Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MoneysavingmadGem
    • By MoneysavingmadGem 10th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 128Thanks
    MoneysavingmadGem
    Crafty birthday presents
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    Crafty birthday presents 10th Jan 18 at 5:23 PM
    Hi

Iv got a couple families birthdays coming up and im trying to think of a frugal/money saving/ crafty gifts for them.
    I have already scoured the charity shops and not found anything so now going down the craft route.

Possibly thinking a personalised candle or looking into making note books or crocheting stress balls.

Any ideas gratefully received
    Crazy clothes 2018 #8 - £120, handmade or cs
    Pay all debt off xmas 2018 #066. ( £9900)
    2018 frugal living #34 (£2500)
    1% a day #36 (9000)
Page 1
    • CapricornLass
    • By CapricornLass 10th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    CapricornLass
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:16 PM
    Hi, Moneysaving, how about making something edible? Proper homemade lemon curd, or seville orange marmalade always went down well with my mum, especially as she hasn't the physical stamina now to stand at the stove and stir it. A pretty jar with a lid, a circle of gingham over the top and tied with a ribbon to set it off. And although its not the right season for making it at present, I made piccallili to give as presents for Christmas.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 265.
    • MrsLurcherwalker
    • By MrsLurcherwalker 10th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 11,143 Posts
    • 155,236 Thanks
    MrsLurcherwalker
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    Depending on the person you're giving the present to my daughters both say one of the best things I've ever given them was hand written recipe books with all their favourite recipes that I make at home written in them. It's a simple idea and I only used 'sale' notebooks but they still use them many years on and often say 'Ma I made your Bolognese sauce etc. today) when we chat.
    Go forward with the vision even if no one else can see it!

No amount of regretting can change the past, and no amount of worrying can change the future!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 11th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 18,668 Posts
    • 49,056 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 9:04 AM
    Hi, Moneysaving, how about making something edible? Proper homemade lemon curd, or seville orange marmalade always went down well with my mum, especially as she hasn't the physical stamina now to stand at the stove and stir it. A pretty jar with a lid, a circle of gingham over the top and tied with a ribbon to set it off. And although its not the right season for making it at present, I made piccallili to give as presents for Christmas.
    Originally posted by CapricornLass
    Fudge?
    Brownies?
    Biscuits - maybe shortbread?

You could look in charity shops for nice tins to put them in.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 11th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 1,995 Posts
    • 6,843 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:22 AM
    If you have a sewing machine you could easily run up some fabric shopping bags, using charity shop fabric, cutting up clothes, bedding, curtains etc. Gooooglie Mors bags

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • JennyP
    • By JennyP 11th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 721 Posts
    • 361 Thanks
    JennyP
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:29 AM
    One of my friends made cake and biscuit kits and hot chocolate kits one year. I loved both.

She bought kilner-style jars from IKEA. The cake ones had all the dry cake ingredients for chocolate chip brownies - you just added the butter and eggs. She wrote recipe on a lovely label and tied it with a ribbon round the jar. The hot choc one had hot chocolate powder, chocolate chips and mini marshmallows in a jar. Tied again with a ribbon.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 11th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 2,697 Posts
    • 28,571 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    How about pots with some spring bulbs in? You'd get quite a few presents out of a bag of compost and a pack of bulbs.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 11th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 3,277 Posts
    • 7,338 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:46 PM
    My mother would always plant bulbs to give as Mothering Sunday gifts: 4 when I was a child - her mother, her mother-in-law, her grandmother-in-law, and the mother of her heart (whose daughter, my mum's best friend had become a GI bride). Actually, 5 or 6, hoping spares would not be needed and they could stay with us!
    Those inexpensive presents spoke of love and promise to me, I loved looking to see when they came up and carrying them to their recipients.
    • MoneysavingmadGem
    • By MoneysavingmadGem 12th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 128 Thanks
    MoneysavingmadGem
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 12th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    Thank you folks some fab fab ideas!

Definitely going to try some of these
    Crazy clothes 2018 #8 - £120, handmade or cs
    Pay all debt off xmas 2018 #066. ( £9900)
    2018 frugal living #34 (£2500)
    1% a day #36 (9000)
    • Lynplatinum
    • By Lynplatinum 14th Jan 18, 10:57 PM
    • 897 Posts
    • 17,743 Thanks
    Lynplatinum
    Hiya

If you are feeling wealthy you could treat them to an entry to a Garden via Groupon or a Spa day or such.

If not, then I too would go down the edible/disposable route. There are some things like bath bombs or lavender sachets you could make up (in my last home I had two fantastic lavender bushes which I used to harvest but you can buy lavender on line.)

The other thing I give is vouchers for my time such as:
    1) A home cooked 3 course meal for them and a guest
    2) An hour of ironing a week for a month
    3) ditto gardening
    4) Afternoon tea out
    5) a lift to a beautiful place with a picnic provided by me

it depends on what the folk dont have in their life or have too much of - so: I did the 5) for one person who did not have a car but did have mobility issues but I also did 5) for someone who spent all her time in her car ferry various members of her family about!!

Love the idea of planted bulbs btw - great!
    Nite all
    Aim for Sept 17: 20/30 days to be NSDs NSDs July 23/31 (aim 22)
    NSDs 2015:185/330 (allowing for hols etc)
    LBM: started Jan 2012 - still learning!
    Life gives us only lessons and gifts - learn the lesson and it becomes a gift.' from the Bohdavista
    • Gem-gem
    • By Gem-gem 14th Jan 18, 11:25 PM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 7,230 Thanks
    Gem-gem
    My mum made has me a coin purse and I love it. She sewed a wooden heart button on it.
    She has also made me a bookmark, 1/2 apron with pockets in to carry Secateurs/pegs or dusting cloth in, dust bags for my couple of handbags, knitted hats, knitted scarfs and a pin cushion. I will treasure all these things. They are worth more than any expensive gift.
    I give people piccalilli, jam and fruit chutney as presents. I made my brother-in-law his favourite type of cake.
    My in-laws make me pickled onions and pickled cabbage.
    I know that if isn’t crafty, but one year my mum bought me a blueberry bush for my birthday. I have just finished last summers crop. This year I bought my friend a £6.50 black currant bush for her birthday to go in her allotment. Much better than a bunch of flowers that would be dead in a week.
    Last edited by Gem-gem; 14-01-2018 at 11:30 PM.
    £2 Savers Club 2018 no 1 - to fill up the pot
    Save £12k in 2018 - £660/£6,000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,764Posts Today

9,002Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• This is perhaps the most ridiculous tool I've seen online, it values your name based on what a sample of 500,000 ea? https://t.co/39sRBJrLt3

• RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• Follow Martin