saw a dress, ordered it. It arrived flawed. They ordered another. It arrived flawed. They ordered another without being prompted and won't consider a refund.
    Unless I'm mistaken, there is nothing to see. The dress isn't with your fiancee but with the shop.

You need to answer some of the questions before you can be given advice that is suitable to your situation.

You have no rights, you didn't buy the dress. The rights lie with the purchaser.
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 10th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 1,269 Thanks
    anmarj
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:30 PM
    Most dress may need adjustments to fit, has this been considered?
    mummy to one

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • Johnmac72
    • By Johnmac72 11th Jan 18, 7:00 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnmac72
    The dress, when it arrived did not sit correctly. Even the seamstress admitted it wasnt correct, hence a replacement was ordered. With regard to 'theonlywayisup', my fiancee purchased the dress but i funded the purchase. It was a 'special order' so payment had to be made in full. On the 2nd occasion the dress that arrived wss deemed to be incorrectly made.
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 11th Jan 18, 7:53 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    deemed to be incorrectly made.
    Yes but by who?
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 11th Jan 18, 8:03 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Diamandis
    Is there anything wrong with the dress they got her most recently? If they are able to offer her what she originally asked for why is that an issue?
    • Johnmac72
    • By Johnmac72 11th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnmac72
    By 2 x members of staff and the seamstress. Another dress would not have been ordered.

She has not been back to the store to view the most recent one. It hasnt arrived yet. My Fiancee never asked for a 3rd dress to be ordered. Tbey got it wrong twice. How many attempts do you give them? 4? 5? 6?
    • elsien
    • By elsien 11th Jan 18, 8:43 AM
    • 15,612 Posts
    • 39,392 Thanks
    elsien
    Your OP says the third dress is in the shop and arrived suspiciously quickly.

Now you're saying it hasn't arrived yet.

Which one is it?
    It might be a bit less Chinese whispers if you got your fianc!e to post for advice instead as she'll be able to describe the problems more accurately.
    Last edited by elsien; 11-01-2018 at 8:45 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jan 18, 9:08 AM
    • 18,630 Posts
    • 48,941 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Your OP says the third dress is in the shop and arrived suspiciously quickly.

Now you're saying it hasn't arrived yet.

Which one is it?
    It might be a bit less Chinese whispers if you got your fianc!e to post for advice instead as she'll be able to describe the problems more accurately.
    Originally posted by elsien
    This ^^^^
    Another 2 posters have made the same point.

My Fiancee started looking for a wedding dress in July last year for our wedding this august. She fou d one quickly in a well known bridal shop. Im not sure of the procedure but her measurements were taken and the dress ordered from the usa (apparently). The dress was paid for in full by credit card. Approx 3 x months later she was contacted to say the dress was in. She went to the store and the dress was not well made. The advisor agreed and a replacement was ordered. Approx 3 x months later the dress arrived. Once again it was flawed. At this point my fiancee stated she wanted to mull things over as she had lost confidence and was leaning towards requesting a refund.she specifically stated to not order another dress. The shop called about a week later and said they had got another dress in. This was suspiciously quick as the last 2 x attempts had taken about 6 x months in total to arrive. She has asked for a refund, but the shop is refusing. What rights does she have?
    You say the 'design is flawed'.
    What does this mean?
    • Johnmac72
    • By Johnmac72 11th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnmac72
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. The point has been missed completely. The shop had called to say a 3rd dress(which was never requested) would arrive within the week. If we want to cut it down to days and minutes i will work this out. I was hoping based on the info that someone could give some general advice. 6 x months after ordering a dress and paying in full, after 2 x failed attempts, my fiancee still does not have a dress. 2 x members of staff plus the seamstress agreed it was not made correctly on the first 2 x dresses. A 3rd dress has been ordered without request. It is going to suspiciously arrive from the usa in approx a week or so. The last 2 took around 3 x months. My fiancee has not been near tbe store recently because she is in dispute with them and has demanded a refund which the store are currently refusing.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jan 18, 9:43 AM
    • 18,630 Posts
    • 48,941 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. The point has been missed completely. The shop had called to say a 3rd dress(which was never requested) would arrive within the week. If we want to cut it down to days and minutes i will work this out. I was hoping based on the info that someone could give some general advice. 6 x months after ordering a dress and paying in full, after 2 x failed attempts, my fiancee still does not have a dress. 2 x members of staff plus the seamstress agreed it was not made correctly on the first 2 x dresses. A 3rd dress has been ordered without request. It is going to suspiciously arrive from the usa in approx a week or so. The last 2 took around 3 x months. My fiancee has not been near tbe store recently because she is in dispute with them and has demanded a refund which the store are currently refusing.
    Re the bit in bold:
    this is the first time you've posted that staff at the shop agreed that the 2nd dress wasn't satisfactory.
    You said that about the first dress but not about the 2nd.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-have-a-problem-with-my-wedding-dress-what-can-i-do
    • Johnmac72
    • By Johnmac72 11th Jan 18, 10:37 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Johnmac72
    Thanks.I think the only way a dress would be ordered is if the company deemed there to be an issue. I doubt they would order a replacement based solely on a customer not being happy. Its almost like they are admitting there is an issue without actuslly admitting it. If that makes sense?
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 11th Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    Not necessarily.

They might argue that once they were asked to order dress 3 (even if they weren't they might say they were) it would be reasonable for the consumer to allow them to fulfil that remedy and despite them moving heaven and earth to complete the order really quickly the consumer has now refused dress 3 even though there is nothing wrong with it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,680Posts Today

8,290Users online

Martin's Twitter