Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 10th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    • 8,102Posts
    • 13,708Thanks
    andrewf75
    pension projections
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:24 PM
    pension projections 10th Jan 18 at 4:24 PM
    Iím in my early 40s with a pension pot of around 100k. Just been looking at my statements and a few years back the projected income it would give me at retirement was around 9k, but this has fallen every year to about 6k this time round despite the same contributions being made! Presumably this just relates to changes in how the projections are made?
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 10th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 8,857 Posts
    • 8,886 Thanks
    Linton
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:44 PM
    Yes, the standards governing pension projections have been increasingly pessimistic over time. I have projections from the 1980s/1990s showing 8% annual return as the low value. Arguably the current ones are rather too pessimistic but who knows?

Another factor is that some projections are based on current prices and some on pure monetary amount. You need to check the details of whichever projection you are using.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,112Posts Today

8,372Users online

Martin's Twitter