Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 66
    • Brewer20
    • By Brewer20 13th Jun 17, 7:28 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Brewer20
    ^^^ But ask that question in branch and you may get a "no you can't"

I did but after reading the T&C's as above it's clear they were wrong in branch, unless they know more than me??

I've not tested them out yet (I'm a FD account holder) it's actually a choice between HSBC switch or M&S. I favour M&S switch but do I really need to buy anymore clothes from them is the big question?
    Last edited by Brewer20; 13-06-2017 at 7:35 PM.
    • smipx013
    • By smipx013 14th Jun 17, 11:14 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    smipx013
    Ongoing Poll of Best and Worst Accounts for Customer Service
    Hi,

I have a First Direct Account and have had since the week they first launched with HSBC in 1992. I have noticed over the last 2 years that the A+++ customer service that we all see and hear about has taken a bit of a nose dive as far as I am concerned. It would be great if MSE's rating methods were easy to add to by us forum members so the rating of any given bank can be a little better at reflecting our experiences. I have just had a quick look and I can't find any poll I can add my voice to right now. I guess the polls are released periodically but it would be better to have a live poll that is always there to be added to at the point a customer has a gripe that he wishes to have reflected. This could be on the front page and very visible (apologies if it is and I have missed it).

The last 2 times I have called First Direct they have not been able to resolve my problem and have not bothered to get back to me even when they have resolved it in the background.

One issue was the banking Android App which suddenly stopped working on my slightly older Phone. I challenged them and they gave me a pile of rubbish about my older phone not having the sufficient security needs bla bla bla when in fact it was simply because their app developers had not bothered to compile the app to be compatible with my older Android. Nothing at all to do with security - it was to do with cost of development. They were clueless. They told me it would not be supported in any future release of their software. I thought "okay fine - I guess its time to move because I'm not going to throw away a perfectly good phone just because they can't develop their apps properly). I gave up trying but this week I tried to install the app again and guess what - it works perfectly. They never bothered to reach out to me to tell me even though I raised a formal complaint about the situation weeks before. VERY POOR!!!

Second issue. I called them to ask for a new paying in book. I asked to get the thicker (more pages) book they I know they can issue. They said it was not possible and they never produced such a book even though the book I have in front of me is the larger capacity paying in book. I even counted the stubs to demonstrate to them the number in my book that is running out. They left me on hold for over 10 minutes while they went away to look into it. I had to hang up because I was fed up waiting and someone was at the front door. They never bothered to call me back and they never sent me a message or anything.

This is just two examples recently but I have several more going back at least 2 years. It is rare for me to have a "Good" or "Excellent" interaction with them anymore.

Paul
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 14th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 5,031 Posts
    • 4,778 Thanks
    eskbanker
    I guess the polls are released periodically but it would be better to have a live poll that is always there to be added to at the point a customer has a gripe that he wishes to have reflected.
    Originally posted by smipx013
    But an ongoing live poll like that would intrinsically be based on an even smaller sample size than the existing six-monthly ones and therefore even more heavily swayed by those with exactly the sort of gripes that you have - these polls aren't intended specifically for those who want to vent, they're intended to provide a balanced view (although whether that's ever actually possible is debatable).

This is just two examples recently but I have several more going back at least 2 years. It is rare for me to have a "Good" or "Excellent" interaction with them anymore.
    Originally posted by smipx013
    At the risk of asking the obvious, why are you sticking with the same bank for 25 years if you're unhappy with it, given how easy (and profitable) it is to switch? Vote with your feet, not your keyboard!
    • smipx013
    • By smipx013 15th Jun 17, 1:09 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    smipx013
    Fair points.

I have several bank accounts and the FD one suits my needs in the main.
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 26th Jun 17, 10:06 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    jnm21
    +1 here for the chrome issues applying for TSB account - seems that TSB have known about the exact issue (refuses to accept the branch selection) for 14 months, YES FOURTEEN MONTHS!

https://twitter.com/TSB/status/720955818024255490
    • jnm21
    • By jnm21 26th Jun 17, 10:45 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 157 Thanks
    jnm21
    So much for trying another browser - both IE & palemoon failing too (at the same point, but a different one to Chrome).

So much for being told by their helpline that they are open until 11PM - they must be quiet the last hour - the phone lines say closed - call back between whatever & 10PM.

Not impressed.
    • darkidoe
    • By darkidoe 27th Jun 17, 5:33 PM
    • 793 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    darkidoe
    I have a very positive experience with M&S Telebanking. First Direct takes too much talking, explaining terms and conditions and questions.

I tend to prefer good online banking interfaces so I can avoid all the explaining and talking through the phone.

Save 12K in 2017 # 9 £6036.65/15 000 (40.24%)
    Save 12K in 2016 # 8 £19 721.58/12 000 (164.35%) Achieved!
    • colsten
    • By colsten 27th Jun 17, 7:13 PM
    • 8,609 Posts
    • 7,231 Thanks
    colsten
    I have a very positive experience with M&S Telebanking. First Direct takes too much talking, explaining terms and conditions and questions.

I tend to prefer good online banking interfaces so I can avoid all the explaining and talking through the phone.
    Originally posted by darkidoe
    M&S online banking is stuck in a timewarp. The login process is the most awful of any UK bank that I have come across, and I have accounts with literally all of them. Their app is an absolute joke, too. Granted, they have now texted people to say they will upgrade their app in a couple of months time, so may be they will enter the 21st century sometime soon.

They do have a lovely Regular Saver account though.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 29th Jun 17, 6:31 AM
    • 5,085 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    badger09
    M&S online banking is stuck in a timewarp. The login process is the most awful of any UK bank that I have come across, and I have accounts with literally all of them. Their app is an absolute joke, too. Granted, they have now texted people to say they will upgrade their app in a couple of months time, so may be they will enter the 21st century sometime soon.

They do have a lovely Regular Saver account though.
    Originally posted by colsten
    I await the 'upgraded' app with baited breath as I still haven't been able to install the current version.

And I loathe the widget needed for online log in. Fortunately I rarely need to use it.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 29th Jun 17, 5:38 PM
    • 17,528 Posts
    • 8,845 Thanks
    schiff
    M&S online banking. The login process is the most awful of any UK bank that I have come across, and I have accounts with literally all of them.
    I really can't agree with you here WADR.

Username, which you can 'save' - EMA
    favourite city or country
    longish press on the reader
    press out a 4-digit PIN
    type the six figures in the box provided

20 seconds, 25 at a pinch?
    • schiff
    • By schiff 29th Jun 17, 5:42 PM
    • 17,528 Posts
    • 8,845 Thanks
    schiff
    I await the 'upgraded' app with baited breath as I still haven't been able to install the current version.
    Originally posted by badger09
    Love that

I've read that dragons have baited breath.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 29th Jun 17, 9:05 PM
    • 8,609 Posts
    • 7,231 Thanks
    colsten
    I really can't agree with you here WADR.

Username, which you can 'save' - EMA
    favourite city or country
    longish press on the reader
    press out a 4-digit PIN
    type the six figures in the box provided

20 seconds, 25 at a pinch?
    Originally posted by schiff
    Who on earth in their right mind would force their customers to use that hideous number generating gadget that you can't even hook onto a key ring? No need to answer.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 29th Jun 17, 9:14 PM
    • 17,528 Posts
    • 8,845 Thanks
    schiff
    Who on earth in their right mind would force their customers to use that hideous number generating gadget that you can't even hook onto a key ring? No need to answer.
    OK then, don't
    • schiff
    • By schiff 30th Jun 17, 3:38 PM
    • 17,528 Posts
    • 8,845 Thanks
    schiff
    Just to add something to that. The gadget is a nuisance admittedly but I don't think many people would use this account as a full current account if they felt that way. I opened mine for the switching bonus and the regular saver, and only keep £50 or so in it. The mandatory £1000 deposit goes in every month and comes out instantly with standing orders to regular savers. The obligatory two direct debits go out and a miscellaneous bit of interest on an ISA goes in.

I check the account maybe five times a month, at home so there's no need to cart the gadget out of the house! The main issue is making sure that I have a minimum of £250 or so in the account when the RS deposit is due.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 30th Jun 17, 6:40 PM
    • 8,609 Posts
    • 7,231 Thanks
    colsten
    Just to add something to that. The gadget is a nuisance admittedly but I don't think many people would use this account as a full current account if they felt that way. I opened mine for the switching bonus and the regular saver, and only keep £50 or so in it. The mandatory £1000 deposit goes in every month and comes out instantly with standing orders to regular savers. The obligatory two direct debits go out and a miscellaneous bit of interest on an ISA goes in.

I check the account maybe five times a month, at home so there's no need to cart the gadget out of the house! The main issue is making sure that I have a minimum of £250 or so in the account when the RS deposit is due.
    That is all fine and dandy and not totally dissimilar to what I did/do (except I only log in once a month and certainly don't keep £50 in the current account), but to call it a Top Bank Account would be rather far-fetched.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 30th Jun 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    polymaff
    It's probably the naff-est of such devices - and the least disabled-friendly by some way. The key thing is to use in on a hard surface.

If it goes wrong - when it goes wrong - snap it in half and a watch battery falls out
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 30th Jun 17, 7:19 PM
    • 963 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    TheShape
    It's probably the naff-est of such devices - and the least disabled-friendly by some way. The key thing is to use in on a hard surface.

If it goes wrong - when it goes wrong - snap it in half and a watch battery falls out
    Originally posted by polymaff
    What did you think it was powered by, Magic?
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 30th Jun 17, 7:24 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 678 Thanks
    polymaff
    What did you think it was powered by, Magic?
    Originally posted by TheShape
    But of course.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 2nd Jul 17, 6:44 AM
    • 5,085 Posts
    • 4,280 Thanks
    badger09
    Love that

I've read that dragons have baited breath.
    Not just dragons
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,139Posts Today

9,111Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin