Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • J B
    • By J B 10th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,472Posts
    • 814Thanks
    J B
    New printer for small office
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    New printer for small office 10th Jan 18 at 6:47 PM
    I know it's been asked many times but here we go ....

I help out a bit in a friends office.

They have PC1 hard wired to a Brother B&W Laser printer.
    PC2 is not used as often but works just fine.
    Both PCs are on W10

They needed a new multi function printer to scan and colour print wirelessly from both PCs and purchased a Brother MFC-J4420DW
    There were various connection problems with this - can't really remember what they were, so they purchased a Canon Pixma TS5150 which has been a complete PITA - it would print the first page but then just sat there saying 'processing' or something like that!
    Nothing would get the machine out of this loop till you rebooted the PC, of turned the printer off at the wall.
    Several sessions of installing and reinstalling the drivers/software etc made no difference and Mr Canon's recommendations all proved fruitless.
    The Canon is back in the box and heading back to Currys and I was going to reinstall the Brother wireless one till they said ...
    "We didn't get on with that, why don't we try to get a decent one ...."

The printer is on a separate desk about 5m from each PC so a wired connection would not be impossible, but can you hard wire two PC's to one printer??

Suggestions please ....
Page 1
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 10th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    • 2,245 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:12 PM
    You can connect is via wireless if either or both computers have a wireless card. You can connect via your router. People used to use printer sharer boxes but the technology has moved on I think.
    • J B
    • By J B 10th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    J B
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    Both PC's have wireless cards and have connected to both printers ... just that it's all been rather problematic!
    • googler
    • By googler 11th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 14,546 Posts
    • 9,408 Thanks
    googler
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:11 AM
    We've got a Canon MG4250 connected wirelessly to our network, and it has printed without issue from two PCs (Win 7 and Win XP), and a host of mobile devices through Airprint

That you've had issues with both printers, of different brands, suggests the problem is not with the printers.

Are the PCs connected via a router, or are they standalones?
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    • 1,940 Posts
    • 1,383 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:45 PM
    On the Brother get it to connect wirelessly to their wifi network and set a static IP address. When setting up the printer on both computers use that IP address. Part of the problem with the Brother printers is it tries to use the non-routable Web Services for Devices (WSD) which should make things easier as it should mean it can find the printer no matter where it is or gets moved to on a network but in my experience it does fall over a lot.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 11-01-2018 at 12:57 PM.
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    J B
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    We've got a Canon MG4250 connected wirelessly to our network, and it has printed without issue from two PCs (Win 7 and Win XP), and a host of mobile devices through Airprint
    Originally posted by googler
    At my home we have a Canon MX495 which has also worked seamlessly - I suppose I ought to unplug it, take it there and try it!!

That you've had issues with both printers, of different brands, suggests the problem is not with the printers.

Are the PCs connected via a router, or are they standalones?
    Originally posted by googler
    PC2 is plugged into the router as it's on the same desk
    PC1 is connected wirelessly to the router - there is facility to connect PC1 directly, but it isn't used.

On the Brother get it to connect wirelessly to their wifi network and set a static IP address. When setting up the printer on both computers use that IP address. Part of the problem with the Brother printers is it tries to use the non-routable Web Services for Devices (WSD) which should make things easier as it should mean it can find the printer no matter where it is or gets moved to on a network but in my experience it does fall over a lot.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Whoosh!
    Sorry, is there a simple guide to do this??
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 11th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 4,544 Posts
    • 1,674 Thanks
    knightstyle
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    We had the same problem just before Christmas at home and after spending a lot of time and many emails sent the Canon printer back. Canon UK said we could buy another printer online from them with 20% off so we got the TS3150
    To get it working wirelessly we had to uninstall all the Canon programs from a PC, Macbook and iPad, then reinstall the program for the TS series of printers from here:
    http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/WebPortal/PTL/ptl-top.html?lng=en&lapp=ijstartcanon
    The printer now works fine from all over the house from all our devices.
    So try that and if no joy contact Canon online support.
    Last edited by knightstyle; 11-01-2018 at 6:19 PM. Reason: add a bit
    • J B
    • By J B 11th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    J B
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:17 PM
    To get it working wirelessly we had to uninstall all the Canon programs from a PC, Macbook and iPad, then reinstall the program for the TS series of printers from here:
    http://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/WebPortal/PTL/ptl-top.html?lng=en&lapp=ijstartcanon
    The printer now works fine from all over the house from all our devices.
    So try that and if no joy contact Canon online support.
    Originally posted by knightstyle

Several sessions of installing and reinstalling the drivers/software etc made no difference and Mr Canon's recommendations all proved fruitless..
    Originally posted by J B
    What Mr Canon told us to do was to uninstall all their stuff and then ...
    • Download package of drivers and software:
    https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_ts_series/pixma-ts5150.aspx?type=drivers&driverdetailid=tcm:14-1605126&os=Windows%2010%20(64-bit)&language=EN

But that failed to make any difference ...
    • toshi
    • By toshi 11th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    toshi
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:28 PM
    Let’s do this “properly”, I mean in universal way. Then you don’t have to worry about which printer you are using. (it doesn’t matter wireless or not as long as the printer is networked)

Don’t think to buy (bring) another printer, this shouldn’t be a solution. We will stick to Brother MFC-J4420DW as you have already have it. If you have more devices without understanding basics, your system will be messier and less manageable, costs you more, more consumables.

It seems that printer manufacturers attempt to make setup easy, then your printer magically will work fine without your understanding. It is scary, isn’t it ? (lol) as it actually create a black box.

Let's use Tarambor’s suggestion, I want you to use a static IP address for printer. But you need a basic understanding. No worry, straightforward, once you have understood a basic, it will work with any network printers (wireless or not) No more guess work and never ever want to buy another printer (lol)

Basically you are making a network set-up. All of devices are under same network. ADSL wireless router, PC1, PC2, Printer is the same network. Then each device has a unique IP address.

Can you try to run “ipconfig” with one of computers ? see the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R6eiMl8T0Y

Then we need the information of the below part, (only 3 lines we really need now)

Connection-specific DNS Suffix :
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.x (this is the IP address for this computer)
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0 (you can just leave it)
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.x.x (usually this is the ADSL router address)

Please find out one of computer’s above information.

Initially it would take time, but in the end you will save a lot of time with confidence. We can continue to next step. Believe me, you will save more time in the end

Happy happy computing
    Last edited by toshi; Today at 10:01 AM. Reason: clarification minor correction
    • J B
    • By J B 12th Jan 18, 9:01 AM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    J B
    Many thanks
    Please find out one of computerís above information.
    Originally posted by toshi
    I'm going back there on Monday but will see if they can get this info before then.

J
    • J B
    • By J B 12th Jan 18, 1:06 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    J B
    ................ but will see if they can get this info before then.
    Originally posted by J B
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Last edited by J B; 12-01-2018 at 1:09 PM.
    • toshi
    • By toshi 12th Jan 18, 2:25 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    toshi
    IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
    Originally posted by J B
    Great, we have to use wireless network connection as it seems that MFC-J4420DW has no wired (ethernet) LAN connection ...

Ok, let's start

Step 1 Setup a static IP address for Brother Printer

I setup the brother printer as follows

IP ADDRESS (IPv4) 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.1.1

I would do this setup via Brother Control Panel (Actual Brother Printer's small touch screen LCD)http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/htmldoc/mfc/cv_mfc4620dw/uke/manual/index.html#GUID-0666CBC6-02F5-468C-A65E-8C5FFBE620A8_432

press (Settings)>All Settings>Network.

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/htmldoc/mfc/cv_mfc4620dw/uke/manual/index.html#GUID-6479E074-5013-4FBA-A486-728D1FE3AF5B_499

There would be various settings, but no worry!

Boot Method : Static
    This will setup the printer with a static IP address

IP Address
    Subnet Mask
    Gateway

Other settings; you can just leave as it is. (Yes, you need to setup 4 sections only)

Step 2 Wireless connection to Wireless Router (If you haven't done this yet)
    http://download.brother.com/welcome/doc100158/mfc4420dw_uke_qsg_leu298004.pdf

Check 6 Connect to your device and install software Method B

You need SSID (Network Name) and Network Key (Password)

As your PC has connected via WIFI, you do exactly the same thing for Brother wireless network connection.

Step 3 test the connection between Brother printer and a computer

Use one of your computers, run "ping 192.168.1.100" see the below
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ-Bq5LrLNo

If you would get "Reply from 192.168.1.100 : .... " messages, then congratulation. Your brother and this PC communicate each other within the same network.

(Hope you don't use a silly firewall software setup here.. as a wrong firewall setting would block the connection.. ) Unless you pass this test, no point do anything further !! We have to concentrate on the network setup.

Then Network setup part is completed. We will move to the next step, installing drivers etc.

Happy Happy computing !

P.S. I would send you PM later or you can send me PM as well
    Last edited by toshi; Today at 10:03 AM. Reason: minor correction and clarification
    • J B
    • By J B 12th Jan 18, 4:52 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    J B
    Happy Happy computing !

P.S. I would send you PM later or you can send me PM as well
    Very many thanks for this.
    The office is (of course) closed now for the weekend and I can't get there till Monday afternoon.
    If you want to post further instructions here or by PM, then I can get 'on the case' when I arrive ...

Cheers

• toshi
    • By toshi 14th Jan 18, 6:04 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    toshi
    Step 4 installing brother drivers

If you haven't install the brother software, you will start to install the installation CD, then you should be able to select a custom installation setting (or advance installation) then you should be able to input the NETWORK IP ADDRESS AS ABOVE, then carry on the installation

IP Address
    Subnet Mask
    Gateway

IF you cannot find the IP address input, just finish the standard installation. then we can change the setting see the below. (if you have done installation already, don't repeat again!!)

If you have already installed brother driver, (or you cannot find the advance setup) it is OK, we can change the setting.

This was mentioned by Tarambor

We will replace WSD Printer port with TCPIP PORT. We will creat a NEW TCP/IP port with 192.168.1.100. (See the below video.)
    https://youtu.be/pzH93ZidYao?t=1m30s

Then the Windows brother driver will communicate with the brother printer via 192.168.1.100.

Once You have done it, just test printer and scanner, if the test passed, do the same thing with another computer. (STEP 4)

This is the universal method, it will work any networked printer, (yes each printer needs a unique IP address, then another printer would be 192.168.1.101.)

Happy Happy computing !
    Last edited by toshi; 16-01-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: minor correction
    • J B
    • By J B 17th Jan 18, 10:04 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    J B
    Many thanks to Toshi especially for his help on here and by PM

The printer now connects just fine BUT (big but!!) to print a .doc from MS Word happens immediately but to print a .jpg from the default W10 picture app takes .... seven (yes seven) minutes ....
    When you press 'print' the printer immediately makes a noise as though something is happening, but then ... nothing
    It hangs there saying 'receiving data' then suddenly, out pops the photo!

The printer is newly installed today, and I ticked the box to say 'connect to the internet to get the latest software' so presumably the drivers are up to date ....
    It printed the 'windows test page' fine
    The error is the same on both printers.

Most confusing .... where to look now??
    • toshi
    • By toshi 17th Jan 18, 11:42 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    toshi
    Is this the case ? I have never ever come across this issue.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=hk&lang=en&prod=mfc885cw_all&faqid=f aq00000066_003

http://followmesupport.ringdale.com/Knowledgebase/50044/Slow-printing-when-LPR-Byte-Counting-Enabled-is-enabled-in-Windows-Standard-TCPIP-port

Slow printing when LPR Byte Counting Enabled is enabled in Windows Standard TCP/IP port

Issue
    Microsoft have identified an issue when "LPR Byte Counting Enabled" is checked in the Windows Standard TCP/IP port which can cause slow printing, or even behaviour which causes a print job to spool over and over again (possibly causing print ).

Resolution
    To resolve the issue simply un-check the "LPR Byte Counting Enabled" option in the TCP/IP port properties.

For more information on the issue please refer to the following Microsoft knowledge base article:
    • J B
    • By J B 18th Jan 18, 8:17 AM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    J B
    Many thanks (again)

Strangely, the brother link says "this post has been removed" ......

Will try to pop over and visit them (again) soon ...

• toshi
    • By toshi 18th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    toshi
    Strangely, the brother link says "this post has been removed" ......
    Originally posted by J B
    Oh dear, tt seems that we don't get the actual URL.. You will get the link with the top results.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=brother+i%27m+using+windows%C2%AE+and+the+print +speed+is+too+slow.+what+can+i+do%3F&t=ffab&ia=web

Will try to pop over and visit them (again) soon ...
    Originally posted by J B
    Let the users do this! by themselves. Let me know the progress.

(Hopefully) Happy computing !
    • J B
    • By J B 18th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 2,472 Posts
    • 814 Thanks
    J B
    Oh dear, tt seems that we don't get the actual URL.. You will get the link with the top results.
    https://duckduckgo.com/?q=brother+i%27m+using+windows%C2%AE+and+the+print +speed+is+too+slow.+what+can+i+do%3F&t=ffab&ia=web
    I read in the instruction book about turning off 'colour enhancement' but that made no difference.
    Will look into the other options ...

Let the users do this! by themselves.
    Hmmm .......... They make wooden sheds for poultry and horses ... computing is not their forte ... best if I go really and I sort of feel obliged to 'take this through to conclusion' ............
    • toshi
    • By toshi 18th Jan 18, 1:45 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    toshi
    I read in the instruction book about turning off 'colour enhancement' but that made no difference.
    Will look into the other options ...
    Originally posted by J B
    No no, other part "Adjusting the LPR Byte Counting"
    It seems that this is the real issue, (see my previous post.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,403Posts Today

8,384Users online

Martin's Twitter