Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kane.dene
    • By kane.dene 10th Jan 18, 7:03 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kane.dene
    Resign or Fight
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:03 PM
    Resign or Fight 10th Jan 18 at 7:03 PM
    I worked for housing association over 10 years and we get new management.

I was managed by previous boss but new boss says you have new manager but job remains the same. my new manager has no idea about the job, no support and terrible.

New Boss only gives himself and 3 other managers pay rise in 4 years but company do very well and people perform well.

I start apply for other job but wonder if this is right.

Should i resign or raise complaint for unfair treatment, demotion and stress new manager and boss do to me to force me out. I believe they want me out.

I'm also an ethnic minority but dont want to believe this is discrimination but could it be?
    Thank you.
Page 1
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 10th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:13 PM
    Just because you may be a member of a minority group it does not give you an automatic right to pay rises. Why were you not given a rise? Was the reason discrimination if not you have no case
    • sangie595
    • By sangie595 10th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 4,394 Posts
    • 7,331 Thanks
    sangie595
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:49 PM
    Got have the same job and the same pay. Where is the demotion?
    What is unfair? Being a lousy manager isn't illegal.

If you don't like your job or employer, then getting another job is the correct thing to do.
    • PersianCatLady
    • By PersianCatLady 10th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 421 Posts
    • 387 Thanks
    PersianCatLady
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:32 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:32 PM

I was managed by previous boss but new boss says you have new manager but job remains the same. my new manager has no idea about the job, no support and terrible.

New Boss only gives himself and 3 other managers pay rise in 4 years but company do very well and people perform well.

Should i resign or raise complaint for unfair treatment, demotion and stress new manager and boss do to me to force me out. I believe they want me out.

I'm also an ethnic minority but dont want to believe this is discrimination but could it be?
    Thank you.
    Originally posted by kane.dene
    Sorry what are you going to complain about exactly??
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 11th Jan 18, 7:56 AM
    • 4,415 Posts
    • 4,638 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:56 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 7:56 AM

Thank you.
    Originally posted by kane.dene
    Some aspects of this don't make sense. You refer to new manager and then say he has been giving himself and 3 others payrises for 4 years. If he's been giving himself a payrise it suggests that he owns the company and is therefore free to pay himself whatever he wants.
    As for being a bad manager - welcome to the real world. Sadly there seem to be more bad than good managers these days. Having an unsupportive manager does not mean you have been demoted, or treated unfairly. Only if you can show that you are being treated differently to other doing the same job might that be true.
    Are you the only employee working for this manager and are you the only employee not to have received a payrise? If the answer to either of those questions is 'No', I think you'll have a hard time trying to play the 'race' card.
    If you aren't happy with the situation you have three real options. 1. Take it up with your manager. 2. Grit your teeth and get on with it. 3. Look for another job.
    Last edited by TELLIT01; 11-01-2018 at 7:58 AM.
    • enjoyyourshoes
    • By enjoyyourshoes 11th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 945 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    enjoyyourshoes
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:04 AM
    On the face of it I do not think you have any case for discrimination.
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
    • kane.dene
    • By kane.dene 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kane.dene
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:18 AM
    Just because you may be a member of a minority group it does not give you an automatic right to pay rises. Why were you not given a rise? Was the reason discrimination if not you have no case
    Originally posted by ssparks2003
    That's what i like to know - in previous years pay rise given to all managers, without fail. now i get 'demoted' but job remains the same but i believe this done so as not to qualify for pay rises.
    • kane.dene
    • By kane.dene 13th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kane.dene
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:26 AM
    Some aspects of this don't make sense. You refer to new manager and then say he has been giving himself and 3 others payrises for 4 years. If he's been giving himself a payrise it suggests that he owns the company and is therefore free to pay himself whatever he wants.
    As for being a bad manager - welcome to the real world. Sadly there seem to be more bad than good managers these days. Having an unsupportive manager does not mean you have been demoted, or treated unfairly. Only if you can show that you are being treated differently to other doing the same job might that be true.
    Are you the only employee working for this manager and are you the only employee not to have received a payrise? If the answer to either of those questions is 'No', I think you'll have a hard time trying to play the 'race' card.
    If you aren't happy with the situation you have three real options. 1. Take it up with your manager. 2. Grit your teeth and get on with it. 3. Look for another job.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    To be clear, it is an association and not for profit - we don't need to make profit but we do. the previous boss earned less and was fair with pay rises. I get my pay rises without fail based on mine and our joint performance. so for example we can afford receptionists at 45K! The value was in the people and what they do for the association. new boss, gives themselves and 3 other only payrises - the 4 are the ones that report to the board of the association. collusion? So i agree with you general view and points but this is specific.
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 13th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 254 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    • 13th Jan 18, 9:42 AM
    Well with the (lack of) detailed information you have provided here it sounds like you you don't have a claim just a case of sour grapes.
    • Mulder00
    • By Mulder00 13th Jan 18, 12:42 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    Mulder00
    Reading and re-reading what you wrote - you got a new boss, but your job remained the same. You later call it a demotion, but then re-iterate that the job remained the same. If the job remained the same and you received no increase, that isn't a demotion. Or maybe explain why you think it is a demotion?

Unless in your contract, I don't think you are entitled to a pay rise. In light of the fact that your job remained the same and you didn't get a pay rise, I don't think this is unfair treatment or discrimination based on your ethnicity, nor would it constitute a demotion, unless you want to clarify.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 13th Jan 18, 2:01 PM
    • 6,355 Posts
    • 11,449 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    I don’t understand OP in what way were you demoted? Did you get a new contract and job title or something?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 13th Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I can't see there is much you can do about a poor manager ( unless he is actually treating you unfairly and different to everyone else) Most of us either have one or have had one at some stage.
    So were you actually officially demoted? Have you been given a different role in the organisation? If so, why? It must have been explained?
    Or did other people doing the same job get a rise and you didn't? That could possibly be unfair but depends if its based on performance / length of service etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

920Posts Today

7,776Users online

Martin's Twitter