Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 10th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 3,822Posts
    • 6,683Thanks
    avogadro
    EBay - S.N.A.D. ?
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    EBay - S.N.A.D. ? 10th Jan 18 at 4:49 PM
    Hallo, would appreciate some advice.

Seller lists an item, stating item location: Glasgow, estimated delivery date: Friday 12th January

Buyer buys the item only to find that the item is actually in China and the estimated delivery date is 29th January!

Buyer tries within minutes to cancel the purchase (item is needed quickly) but seller refuses, saying it's 'been posted'

What would be the best thing to do here? EBay live chat suggested only that buyer tries to claim money back thru paypal.
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 10th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 15,464 Posts
    • 21,149 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:32 PM
    Do the advert said 12th Jan, but one you paid it changed to 29th Jan?

I would phone eBay and point out the discrepancy.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • bxboards
    • By bxboards 10th Jan 18, 5:54 PM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 1,052 Thanks
    bxboards
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:54 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:54 PM
    If a seller has lied about the location, if you try to Return it, and the seller has lied about the location, Ebay will refund you without requiring a Return to China.

However you cannot claim Not as Described due to the postage timeframe - that is mis-using the protection process as IMHO is just as bad a seller's lying about their location.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 10th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 3,822 Posts
    • 6,683 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 6:33 PM
    If a seller has lied about the location, if you try to Return it, and the seller has lied about the location, Ebay will refund you without requiring a Return to China.

However you cannot claim Not as Described due to the postage timeframe - that is mis-using the protection process as IMHO is just as bad a seller's lying about their location.
    Originally posted by bxboards
    Presumably the item (if/when it arrives) will be ok, so not a case of item not as described, more: service not as described.

The advert stated: est.delivery by 12th, but once payment had gone thru it changed to 29th.

The discrepancy was pointed out to EBay via live chat, but they could only suggest pursuing the matter thru PayPal, which doesn't sound right to me.
    • theonlywayisup
    • By theonlywayisup 10th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 11,705 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    theonlywayisup
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 8:28 PM
    Presumably the item (if/when it arrives) will be ok, so not a case of item not as described, more: service not as described.

The advert stated: est.delivery by 12th, but once payment had gone thru it changed to 29th.

The discrepancy was pointed out to EBay via live chat, but they could only suggest pursuing the matter thru PayPal, which doesn't sound right to me.
    Originally posted by avogadro
    Are you sure your order changed and not just the date on the listing now.

Go to your purchase history and look at the estimated delivery date on there. That is the one you need to go by.
    • avogadro
    • By avogadro 11th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 3,822 Posts
    • 6,683 Thanks
    avogadro
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 10:52 AM
    Are you sure your order changed and not just the date on the listing now.

Go to your purchase history and look at the estimated delivery date on there. That is the one you need to go by.
    Originally posted by theonlywayisup
    The point I'm trying to make is that the estimated delivery date is very different in the product listing to the date given once the item was bought.....

Almost like a 'bait and switch' scenario.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 59,738 Posts
    • 42,408 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:31 AM
    The point I'm trying to make is that the estimated delivery date is very different in the product listing to the date given once the item was bought.....

Almost like a 'bait and switch' scenario.
    Originally posted by avogadro
    That shouldn't be possible. I have seen it but only where the 'fast' delivery estimate was a different service than the one chosen- you get that a lot. However, on the payment page it shows the list of services and EDD and once the postage option is chosen that shouldn't be possible to change at all.

If you believe that ebay have a glitch that allowed a seller to make a change, then phone ebay and insist they allow an INR claim to be opened on the original date that your delivery was estimated.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 11th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 1,840 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:43 AM
    It's either an eBay glitch or user error.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 11th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 59,738 Posts
    • 42,408 Thanks
    soolin
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:09 PM
    It's either an eBay glitch or user error.
    Originally posted by ballisticbrian
    It did strike me that if a seller could change the EDD after purchase the seller boards would have been full of it- how to avoid 'late defects' in one easy go!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

190Posts Today

1,747Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• Follow Martin