Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ErolGirl
    • By ErolGirl 10th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 22Thanks
    ErolGirl
    Help please! Apparent underpayment of rent :(
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:54 PM
    Help please! Apparent underpayment of rent :( 10th Jan 18 at 3:54 PM
    Hi,

Can anyone give me some advice on my situation.

I have been renting a flat for just over 2 years, at £600 pm.

I have just left the apartment start of Jan and so my landlady has a £600 deposit and stupidly I forgot to cancel my DD so she has an extra months rent from me, so £1,200 in total.

She called at the weekend to say I have left the flat immaculately and she would return all the £1,200 back to me on Monday.

She has just called me now to say she has checked against my lease and I should have been paying £650 the whole time. I didn't realise this as over the phone we agreed £600 pm. She has only just realised herself and we have verbally spoken about my rent being £600 on various occasions over the past 2 years. I even have a letter from her last year saying she was planning to up my rent to £630 from £600.

So now she is saying she is giving me none of my £1,200 back. I have just bought a house, so this is a massive dent for me.
Page 2
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 11th Jan 18, 11:25 AM
    • 3,216 Posts
    • 7,649 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Then either

* hunt out the contract and check, or
    * ask to see the landlady's copy and check both the rent figure and your signiture (bearing in mind if your signiture is on a differenet page she could have altered the page with the rent figure), or
    * do nothing and write off the money, or
    * start court action, or
    * ask one of the wizards on the forum here to wave their magic wand and make the landlady change her mind
    Originally posted by G_M

When I sign a contract I initial each page, of the copy that I'm handing back, to avoid this problem.
    May not help the OP but could help someone else
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • G_M
    • By G_M 11th Jan 18, 12:46 PM
    • 42,761 Posts
    • 49,984 Thanks
    G_M
    When I sign a contract I initial each page, of the copy that I'm handing back, to avoid this problem.
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Indeed.

But more often than not, tenants don't think to do this, and landlords/agents don't suggest it!
    • Naf
    • By Naf 11th Jan 18, 6:18 PM
    • 2,987 Posts
    • 2,218 Thanks
    Naf
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    Also a potential good idea to make a deliberate "mistake" somewhere and initial the correction. This shows that if anything else has been changed without your initials then something is fishy.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    - Mark Twain
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon: no matter how good you are at chess, its just going to knock over the pieces and strut around like its victorious.
    • HampshireH
    • By HampshireH 11th Jan 18, 6:46 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    HampshireH
    Have you found your lease?

So your 'LL is giving £600 back as "goodwill" is does that mean she is withholding your deposit or the overpayment?

Find the lease pronto. Did you also look for the advert on the archives?
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 14th Jan 18, 8:34 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Socajam
    Make sure you receive the £600 back before taking any action.
    I think she realizes that the second £600 was illegal. As you moved out, she should have returned the money without any prompting from you.
    The deposit is something else.
    • RXT156
    • By RXT156 14th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    RXT156
    I am shocked that the landlord has given the overpaid rent back and called it 'good will'.....!! The cheek!!!!!

Hope you manage to get the rest of the money back
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,954Posts Today

8,382Users online

Martin's Twitter