Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 60
    • glaister
    • By glaister 17th Jul 16, 10:30 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    glaister
    Great, cheers!
    • Navybhoy
    • By Navybhoy 21st Jul 16, 11:35 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Navybhoy
    I've read a lot of good things recently about the Natwest Rewards CA, given that I'm in the process of buying my buying my first house I thought it would be pro-active of me to get a joint account sorted out for me and the Mrs prior to us moving in.

So I applied online several weeks ago and haven't heard anything by post or email since. I popped into my local branch (Congleton, Cheshire) to see if they could track my application, to which the staff said they couldn't assist me - no surprises there hence the online application!

So I'm just wondering if anybody else has had any issues applying for this account?

I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't been informed either way as to the success of the application. Perhaps this is a sign of things to come and a subliminal sign from a higher power telling me to avoid Natwest?
    • cantgoonhols
    • By cantgoonhols 10th Aug 16, 2:49 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cantgoonhols
    Hi

I've been moving accounts around for the switching bonus and I was looking at going to First Direct next, however ML said if you have ever had a FD account you won't qualify for the switching bonus. Does he mean this literally? I had a joint account with my husband with them around 14 years ago. I thought they were only allowed to keep records for a maximum of 7, so how would they know, because it would be registered with CRAs
    • politicfool
    • By politicfool 10th Sep 16, 12:02 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    politicfool
    HSBC Advance
    Been trying to get the new HSBC Advance bonus. Just a word to the wise that it may not be so easy.

Spent 45 minutes on the phone with them doing the application (they do not accept online applications from anyone who has to pay tax in another country, which I do as a dual UK/US citizen). The application required a huge amount of useless information about monthly bills and the like which I could see the point of for a mortgage application but seems overkill for a current account.

They then referred it on for further assessment, which took a few days, after which time I was accepted only for a standard bank account with no switching bonus - which I declined as I couldn't see the point.

They said it was due to information in my Equifax credit report, but I checked it recently and it contains no adverse information whatsoever, so it seems like they're making excuses.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 10th Sep 16, 1:55 PM
    • 6,367 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    They said it was due to information in my Equifax credit report, but I checked it recently and it contains no adverse information whatsoever, so it seems like they're making excuses.
    Originally posted by politicfool
    That's interesting. It makes me wonder if perhaps looking at your Equifax report they can maybe see that you have several bank accounts and so their thinking is that you might be milking the system and so they've decided not to bite? Could that be a possibility in your case do you think?
    • mt99
    • By mt99 10th Sep 16, 4:58 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    mt99
    call them
    I had a FD account 15 years ago and wondered exactly the same thing - would I get the switching bonus. So I called them and asked if I had ever had an account with them as I couldn't remember - they entered my name and dob etc and said no I hadn't - so I got the bonus
    • castle96
    • By castle96 11th Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 239 Thanks
    castle96
    I had one 25 yrs ago and they found it
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 25th Sep 16, 5:11 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    TheShape
    Possibly an easier option if you intend to keep £5000 in the account, is to transfer £1,500 out of the account each month and then immediately transfer it back in again. No new money required.
    Originally posted by Superscrooge
    I know this is an old post but I'd been having trouble thinking about how I'd fund another Current Account requiring a pay in. How silly to get stuck thinking pay-in then pay-out rather than pay-out then pay-in.
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 10th Oct 16, 8:02 AM
    • 80 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    First Direct - top Bank?
    I recently opened a FD current account in order to apply for a regular saver account, and I just don't understand how MSE reports rate them as "top accounts" with "excellent customer service".
    Their online system is a PITA, and their security procedures are downright frustrating and insecure as I've already pointed out to them.
    Compared to the brilliant service I get from the Nationwide (both online and offline) they are light-years behind, and I'm not saying that because of some misguided loyalty to NW. If Nationwide was as useless as FD I wouldn't still be with them now!
    For me, MSE surveys are questionable at best, and I'm beginning to suspect not very reliable.
    • CptJackSparrow
    • By CptJackSparrow 10th Oct 16, 6:22 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    CptJackSparrow
    First Direct Customer Service rating
    Hi - MSE quotes very high on Customer Service for First Direct. However uktrustpilot has rated FD Customer Service as Bad!

Are there any real customers on this forum who can comment on the Customer Service for a First Direct Current Account? I was planning to switch to it.

Thanks,
    Sparrow
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 10th Oct 16, 6:43 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    Yes - as a very real customer of FD I am not very impressed at all. I'm sure there are far better banks out there. As already stated, Nationwide provides a much more efficient, user-friendly online system, and their customer support team is far easier to reach. I waited 15m to reach FD online support recently.
    I certainly won't be transferring, nor will I be recommending others to do so. FD seems to exhibit the same bureaucracy and inefficiencies as its parent HSBC.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 10th Oct 16, 6:44 PM
    • 6,367 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Hi - MSE quotes very high on Customer Service for First Direct. However uktrustpilot has rated FD Customer Service as Bad!

Are there any real customers on this forum who can comment on the Customer Service for a First Direct Current Account? I was planning to switch to it.

Thanks,
    Sparrow
    Originally posted by CptJackSparrow
    Frankly, they seem ok to me. No better or worse than any of the others. The only time you ever need to contact banks generally is when something has gone a bit awry, and on that basis I'd say they were no better or worse than the others.
    • polymaff
    • By polymaff 10th Oct 16, 7:20 PM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 514 Thanks
    polymaff
    The problem I've had with FD is that, even if you've just got a general enquiry, they insist on going through a lot of security. This trait isn't unique to FD - but I'd say that they're by far the worst.
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 10th Oct 16, 7:35 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    Not all banks are "no better or worse than any of the others" by any means otherwise MSE would be redundant and I'd wouldn't be posting here.
    Real life experience:
    1. I recently opened a regular saver account with Nationwide online - created instantly, transferred initial payment same time earning interest from day one, and the account was available to view online within 24 hrs. The whole process was effortless.
    2. Tried the same today with FD - still waiting for confirmation, and my initial payment is still sulking in the FD current account earning no interest and waiting to be transferred to the Regular Saver account.

They stink and I'm seriously of closing all accounts with FD and trying TSB instead.
    Last edited by Dewpoint; 10-10-2016 at 7:36 PM. Reason: add some detail
    • colsten
    • By colsten 10th Oct 16, 9:25 PM
    • 8,147 Posts
    • 6,642 Thanks
    colsten
    The trouble is that there is no universally accepted definition of "customer service" so all the ratings are basically meaningless.

I have accounts with literally all the UK current account providers, incl. First Direct. They are mostly all ok but those in the HSBC Group (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) stand out for two reasons
    1. they have increasingly difficult security and ID requirements, and generally ancient systems
    2. they have the best interest rates for regular savers

It's for the latter reason I have accounts with all the HSBC banks. Certainly would choose them for the first!

If you have never been a First Direct customer, it's worth looking into their joining and leaving offers as there could be an easy £250 to earn. You might have to wait a bit for the £150 switching offer to become available again - could be worth the wait.
    • Steve_xx
    • By Steve_xx 10th Oct 16, 9:28 PM
    • 6,367 Posts
    • 2,643 Thanks
    Steve_xx
    Not all banks are "no better or worse than any of the others" by any means otherwise MSE would be redundant and I'd wouldn't be posting here.
    Real life experience:
    1. I recently opened a regular saver account with Nationwide online - created instantly, transferred initial payment same time earning interest from day one, and the account was available to view online within 24 hrs. The whole process was effortless.
    2. Tried the same today with FD - still waiting for confirmation, and my initial payment is still sulking in the FD current account earning no interest and waiting to be transferred to the Regular Saver account.

They stink and I'm seriously of closing all accounts with FD and trying TSB instead.
    Originally posted by Dewpoint
    You were asking for other peoples thoughts/experiences. I gave you mine, but I didn't say that everyone would be of the same mind.

MSE is about a lot more than just banks. So doubt that the website would become redundant in their absence.

Yes, close your First Direct accounts, and forego the best paying regular savings account around for the sake of waiting a day or two. That makes a huge amount of sense, but not to me!
    • colsten
    • By colsten 10th Oct 16, 9:29 PM
    • 8,147 Posts
    • 6,642 Thanks
    colsten
    Not all banks are "no better or worse than any of the others" by any means otherwise MSE would be redundant
    Originally posted by Dewpoint
    I see you have a low post count, so just in case you are not aware: there is a huge amount more to MSE than banks.
    • Simonne15
    • By Simonne15 29th Oct 16, 7:04 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Simonne15
    More issues than the obvious for 'best banks'.
    That's a positive suggestion to provide categories of information since there are I believe 'hidden' aspects to bank accounts - even those which appear to have the best features. By this I mean that customers only discover the quality of the bank's admin when something goes wrong and that's clearly not known before changing accounts.
    Although my account ticks over without hitch generally, I've had two incidents when Nationwide's admin departments have caused disaster. One was when I allowed branch staff to persuade me to open a credit card account but despite my having had a current account for years there, central admin themselves got my personal details completely confused for months so wouldn't open the account; and the other more recently was with their 'Refer a friend' scheme, so that was particularly embarrassing. They failed to meet the advertised/stated duration for paying the £100 into her new account by two months, with the result that some of her direct debits then weren't paid. They refused to take responsibility and they charged her again and again.
    By then we were both so sick of phoning them and waiting in their phone queues -(because of their delay these calls sometimes had to be from our holiday destination abroad)- that she has now changed back to her Halifax account and I am also after many years about to leave Nationwide for these reasons. Nationwide was the first to offer no charge on ATM withdrawals abroad but withdrew that years ago. Maybe they have someone coming up with innovative ideas but their admin systems can't back it all up properly???
    Their branch counter staff are great BUT central admin departments are poor and what's more not directly contactable even by their customer service staff.
    In other words, there are more aspects to banking than the obvious when things go wrong.
    • Simonne15
    • By Simonne15 29th Oct 16, 7:08 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Simonne15
    First Direct Customer Service
    We have been with FD for years now and constantly praise their speed of answering calls and high standards of being clear and coherent on the phone; they are outstanding.
    I cannot understand where the survey outcome score comes from unless people have confused FD with HSBC!
    • Dewpoint
    • By Dewpoint 29th Oct 16, 7:18 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Dewpoint
    FD is the worst ever.
    After all the problems I've had with FD, their inefficiency and their ludicrously cumbersome online system no amount of money would induce me to switch. And I can get as much interest from my N/W regular saver as I can with FD! When the 12 months are up I'll be dumping FD and breathing a sigh of relief.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

230Posts Today

2,479Users online

Martin's Twitter