Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 65
    • MyOnlyPost
    • By MyOnlyPost 5th Mar 17, 7:53 PM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 1,020 Thanks
    MyOnlyPost
    It really is simple, before your switch goes through open a new (2nd) Halifax account. Then after the switch you still have a reward account. Add 2x DD and continue as before to get rewards on both Halifax and Co-Op accounts
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 5th Mar 17, 8:09 PM
    • 3,637 Posts
    • 13,619 Thanks
    Westie983
    I am planning to switch to Halifax to get the 75 and then switch to Co-oP to get their 110. I can't find anything in the Halifax Ts&Cs that says I have to keep the account for a certain length of time to avoid a clawback of the 75. Have I missed something or am I looking for a black cat in a dark room? Thanks.
    Originally posted by spexs
    There is no time you have to remain with Halifax, the only downfall could be, being accepted for an new account at Coop after recently opening the Halifax account, as all applications are subject to credit scoring and history therein...

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total 11225/12000 93.54%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (252) +158/500 = 82.00% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 1 a Day #6 Total 170/365 = 46.57%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 600/1000 = 60.00%
    2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (1450)+50/2000 = 75.00%
    Total 13905.00/15865 = 87.64%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 5th Mar 17, 8:16 PM
    • 3,637 Posts
    • 13,619 Thanks
    Westie983
    You've lost me on this. So, for the sake of clarity, let's take this step by step:

1. I have a Halifax Reward account that I've just switched into and now I'm enjoying the 3 per month Reward and I got 75 for switch to Halifax.
    2. I decide to switch from the Halifax Reward account to the Co-op, so that I can get the Co-op's 110 switching bonus.
    3. I duly switch from Halifax Reward to Co-op. The Halifax account closes at the point of switching.
    4. The Halifax account being closed means that I no longer get the 3 monthly Reward, but I retain the 75 switching bonus that I got for joining Halifax.

Is any of that incorrect?
    Originally posted by Steve_xx
    Thats all correct,

I think what others are suggesting is, to keep your halifax reward account that you have just opened and got the incentive for, (75) you can either switch other account to COOP and claim their incentive and reward payments, or if you dont have another account to switch, then open a current account with Halifax or any other bank (but probably easier to open one where you already have some history with accounts but not bad history)

Then you switch that account instead, that way you still keep the Halifax Reward account and 3 each month you pay 750 and pay out 2 DD, and say in credit and the 75 already claimed. You will then still get 110 and 4 a month from COOP for paying in 800, signing in using app or internet banking staying in credit and paying out 4 DD.

Hope this helps

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2017 #16 Total 11225/12000 93.54%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 10 #97 Total (252) +158/500 = 82.00% ( x 10)
    Xmas 2017 1 a Day #6 Total 170/365 = 46.57%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 600/1000 = 60.00%
    2 Savers Club 2017 #3 Total (1450)+50/2000 = 75.00%
    Total 13905.00/15865 = 87.64%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • spexs
    • By spexs 6th Mar 17, 11:05 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    spexs
    Don't apologise it's funny😂
    • schiff
    • By schiff 6th Mar 17, 12:45 PM
    • 17,421 Posts
    • 8,756 Thanks
    schiff
    reiterate vb: To say repeatedly.
    Originally posted by polymaff
    From one grammar Nazi to another I don't agree with your correction. It's odd that there is no verb to iterate, so that when you interate more than once you reiterate.

My esteemed Collins English Dictionary for Advanced Learners (a terrific buy at 4.99 from a remainders shop) defines reiterate as 'something you say again, usually to emphasise it'.

So I think Steve was right. He could have used repeat and we wouldn't have had this conversation.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 6th Mar 17, 1:03 PM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    polymaff
    From one grammar Nazi to another I don't agree with your correction. It's odd that there is no verb to iterate, so that when you interate more than once you reiterate.

My esteemed Collins English Dictionary for Advanced Learners (a terrific buy at 4.99 from a remainders shop) defines reiterate as 'something you say again, usually to emphasise it'.

So I think Steve was right. He could have used repeat and we wouldn't have had this conversation.
    Originally posted by schiff
    Strangely enough, I was quoting the CED.

You seem to be missing my point though. As far as I can see, SteveXX had neither reiterated nor repeated "you cannot switch from the "Reward" account and retain the 3 reward!" - that was the first time he'd made that blindingly obvious point.

This has been one of the barmiest threads I've ever read on MSE.
    • schiff
    • By schiff 6th Mar 17, 2:24 PM
    • 17,421 Posts
    • 8,756 Thanks
    schiff
    Strangely enough, I was quoting the CED.

You seem to be missing my point though. As far as I can see, SteveXX had neither reiterated nor repeated "you cannot switch from the "Reward" account and retain the 3 reward!" - that was the first time he'd made that blindingly obvious point.

He hadn't but someone else had. He was reiterating what someone else said.

Hunting the better places for your hard-earned can never be barmy; boring, repetitive yes but never barmy
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 6th Mar 17, 2:33 PM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    polymaff
    He hadn't but someone else had. He was reiterating what someone else said.

Hunting the better places for your hard-earned can never be barmy; boring, repetitive yes but never barmy
    Originally posted by schiff
    We'll have to agree to differ on both points. Any resemblance between this last "can I close an account and still get its benefits" sub-thread and meaningful input passes me by
    • badger09
    • By badger09 6th Mar 17, 2:36 PM
    • 4,858 Posts
    • 4,050 Thanks
    badger09

Clearly, you don't spend as much time on here as I do
    • Baalmaiden
    • By Baalmaiden 29th Mar 17, 9:23 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Baalmaiden
    current account switching service
    A very basic question about switching current accounts - your direct debits are automatically switched to your new account, but what about payments in? I have my FIT payment for my solar panels paid into my current account, will this be arranged for my new account?
    • schiff
    • By schiff 29th Mar 17, 9:33 AM
    • 17,421 Posts
    • 8,756 Thanks
    schiff
    A very basic question about switching current accounts - your direct debits are automatically switched to your new account, but what about payments in? I have my FIT payment for my solar panels paid into my current account, will this be arranged for my new account?
    Originally posted by Baalmaiden
    It worked for me with an investment dividend received at the new switched account (M&S).
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 29th Mar 17, 9:41 AM
    • 1,545 Posts
    • 666 Thanks
    polymaff
    Originally posted by Baalmaiden
    Q: What happens to payments that people send to my old account?

A: The Current Account Switch Service will redirect payments to your new account. Each time an electronic payment is redirected an automatic message is sent back to the originator advising them of the new account details so they can update their records. Some organisations may contact you directly to confirm your details have changed.

https://www.currentaccountswitch.co.uk/helpandsupport/Pages/help.aspx
    • positiveR
    • By positiveR 18th May 17, 12:21 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    positiveR
    Just opened the TSB via the newsletter link; online accepted and set-up in minutes. Switch (from co-op, only been there a month!) is due next Friday. How long before the bonus is paid?
    • MSE Rosie
    • By MSE Rosie 19th May 17, 2:22 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    MSE Rosie
    Hi positiveR, the bonus is paid within 28 working days of the switch completing as long as you meet all the terms. For more see Best Bank Accounts. Thanks, MSE Rosie.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,471Posts Today

6,774Users online

Martin's Twitter