Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 70
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 2nd Nov 17, 5:10 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    polymaff
    I have this as a second (well actually a bit further down the list) account, but wouldn't operate as my main account, whatever that is now.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Agreed, I have it because I need it - nothing else.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 2nd Nov 17, 8:29 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Agreed, I have it because I need it - nothing else.
    Originally posted by polymaff
    Not sure need is the correct term, many of my other accounts come higher up the list.
    • zzzt
    • By zzzt 3rd Nov 17, 11:08 AM
    • 229 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    zzzt
    If I am to use the switching service then I'll have to close my main account and have all direct debits etc. transferred over.

Not sure what you mean about slow to respond. I don't think I have ever contacted my bank in over a decade. But if the internet banking is !!!! then that is indeed a problem. Mind you, I hate the internet banking with my current bank. They recently upgraded it and I absolutely hate it.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 3rd Nov 17, 2:31 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    If I am to use the switching service then I'll have to close my main account and have all direct debits etc. transferred over.

Not sure what you mean about slow to respond. I don't think I have ever contacted my bank in over a decade. But if the internet banking is !!!! then that is indeed a problem. Mind you, I hate the internet banking with my current bank. They recently upgraded it and I absolutely hate it.
    Originally posted by zzzt

Better to quote responses for reference.

Slow to respond means that it took me about six weeks to open the account, it wasn't clear when it was opened and I then only just got in time to get the switching bonus, you can't switch online, has to be branch or phone.

Internet banking is very clunky for me, who do you currently bank with?

I wouldn't have it as a main account but I'm sure some people like it.

Edit - You can, of course, set up a sacrificial account to switch if you want the bonus, and retain for the regular saver and £50 after a year.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 3rd Nov 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    polymaff
    Not sure need is the correct term, many of my other accounts come higher up the list.
    Ah, "need" here as in required destination for certain internal transfers.
    • zzzt
    • By zzzt 3rd Nov 17, 4:52 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    zzzt
    Internet banking is very clunky for me, who do you currently bank with?
    Co-op is my main account. They offer me precisely nothing. No interest, no cashback, no rewards, no features at all other than being a bank account and having an app. They recently changed the internet banking to actively violate basic UX guidelines.

They also stole money from me once, which I wasn't too pleased about.

The only other accounts I have are TSB (which I love) and Tesco (which is giving me interest). Neither is my main current account, but I don't want to get rid of either of them because they're both making money for me right now.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 3rd Nov 17, 6:39 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Co-op is my main account. They offer me precisely nothing. No interest, no cashback, no rewards, no features at all other than being a bank account and having an app. They recently changed the internet banking to actively violate basic UX guidelines.

They also stole money from me once, which I wasn't too pleased about.

The only other accounts I have are TSB (which I love) and Tesco (which is giving me interest). Neither is my main current account, but I don't want to get rid of either of them because they're both making money for me right now.
    Co op offer rewards which would give a few quid a month.

I quite like their internet banking but obviously don't use it too much.

TSB and tesco are both fine in my opinion. The whole HSBC stable has a poor internet interface in my opinion, never could get on with first direct, m&s is even worse than HSBC.

All opinion of course.
    • better21
    • By better21 4th Nov 17, 1:19 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    better21
    Minimum terms
    In the review of best Bank Accounts in MSE, there are notes about criteria which are needed. For example you may have to pay in a certain amount per moth (e.g. Tesco £750 per month, Nationwide £1000 per month).

But this doesn't always link to maintaining a certain balance per month. So what's to stop you paying in say the £750 then taking it out the next day ? Just to satisfy a condition of their higher interest.

Thanks.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 4th Nov 17, 1:48 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 6,028 Thanks
    EachPenny
    So what's to stop you paying in say the £750 then taking it out the next day ? Just to satisfy a condition of their higher interest.
    Originally posted by better21
    Nothing.

But why wait until next day? A few nanoseconds is more than enough. Or if you have sufficient balance (which most would if really taking advantage of the higher interest) there is nothing stopping you taking the money out before you put it back in.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 5th Nov 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,802 Posts
    • 776 Thanks
    polymaff
    Nothing.

But why wait until next day? A few nanoseconds is more than enough. Or if you have sufficient balance (which most would if really taking advantage of the higher interest) there is nothing stopping you taking the money out before you put it back in.
    Originally posted by EachPenny
    Except when FPS stutters - which it is allowed to do.

I get my 40 or so transactions completed in about 90m - and do sequence them in-then-out to keep down the potential stress.
    • zzzt
    • By zzzt 6th Nov 17, 12:05 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 231 Thanks
    zzzt
    never could get on with first direct
    First Direct is one of the most consistently highest rated by customers.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 6th Nov 17, 1:03 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    First Direct is one of the most consistently highest rated by customers.

Not on these boards.
    • phemark
    • By phemark 6th Nov 17, 4:07 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    phemark
    Hello,
    Quick question - if I have 2xCurrent account and a credit card with Lloyds for instance, and want to switch/cancel one of current accounts - would the automatic switching cancel just that one account, or all current accounts and credit cards with the old bank?
    Thanks
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Nov 17, 4:12 PM
    • 5,575 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    badger09
    Hello,
    Quick question - if I have 2xCurrent account and a credit card with Lloyds for instance, and want to switch/cancel one of current accounts - would the automatic switching cancel just that one account, or all current accounts and credit cards with the old bank?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by phemark
    The switch will only move the single current account which you specify.

Unless your credit card is dependant on you holding a particular current account, which you switch, there will be no effect on your credit card.
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • bazza_wh
    • By bazza_wh 19th Nov 17, 5:07 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bazza_wh
    Has anyone else had issue with the TSB Classic Plus link? After I fill in the first page of the application I receive the message:
    We've encountered an error

We're sorry but something has gone wrong and we've had to end your session.

If you were in the middle of doing something such as applying for a credit card, you'll need to start again from the beginning.
    I've ensured that cookies are enabled and have tried 3 different browsers. I'm worried if I start again then I will not be eligible for the £130 MSE cash offer.

Anyone any suggestions?
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 4th Dec 17, 10:54 AM
    • 8,820 Posts
    • 21,127 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi all

Quick FYI in case you're considering it this ends today:

Free £130 then up to £10/mth for 7 months + 3% interest on £1,500
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • badger09
    • By badger09 4th Dec 17, 11:07 AM
    • 5,575 Posts
    • 4,879 Thanks
    badger09
    Hi all

Quick FYI in case you're considering it this ends today:

Free £130 then up to £10/mth for 7 months + 3% interest on £1,500
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea

MSE Andrea

Are you aware of this thread, where multiple posters are reporting ongoing problems accessing this offer

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5745013
    I'm a supporter of dunstonh
    • RandS
    • By RandS 4th Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    RandS
    How many accounts
    Hi "guys" there are times when it can pay to have more than one "bank" account. without naming names, i have contacted two banks over the last week, as in spite of scouring their web pages. I have been unable to determine how many accounts they will let me hold.

Is there any chance that in the tables of accounts we could have a column for the number of accounts which YOU think we may be able to open.

I guess you get your info from the oracle ? not simply from the web page ?

Dont let the B....B....banks grind you down
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 4th Dec 17, 7:54 PM
    • 5,890 Posts
    • 5,849 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Hi "guys" there are times when it can pay to have more than one "bank" account. without naming names, i have contacted two banks over the last week, as in spite of scouring their web pages. I have been unable to determine how many accounts they will let me hold.

Is there any chance that in the tables of accounts we could have a column for the number of accounts which YOU think we may be able to open.

I guess you get your info from the oracle ? not simply from the web page ?

Dont let the B....B....banks grind you down
    Originally posted by RandS
    The article that this thread is about does list how many accounts can be opened per person, at https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts#interest covering Nationwide, Tesco, BoS, TSB and Lloyds, i.e. the ones where credit interest warrants multiple accounts.
    • nolly2009
    • By nolly2009 4th Dec 17, 7:58 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    nolly2009
    The M&S current account link on this site says "To get the £125 gift card you must open the account and fully switch your account using M&S Bank's switching service within three months..."

Is it possible to open this as a new current account whilst keeping your existing one without "fully switching"? Clearly you would have to set up Direct Debits and pay a certain amount in per month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,662Posts Today

7,782Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin