Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • linky
    • By linky 10th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 12Posts
    • 2Thanks
    linky
    Disgraceful First Bus! Late bus caused docked wages!
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    Disgraceful First Bus! Late bus caused docked wages! 10th Jan 18 at 5:06 PM
    My daughter was working, minimum wage, for a well known high street store for a Christmas job. She went out in good time to get her usual bus but it didn't come and it resulted in her being 15 mins late, her wages were reduced to reflect it.
    She wrote to First Bus to complain and asked if they would compensate her, a few free bus tickets or something. Letter from them this morning says they don't give compensation when a service fails to operate as scheduled, they have offered apologies!

We know the bus service here is bad, they come at all times, not as scheduled but as they come every 15mins it's not a problem, however on this occasion no bus came for 30-45, so she was late.

Anyone else had compensation?
Page 1
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 10th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:23 PM
    They will usually refund the cost of the journey.
    • photome
    • By photome 10th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 8,390 Thanks
    photome
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:43 PM
    They will usually refund the cost of the journey.
    Originally posted by Diamandis
    Why would they do that if the bus got her from A to B.
    • linky
    • By linky 10th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    linky
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:25 PM
    Nope they have refused any compensation, yeah she did get there but she lost out when she got her wages
    • Diamandis
    • By Diamandis 11th Jan 18, 8:01 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    Diamandis
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:01 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:01 AM
    Why would they do that if the bus got her from A to B.
    Originally posted by photome
    I know here they have a pomise if it's more than 20 minutes late they give you one day of free travel but think it depends on the area you live in whst rules they use for stuff like this. Ask them why?
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 11th Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Tom99
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 8:25 AM
    How much were her wages docked? Is it worth perusing a complaint for £2?
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 1,846 Posts
    • 1,671 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:29 PM
    My daughter was working, minimum wage, for a well known high street store for a Christmas job. She went out in good time to get her usual bus but it didn't come and it resulted in her being 15 mins late, her wages were reduced to reflect it.
    She wrote to First Bus to complain and asked if they would compensate her, a few free bus tickets or something. Letter from them this morning says they don't give compensation when a service fails to operate as scheduled, they have offered apologies!

We know the bus service here is bad, they come at all times, not as scheduled but as they come every 15mins it's not a problem, however on this occasion no bus came for 30-45, so she was late.

Anyone else had compensation?
    Originally posted by linky
    It's your daughter obligation to get to work on time. No-one elses.

You know the service is bad.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 11th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 7,480 Posts
    • 4,943 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:39 PM
    The bus company can't help the state of the traffic and/or roadworks. Especially at xmas.
    • photome
    • By photome 11th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 8,390 Thanks
    photome
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 4:48 PM
    I know here they have a pomise if it's more than 20 minutes late they give you one day of free travel but think it depends on the area you live in whst rules they use for stuff like this. Ask them why?
    Originally posted by Diamandis
    which bus company promises that?
    • macman
    • By macman 13th Jan 18, 6:47 PM
    • 41,565 Posts
    • 17,123 Thanks
    macman
    I missed a bus and as a result failed to buy a winning lottery ticket. How do I claim my million quid?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • linky
    • By linky 13th Jan 18, 8:55 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    linky
    Yeah, I know it's her responsibility to get there and every other day she did by using the same bus, she was at the bus stop with a little old lady who was going to be late for her hair appointment and who was going to go into the store my daughter was working to tell her manager about the bus being late ��
    £2 is quite a lot to loose when on the minimum wage! She thought it was the least they could do to give her a free ticket? We are in South Lanarkshire, can't see any info 're the 20 min rule?
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 14th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    inglorius
    Did her dog eat her homework too on the same bus
    • pramsay13
    • By pramsay13 14th Jan 18, 9:23 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 740 Thanks
    pramsay13
    Which company docks someone pay for being 15 minutes late?
    I hope she stops work on the exact second her shift finishes.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 15th Jan 18, 3:02 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Tom99
    Which company docks someone pay for being 15 minutes late?
    I hope she stops work on the exact second her shift finishes.
    Originally posted by pramsay13
    Yes I agree the employer is more to blame for being so mean, but for £2 it is really not worth persuing.
    • inglorius
    • By inglorius 15th Jan 18, 8:47 AM
    • 158 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    inglorius
    I'm curious why the OP deemed it important enough to start 2 identical threads on the same subject within 3 days of each other.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 15th Jan 18, 10:51 PM
    • 11,829 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Use Google to find the contact details for the Traffic Commissioner covering your area. Traffic Commissioners have the power to withdraw the license that enables a bus company to operate, so a complaint to them may have some impact.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 16th Jan 18, 12:18 AM
    • 19,148 Posts
    • 10,315 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Traffic Commissioners have the power to withdraw the license that enables a bus company to operate, so a complaint to them may have some impact.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Are you seriously suggesting a complaint to the local Traffic Commissioner over the failure of one bus to run on time?

The complaint will cost more in postage than the daughter had docked from her pay...
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 16th Jan 18, 12:54 AM
    • 18,655 Posts
    • 15,557 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Are you seriously suggesting a complaint to the local Traffic Commissioner over the failure of one bus to run on time?

The complaint will cost more in postage than the daughter had docked from her pay...
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Where do you buy your stamps from?

You need to shop around.
    • Tom99
    • By Tom99 16th Jan 18, 1:01 AM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Tom99
    Use Google to find the contact details for the Traffic Commissioner covering your area. Traffic Commissioners have the power to withdraw the license that enables a bus company to operate, so a complaint to them may have some impact.
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    And to your MP as well a course, don't forget them.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 16th Jan 18, 9:29 AM
    • 11,829 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    And to your MP as well a course, don't forget them.
    Originally posted by Tom99
    I had not forgotten the MP but her/his powers over this kind of thing are very limited.

FWIW I did once complain to the traffic commissioners... after the failure of an airport bus service meant that I would have missed a business trip (except that in the event the 'plane was delayed) and the bus company brushed off my complaint; and I did eventually receive a satisfactory resolution.

As the OP demonstrates, failures by bus providers can have serious consequences for their passengers. It is unfortunate that most people seem to accept sloppy and unreliable service from buses in a way that they would not accept from companies supplying electricity; insurance or rail travel -- perhaps this is because most influential people tend not to use buses and think that it does not matter what happens to the sort of people who do rely on buses.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

2,442Users online

Martin's Twitter