Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 71
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 4th Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 29,619 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    The M&S current account link on this site says "To get the £125 gift card you must open the account and fully switch your account using M&S Bank's switching service within three months..."

Is it possible to open this as a new current account whilst keeping your existing one without "fully switching"? Clearly you would have to set up Direct Debits and pay a certain amount in per month.
    Originally posted by nolly2009
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: MSE don't reproduce the T&Cs in full. Why would they when they're freely available on the M&S Bank website...which is where you should go to get the full details.
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 6th Dec 17, 8:52 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    First Direct - Nah!
    MSE keep banging on about FD bank, but my experience of "best service" and "won every poll" is nothing like they suggest. And why would they keep offering such large bribes if they are so great? I'm with a top mutual bank who work for their members not for their shareholders and has been around for much longer than FD. More than happy with their service, so a £125 bribe isn't going to entice me to change.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 6th Dec 17, 9:48 AM
    • 6,433 Posts
    • 2,682 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    MSE keep banging on about FD bank, but my experience of "best service" and "won every poll" is nothing like they suggest. And why would they keep offering such large bribes if they are so great? I'm with a top mutual bank who work for their members not for their shareholders and has been around for much longer than FD. More than happy with their service, so a £125 bribe isn't going to entice me to change.
    Originally posted by Dewpoint
    I take your point about First Direct, not everyone will be entirely satisfied with any one institution for all of the time.

However, I disagree with your comment referring to banks working for their members as opposed to their shareholders. In this country it seems that we are often critical when a company makes a profit. Profit almost seems like a dirty word. Shareholders are the owners of a company and it is right that they are rewarded for risking their money in the way that they do. If you owned a sweet shop you'd want to sell as many sweets as possible and make as much profit from those sales as was possible. You wouldn't be thinking to youself well I'll stand here for 12 hours a day selling sweets, but because I'm selling them in a poor area I'll price them so that I don't make any money out of the venture.
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 6th Dec 17, 10:51 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    I take your point about First Direct, not everyone will be entirely satisfied with any one institution for all of the time.

However, I disagree with your comment referring to banks working for their members as opposed to their shareholders. In this country it seems that we are often critical when a company makes a profit. Profit almost seems like a dirty word. Shareholders are the owners of a company and it is right that they are rewarded for risking their money in the way that they do. If you owned a sweet shop you'd want to sell as many sweets as possible and make as much profit from those sales as was possible. You wouldn't be thinking to youself well I'll stand here for 12 hours a day selling sweets, but because I'm selling them in a poor area I'll price them so that I don't make any money out of the venture.
    Originally posted by Steve_xx
    I'm entirely happy with my mutual bank, and the profits they make go back to their members and improving the product, not to speculators who may not have any other connection to the business. I suspect MSE pushes FD because they get a healthy kick-back from the links and advertising. That for me devalues MSE and often makes me suspicious of their advice.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 6th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 29,619 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I'm entirely happy with my mutual bank, and the profits they make go back to their members and improving the product, not to speculators who may not have any other connection to the business.
    Which "mutual bank" is it please?
    • jimmycam
    • By jimmycam 6th Dec 17, 11:36 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimmycam
    Barclays is best. Period.

Lloyds Halifax Santandair Nachinwide NaktWestt Ministerial Bank, RBS, and HSBC (Hong Kong shanghai Banking club) are all utter rubbish ran by old fogies.

Metro, Atom, Monese are just ran by a jumped up 17 year old in his motherís spare bedroom in Bolton.
    • camaj
    • By camaj 6th Dec 17, 12:03 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    camaj
    I'm going to switch an old account to Nationwide and I've just set up 2 DD's to qualify for the £100 incentive. They say it takes 10 working days but I can see them listed in the online banking section of my existing account. Is it safe to start the switch?

Also they ask you to open an account before starting the switch, does anyone know if there's a time limit between opening the nationwide account and starting the switch or do they not care as long as it's before the 90 day window expires? Doesn't say in the T&C's
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 6th Dec 17, 12:16 PM
    • 29,619 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    I'm going to switch an old account to Nationwide and I've just set up 2 DD's to qualify for the £100 incentive. They say it takes 10 working days but I can see them listed in the online banking section of my existing account. Is it safe to start the switch?
    Originally posted by camaj
    Wherever possible I'd let them pay out at least once before initiating the switch.
    Also they ask you to open an account before starting the switch, does anyone know if there's a time limit between opening the nationwide account and starting the switch or do they not care as long as it's before the 90 day window expires? Doesn't say in the T&C's
    Condition 7, step 2 is all you get. So from that, one can deduce that there isn't...only that it completes within the specified timescale.
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Dec 17, 1:06 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I suspect MSE pushes FD because they get a healthy kick-back from the links and advertising. That for me devalues MSE and often makes me suspicious of their advice.
    To be fair to MSE, they're quite open about their use of paid affiliate links (from many institutions), in the How this site is financed link at the foot of each page on here, where they (unsurprisingly!) deny that this affects editorial policy....

I'm not convinced it's accurate to say that "MSE keep banging on about FD bank" either - FD do keep topping the bi-annual customer service polls (with a disproportionate volume of contributions) but that's hardly MSE's (direct) doing, and 'very popular' definitely doesn't translate into 'quantifiably best', as the Daily Mail and Apple clearly demonstrate!
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 6th Dec 17, 1:13 PM
    • 5,906 Posts
    • 5,871 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Barclays is best. Period.
    Originally posted by jimmycam
    Beginning to smell a bit of a rat here when seeing very similar posting style to another poster with a tendency to launch meaningless polls and other posts that bear only passing resemblance to the real world....
    Barclaycard is best. Fact.
    Originally posted by gettinnerdy
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 6th Dec 17, 1:21 PM
    • 29,619 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Beginning to smell a bit of a rat here when seeing very similar posting style to another poster with a tendency to launch meaningless polls and other posts that bear only passing resemblance to the real world....
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    It's quicker to hit the spam button than to read (both/all) their posts...and a whole lot more satisfying.
    • camaj
    • By camaj 6th Dec 17, 8:14 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    camaj
    Wherever possible I'd let them pay out at least once before initiating the switch.
    Originally posted by YorkshireBoy
    Are you aware of that ever being an issue or just to be cautious?
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 6th Dec 17, 8:20 PM
    • 29,619 Posts
    • 17,481 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    Are you aware of that ever being an issue or just to be cautious?
    Originally posted by camaj
    It's been reported as a problem previously on here, although I can't remember which bank was involved.
    • Jima
    • By Jima 6th Dec 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jima
    Santander interest rate
    I have been with Santander for some time, when the interest rate was 3%. Now with the interest at 1.5% and the charge at £5 per month I am thinking of closing two accounts and putting the money into Birmingham & Midshires at 1.45%.
    Santander £20000 at 1.5% =£300 - 12 x £5 = £240. BM £20000 at 1.45% = £290.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 6th Dec 17, 10:01 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    Kim_13
    I have been with Santander for some time, when the interest rate was 3%. Now with the interest at 1.5% and the charge at £5 per month I am thinking of closing two accounts and putting the money into Birmingham & Midshires at 1.45%.
    Originally posted by Jima
    Increasing numbers of posters have been doing exactly this, especially as the 123 Lite/Natwest Reward mean that they can still earn cash back on their household bills.

Santander 123 Lite pays the same rates of cashback on bills as your existing version, but for a lower monthly fee of £1. If this is worth it to you, you could simply downgrade one of the accounts. This would allow you to keep a Regular Saver earning 5%, if you have one. Natwest Reward pays 2% Cashback on bills for £2 per month, if you prefer (though beware the higher minimum pay in of £1,500.)

You may be able to switch the second account for an incentive; have a look at this article and see if there are any you could qualify for: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • jimmycam
    • By jimmycam 6th Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jimmycam
    Iíd go with Barclays, youíll get their blue rewards, much better - and cashback also.

Santander is only for people who think they are in Spain or part of the cast on ITVís Benidorm sitcom.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 6th Dec 17, 10:13 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 1,755 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Iíd go with Barclays, youíll get their blue rewards, much better - and cashback also.

Santander is only for people who think they are in Spain or part of the cast on ITVís Benidorm sitcom.
    Originally posted by jimmycam
    They have double rewards this month, so that's something to be aware of: https://www.barclays.co.uk/current-accounts/blue-rewards/

A previous MSE article rated it worth it for Barclays customers but not really worth switching for, as I recall.

I've popped the link in so that the poster can decide if it's worth it for them.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • clivep
    • By clivep 7th Dec 17, 11:05 AM
    • 224 Posts
    • 97 Thanks
    clivep
    Originally posted by Jima
    Too late now for the BM 1.45% if you haven't already done it.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 7th Dec 17, 2:45 PM
    • 17,754 Posts
    • 9,097 Thanks
    schiff
    HSBC Advance account - June 2017 Switch offer
    I promise that I've searched but with no luck.

I did a switch to this account in late June. I made notes at the time but I would like access to the official line if anyone kept it.

There was a requirement to deposit £1750 every month, or £10,500 in the first six months. But my notes then carry on to read 'provided that £1750 has been deposited for at least nine of the first 12 months'. This apparently relates to the second bonus of £50 which I will get in November next year.

This appears to be illogical as the two bits don't match.

TYIA.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 7th Dec 17, 3:29 PM
    • 743 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    https://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_esf-ca-app-content/content/pws/content/personal/pdfs/HSBC_200_Switching_offer-06-06-2017-to-23-07-2017.pdf
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

980Posts Today

5,794Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin