Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • atinybrit
    • By atinybrit 10th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 4Thanks
    atinybrit
    Gas Leak and Boiler Repairs
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    Gas Leak and Boiler Repairs 10th Jan 18 at 2:35 PM
    Hi all,

Bit of a long story:
    I rent a two-bed top-floor flat through a local letting agent. We moved in March 2017.

In May 2017 we had our annual gas safety check and it revealed some major issues with the flue pipes in the loft above our flat. The entire estate is a new build and a large amount of the houses have had to have things refitted and secured.
    In short, our flue pipe had been leaking poisonous gas into the loft space every time we use the heating or hot water. The boiler got a shiny 'DO NOT USE' sticker and all details were passed to my letting agent to arrange repairs.
    My property manager decided the best person to fix said flues would be a mate of hers. She allowed him into my flat without permission and he left the carpets in a state with all the woodchip and dirt. I complained and nothing was done.
    My neighbours flues are also within our property, and they had their gas safety check about a week after our repairs were done. Gas safety engineer's words were 'what the fxxx is this?'. He wrote a report for me and passed it on to my property manager so that it would be redone, but she told me that her pal had done all the necessary bits and bobs, given a gas safety check and she was happy with it therefore would not escalate it. I mentioned it several times before she left the company. I have mentioned it to my new Property Manager who still brushes me off.
    Now last Saturday night, a leak appeared in my bedroom ceiling. The damp patch was maybe an inch or so in size. My partner climbed into the loft and spotted that the place where the flue had been 'repaired' was leaking water steadily and it has slowly seeped through the fibreglass to my ceiling.
    My property agents have been useless this week, and the only way I've been able to get the leak looked at is by piggy backing off my neighbours boiler check today. He has condemned our boiler as MORE gas is leaking into the loft space as well as the water. Property agents have admitted there's an issue but won't tell me when it will be fixed as they're looking to replace the entire system. We've been given two heaters. That's it.

In short my questions are:
    - How long can I be without hot water and heating?
    - Can I claim back the money I end up having to pay out to power the heaters?
    - What's the best way to formally complain about the guy who did the initial repairs?
    - How on earth do I get this resolved as quickly as possible!?

I apologise for the length of the post. But I'm so stuck and angry! Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks
Page 1
    • anselld
    • By anselld 10th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 5,488 Posts
    • 5,074 Thanks
    anselld
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:45 PM
    Originally posted by atinybrit
    A "reasonable" time. Not defined precisely and it takes longer to get plumber repairs at this time of year. You are not without heating. You can boil a kettle.

You can ask, but there is no entitlement. They are an acceptable alternative means of heating.

- What's the best way to formally complain about the guy who did the initial repairs?
    Get his gas safe registration number from the certificate he issued and complain to Gas Safe.

Report in writing to the Landlord and Agent.
    Do not let anyone in without seeing their Gas Safe registration.
    If there is further undue delay report to Environmental Health at the Council.

Get yourself a CO alarm.
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 10th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 11,305 Posts
    • 15,912 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:49 PM
    Hi all,

Bit of a long story:
    I rent a two-bed top-floor flat through a local letting agent. We moved in March 2017.

In May 2017 we had our annual gas safety check and it revealed some major issues with the flue pipes in the loft above our flat. The entire estate is a new build and a large amount of the houses have had to have things refitted and secured.
    In short, our flue pipe had been leaking poisonous gas into the loft space every time we use the heating or hot water. The boiler got a shiny 'DO NOT USE' sticker and all details were passed to my letting agent to arrange repairs.
    My property manager decided the best person to fix said flues would be a mate of hers. She allowed him into my flat without permission and he left the carpets in a state with all the woodchip and dirt. I complained and nothing was done.
    My neighbours flues are also within our property, and they had their gas safety check about a week after our repairs were done. Gas safety engineer's words were 'what the fxxx is this?'. He wrote a report for me and passed it on to my property manager so that it would be redone, but she told me that her pal had done all the necessary bits and bobs, given a gas safety check and she was happy with it therefore would not escalate it. I mentioned it several times before she left the company. I have mentioned it to my new Property Manager who still brushes me off.
    Now last Saturday night, a leak appeared in my bedroom ceiling. The damp patch was maybe an inch or so in size. My partner climbed into the loft and spotted that the place where the flue had been 'repaired' was leaking water steadily and it has slowly seeped through the fibreglass to my ceiling.
    My property agents have been useless this week, and the only way I've been able to get the leak looked at is by piggy backing off my neighbours boiler check today. He has condemned our boiler as MORE gas is leaking into the loft space as well as the water. Property agents have admitted there's an issue but won't tell me when it will be fixed as they're looking to replace the entire system. We've been given two heaters. That's it.

In short my questions are:

I apologise for the length of the post. But I'm so stuck and angry! Any advise will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Who is named on your tenancy agreement as the landlord? The letting agent? If not then you have NO contract with the letting agent. Your contract is with the landlord named on your tenancy agreement, that is the person responsible for repairing the boiler in the property.

Who is the property manager? Someone who works at the letting agency or someone who works for the management company of the whole building?

How have you reported these repairs to your landlord? In writing (i.e. ink, paper, stamp) to the address for the servicing of notices given in your tenancy agreement?

See G_M's Repairing Obligations: the law, common misconceptions, reporting/enforcing, retaliatory eviction & the new tenant protection (2015) for further information.
    Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result misery.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,947Users online

Martin's Twitter