Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 10th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    • 858Posts
    • 113Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Anyone know the process of what happens with the car after part exchange?
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:03 PM
    Anyone know the process of what happens with the car after part exchange? 10th Jan 18 at 6:03 PM
    Obviously every car dealership is different, but I'm just curious.

Long story short, two weeks ago I part exchanged my six year old Corsa at my local Audi dealership when buying a six month old A3.

When part changing the Corsa, I completely forgot I had my AA car genie plugged into the diagnostics socket. It's not something I'll miss as I left the AA a few months ago anyway, my new car also came with breakdown cover as part of the deal. But I was curious as to where my old car ended up, and to my surprise there's a big log of short journeys on the car. Such as being moved around the Audi Forecourt and then all of a sudden the car appeared in Luton.

But I'm puzzled as to why two weeks later, moved onto another car dealership's lot, and moved around a number of times since, why the diagnostics of the car haven't been checked? I know it's my old car and isn't really my concern anymore, but this suggests to me that car dealerships aren't testing car diagnostics and so to a consumer, do we really know what we're getting? I mean the car does drive, but I've had numerous faults with it in the past that have failed to show symptoms, one example was when I had a corroded coil pack. The car still started and drove fine. But I honestly did have quite a few issues with the car throughout my time with it, which makes me wonder if the dealership I bought it from even bothered to check the car. And even though my new Audi is only a few months old, how do I know that's even been checked?

So what usually is the process of selling/partexing a car? Because to me it seems like Audi sold it onto a company, now they'll try sell it onto a customer? I just don't know. But I'm quite curious
Page 2
    • arcon5
    • By arcon5 11th Jan 18, 7:30 PM
    • 13,282 Posts
    • 8,414 Thanks
    arcon5
    Ok let's not get all melodramatic now.

Police aren't gonna come knocking doors down. National papers arent gonna start a man hunt. No nuns have been injured in the process.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 11th Jan 18, 9:54 PM
    • 484 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    wgl2014
    He'd be breaching the Computer Misuse Act, for a start.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    And for a finish? Whilst accessing some irrelevant random data could possibly (with an extremely lax interpretation) fit the definition are you really suggesting these circumstances fit the offence?
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 12th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 858 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    He'd be breaching the Computer Misuse Act, for a start.
    The Computer Misuse Act is to do with hacking unauthorised devices in a way to damage systems or steal information from it. I'm hardly causing any damage to the device nor the car.

Although the reason for this post is that it is concerning to me that this device is still in, simply because I could be somebody dodgy for all anybody knows. I handed my key in and the spare, but who's to say I didn't have a third? I very nearly did have a third when the mechanism broke on the original key last March, but I lost my job so I didn't bother getting a new key. If I had, I could have simply tracked the car and 'stole it' and keep regularly selling it on. These tracking devices are quite popular though, not just specifically the AA one either. And I know insurance companies offer them.

Surely checking for any kind of tracking device and removing it should be top priority. I've found my car on a website now, somewhere called Car Shop. Who promise a '114 point check' which obviously the diagnostic port for tracking devices isn't one of the checks.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Jan 18, 11:00 AM
    • 16,079 Posts
    • 14,363 Thanks
    AdrianC
    The Computer Misuse Act is to do with hacking unauthorised devices in a way to damage systems or steal information from it. I'm hardly causing any damage to the device nor the car.
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    But you ARE using a computer system to access data to which you are not entitled.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 12th Jan 18, 12:41 PM
    • 1,101 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    Surely checking for any kind of tracking device and removing it should be top priority. I've found my car on a website now, somewhere called Car Shop. Who promise a '114 point check' which obviously the diagnostic port for tracking devices isn't one of the checks.
    Originally posted by Jlawson118
    I imagine their 114 point check will be done when someone buys the car, not when the dealer first receives it. Some things that they check may need doing again if it sits for a few weeks, or if it doesn't sell and goes out to another trader, they won't do any of them because it will be sold as seen.
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 12th Jan 18, 1:46 PM
    • 5,395 Posts
    • 5,438 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    I imagine their 114 point check will be done when someone buys the car, not when the dealer first receives it. Some things that they check may need doing again if it sits for a few weeks, or if it doesn't sell and goes out to another trader, they won't do any of them because it will be sold as seen.
    Originally posted by droopsnoot

The chances are that the car was used as a runabout for a few days by the dealer, before going to a central location for disposal through trade outlets - auctions, or regular traders that have a relationship with each of the main dealer group.

A lot of these outlets will only do the 144 point check once a sale looks likely - the margins are not great, so if the car doesn't sell, it'll be punted off through another auction, and any time spent on the checks will have been wasted.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
    • rudekid48
    • By rudekid48 12th Jan 18, 4:55 PM
    • 2,039 Posts
    • 3,523 Thanks
    rudekid48
    Have you notified the AA that you no longer own the vehicle? If so, then the AA are in breach of the DPA for not deactivating the device (or the SIM to be precise). If you have not notified the AA then I'd check what the potential consequences of that are on your contract.

This could get very messy for someone if the new owner discovered that they were being tracked...
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 12th Jan 18, 8:56 PM
    • 858 Posts
    • 113 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Have you notified the AA that you no longer own the vehicle? If so, then the AA are in breach of the DPA for not deactivating the device (or the SIM to be precise). If you have not notified the AA then I'd check what the potential consequences of that are on your contract.

This could get very messy for someone if the new owner discovered that they were being tracked...
    Originally posted by rudekid48
    Nope I haven't contacted the AA. I terminated my breakdown cover with them in November and alerted them of this around September/October as I'd filed a complaint with them. They then did cancel my membership as planned. I assumed they'd cancelled the car genie too until I went onto it the other day. Otherwise I haven't even used the Genie since I cancelled my membership.

I'll contact them tomorrow
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Jan 18, 8:50 PM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Used cars can end up being shifted to anywhere in the country depending what dealer has bought it for their target market etc.

For example my current car was originally registered and purchased new at a main dealer in Nottingham. Then a few years later it suddenly had a new owner in the North East. Then a few years later I buy it from a local trader who had bought it from that person locally.

All this from just looking through all the old service docs and invoices etc.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Jan 18, 8:58 PM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    LeeUK
    And offence for checking an AA Genie on your old car? Some folk are so melodramatic. As if anyone cares. The OP is not using the data for sinister purposes.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 13th Jan 18, 9:06 PM
    • 12,330 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    jimjames
    But you ARE using a computer system to access data to which you are not entitled.
    It's their account, someone else is loading data to. Their own login and password. I can't see any offence when you've not hacked anything and have used your own details to log in
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 17th Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 5,715 Posts
    • 2,627 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Where is the car now?
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 17th Jan 18, 11:18 AM
    • 7,892 Posts
    • 8,485 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    On its way to Mars ?

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,493Posts Today

10,176Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin