Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Itsryanjc
    • By Itsryanjc 10th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Itsryanjc
    0 WOW
    Spanish Medical Bill - Help please!
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:43 PM
    0 WOW
    Spanish Medical Bill - Help please! 10th Jan 18 at 4:43 PM
    Hey guys,

I just need a little advice. I recently visited Spain in November and had to visit A&E - nothing physically wrong I was worried I caught an Infection. The guy in A&E told me to come back tomorrow and handed me a prescription, so I did. When I handed in my prescription they asked me for my EH11 euro card, I didnít have it on me (stupidly) and the guy said itís okay and handed my the prescription... and that was it.

Today I received a letter billing me for Ä300 for the A&E. Iím shocked because they didnít say there would be any charge and I didnít have anything happen to me at all... he simply told me to come back tomorrow and provided me with two tablets so I could start the course of meds that day.

Iím just worried because Iím young and I canít afford Ä300. What will happen if I donít pay? Can I visit Spain again? I know itís a little off topic but I just need some help

Thanks guys.
Page 2
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 11th Jan 18, 1:02 PM
    • 813 Posts
    • 1,253 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    As you didn't have an EHIC card, you would be billed as a private patient and although you may only have seen the doctor/consultant for a few minutes, there is probably a fixed charge for this.
    You say that you were given a prescription. Did you pay for the medication when you collected it? If not, this would also be a private prescription which might be included in the bill you have received and some medication can be extremely expensive when not subsidised by the local health service.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 11th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    There is no straightforward or painless (no pun intended) way out of this predicament unfortunately.

Can you beg, borrow or steal (not literally) the Euro 300 from family and friends and pay the bill in full soonest ?

Spain is part of the EU, so any unsettled legal action, should it reach that level, may well be an impediment to your entry to other member states in future.

The debt is unlikely to go away, so ignoring it in hope is not a solution.

I know this is not what you wish to hear, however settling the debt is the best way forward IMO.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 11th Jan 18, 6:48 PM
    • 11,829 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    Voyager2002

Spain is part of the EU, so any unsettled legal action, should it reach that level, may well be an impediment to your entry to other member states in future.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Britain is also part of the EU, but British immigration officers would neither know nor care whether anyone arriving had an unsettled CCJ.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th Jan 18, 6:56 PM
    • 2,259 Posts
    • 2,851 Thanks
    unforeseen
    British immigration wouldn't be checking passports for outgoing people, however border forces on the continent check if you are coming from a non Schengen country. There may well be flag on their system that a person is a person of interest due to an outstanding debt in their country that has gone legal.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 12th Jan 18, 11:45 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Britain is also part of the EU, but British immigration officers would neither know nor care whether anyone arriving had an unsettled CCJ.
    Entering the UK is not the issue.
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Jan 18, 11:52 AM
    • 11,829 Posts
    • 8,011 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    British immigration wouldn't be checking passports for outgoing people, however border forces on the continent check if you are coming from a non Schengen country. There may well be flag on their system that a person is a person of interest due to an outstanding debt in their country that has gone legal.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Highly unlikely, unless it has somehow become a criminal matter.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 12th Jan 18, 5:50 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    I'm not clued up on Spanish Law in detail - but I suspect the unpaid debt could possibly escalate to a criminal case, especially if they have the young man's name and address.

Defaulting will not only jeopardise future travel to Spain, including the Balearic Islands but (presumably) the Canaries as well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,856Posts Today

8,746Users online

Martin's Twitter