Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search

Results: Evict the frog?

Evict him

8.60% • 8 votes

Leave him alone

91.40% • 85 votes

You may not vote on this poll

93 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • stator
    • By stator 10th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    • 5,954Posts
    • 3,918Thanks
    stator
    Frog in my garden. Evict or not?
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:58 PM
    Frog in my garden. Evict or not? 10th Jan 18 at 4:58 PM
    I have a frog in my garden.
    The thing is, he can't get out, so I'm not sure whether to leave him be or catch and release him into the woodland a few hundred yards from the end of my garden.

My garden is fully enclosed with 2m high walls and fencing. There's no way he can get out.
    My garden is pretty large, 12m long, 8m wide, but it's mostly unmown grass, a few other plants. No pond, so he can't breed.
    I guess he must be eating slugs or woodlouse and/or ants, these are the only food for him in my garden AFAIK.

What do you think?

Catch and release or leave alone?
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
Page 1
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 10th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    • 28,776 Posts
    • 73,442 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:07 PM
    I have a frog in my garden.
    The thing is, he can't get out
    Originally posted by stator
    How did he get in?
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 10th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 61,305 Posts
    • 358,913 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:08 PM
    Leave him. He got in there somehow .... if you turf him out he'll be lost and alone and vulnerable.... just watch him, speak to the RSPCA if you can ... and see what happens.
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 10th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 14,624 Posts
    • 40,094 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:15 PM
    Nope.

Leave him/her/whatever sex they are alone. It's only a small garden and just "leave them be" to lead their Life in peace imo. If he/she/it wants to get to the woodland they'll probably manage it on their own.

In your position - I'd probably look up their favourite foods and lay a little trail leading to said woodland and then think "It's up to her/him/whatever as to whether they follow it and get to the woodland or no".
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 10-01-2018 at 5:19 PM.
    New Year's Resolution already made -

Don't get mad....get firm ...
    • k3lvc
    • By k3lvc 10th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    • 1,991 Posts
    • 3,194 Thanks
    k3lvc
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:22 PM
    I expected this to be about one of those Slough residents that has Poles/Bulgarians etc living in their gardens
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 10th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 1,849 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:25 PM
    I'd leave him alone. If you're worried, could you make an escape route for him, in case he decides he'd like to move on? You could poke a small hole in a fence or something.

These suggestions are for hedgehogs so should work: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/
    • stator
    • By stator 10th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 5,954 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    stator
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:48 PM
    I didn't make it clear in the original post, I'm worried there isn't enough food and maybe not enough cover/hiding places etc.He may have eaten all the crickets or grasshoppers and now be short on food. I do have a large compost heap for shelter, not sure if he'd use it though, it's not a normal one with leaves.

I expected this to be about one of those Slough residents that has Poles/Bulgarians etc living in their gardens
    Originally posted by k3lvc
    If it was a Frenchman I'd definitely be evicting him
    Last edited by stator; 10-01-2018 at 5:55 PM.
    • stator
    • By stator 10th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 5,954 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    stator
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    I'd leave him alone. If you're worried, could you make an escape route for him, in case he decides he'd like to move on? You could poke a small hole in a fence or something.

These suggestions are for hedgehogs so should work: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/
    Originally posted by rach_k
    I have rabbits, so there's no way I can make a way in/out for him.
    The whole point of the garden is that it's secure. Even cats find it very hard to get in.
    • Tea Pea Dee
    • By Tea Pea Dee 10th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 3,818 Posts
    • 636,382 Thanks
    Tea Pea Dee
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:20 PM
    I didn't make it clear in the original post, I'm worried there isn't enough food and maybe not enough cover/hiding places etc.He may have eaten all the crickets or grasshoppers and now be short on food. I do have a large compost heap for shelter, not sure if he'd use it though, it's not a normal one with leave.
    Originally posted by stator
    Froggy will not go hungry. It can eat worms, slugs, insects and even small rabbits

As Mojisola pointed out, if it got in, it will be able to get out. Let's all hope it doesn't croak it

Respect for ourselves guides our morals, respect for others guides our manners~Laurence Sterne
    All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others~George Orwell
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 10th Jan 18, 6:34 PM
    • 2,130 Posts
    • 2,829 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    How did he get in?
    Originally posted by Mojisola
    I bought a couple of large plants from a local garden centre earlier this year.

When I got home and opened the car boot I found a large frog hopping about in there !

Luckily, a neighbour with a pond was happy to adopt him (her).
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 10th Jan 18, 6:49 PM
    • 18,557 Posts
    • 201,767 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    Are you sure it is a frog rather than a toad?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Jan 18, 7:40 PM
    • 36,397 Posts
    • 153,869 Thanks
    silvercar
    Check for frogspawn, you could be overrun before you know it.
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 10th Jan 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,354 Posts
    • 15,484 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    Foggies eat slugs, you do often get them without having a pond. He'll probably be fine and find his own way out, if he wants to leave
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 10th Jan 18, 7:50 PM
    • 3,257 Posts
    • 5,122 Thanks
    another casualty
    Sems like it should be left alone , but tbh I donít really know.
    I just hope itís ok and can avoid predators like cats and foxes.
    • stator
    • By stator 10th Jan 18, 9:21 PM
    • 5,954 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    stator
    Are you sure it is a frog rather than a toad?
    Originally posted by Enterprise 1701C
    Nope. Probably a toad. It is dark and flabby.

There shouldn't be any predators in my garden. Cats have learnt to stay out of my garden or they get sprayed with water. The fencing is designed to keep cats out and it makes it hard for them to escape if they do get in.
    I've never seen any foxes but they could visit at night, I doubt they'd go to the effort of getting in to my garden for a single frog/toad.

As to the fact that he got in, doesn't mean he can get out. My neighbours don't keep stuff clear of the fencing, so it would be easier for something to climb over the walls/fences inwards than it would outwards.

It's possible he's been here longer than I have, but I've only seen him for the first time 2 weeks ago and saw him again today. So he must have been hiding for 2 years or he is new.
    • moneyuser
    • By moneyuser 10th Jan 18, 10:27 PM
    • 1,050 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    moneyuser
    The frog will climb a corner of the wall if it wants to get out.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jan 18, 2:23 AM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,203 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I'm going against the grain here and saying release the frog in the woodland. It'll be a less safe environment, but the animal will be able to answer 'the call,' which comes in the next week or two, or a bit later if it's a toad.

Last edited by Davesnave; 11-01-2018 at 8:12 AM.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 11th Jan 18, 2:29 AM
    • 23,991 Posts
    • 90,203 Thanks
    Davesnave
    I bought a couple of large plants from a local garden centre earlier this year.

When I got home and opened the car boot I found a large frog hopping about in there !

Luckily, a neighbour with a pond was happy to adopt him (her).
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    In the days when we sold plants for a living, we had a Frog N'Toad tin permanently sited in our van.

It was mostly toads, which would burrow down into a pot and stay there until we arrived and set up the stall in some inconvenient place, like a village hall or market.

We'd stick them in the box and return them to the garden at day's end.
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 11th Jan 18, 7:49 AM
    • 556 Posts
    • 1,346 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    Ask on RU Stator. Bet someone nearby would take him if you're worried.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 11th Jan 18, 8:05 AM
    • 4,835 Posts
    • 21,439 Thanks
    Slinky
    I was delivering something to houses one spring day, a house had their front door half open, I rang the doorbell and pointed out to the homeowner he had a frog/toad making its way down his hall. It was heading for a lake behind the house but had gone a slightly different route to normal!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

441Posts Today

5,646Users online

Martin's Twitter