Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • theroamingnomad
    • By theroamingnomad 10th Jan 18, 6:50 PM
    • 72Posts
    • 80Thanks
    theroamingnomad
    Question about satisfied vs partially satisfied defaults
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:50 PM
    Question about satisfied vs partially satisfied defaults 10th Jan 18 at 6:50 PM
    I have 7 defaults lodged against my credit file between November 2016 and January 2017. The result of a relationship and burying my head in the sand. Fast forward to today and I've been paying down against these debts for the past couple of months.

The debt total just over £5200 and both DCAs, Lowell and Cabot, have offered me reductions in the total amount payable by 20% to have a current balance that is just over £4100.

Would it be in my best interests, credit report-wise, to accept this offer? Or should I just continue paying a little longer and settle the entire debt?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 15,698 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    The sooner settled, the better it looks to lenders.
    • theroamingnomad
    • By theroamingnomad 10th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    theroamingnomad
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    Is there a difference between partial and full settlement for the default though? Would they should differently to potential lenders?
    • zx81
    • By zx81 10th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 14,870 Posts
    • 15,698 Thanks
    zx81
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    There's a difference - but generally marginal for most lenders.

I would accept the partial settlement to get it over with and show that you can settle an account in a not too drawn out fashion.
    • theroamingnomad
    • By theroamingnomad 10th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 72 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    theroamingnomad
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:55 PM
    Perfect. I can settle within the next 6 months. That will give me some peace of mind. Thanks for you insight
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,455Posts Today

10,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin