Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sconeyj
    • By Sconeyj 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 45Thanks
    Sconeyj
    NatWest £125 switch incentive
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:56 PM
    NatWest £125 switch incentive 10th Jan 18 at 1:56 PM
    Just as I thought I'd exhausted every bank...up pops NatWest with a switch offer! £125 for switching, and no direct debits required. All you need to do is:
    • switch a non-NatWest account
    • deposit £1,500
    All before 16 March (although you need to apply for the account by 16 February).

Happy days!
Page 53
    • tg99
    • By tg99 7th Feb 18, 7:53 PM
    • 562 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    tg99
    My switch starts today. What I'm finding odd is not having had a letter from the donor account acknowledging the fact it's about to happen and nothing from Natwest about the starting switch, no letter, no e-mail, no text.

It got to the stage last night that I wondered if somehow my application to switch with all the details that I know I entered had somehow been ignored or missed the boat. Anyway I've traced the important e-mails confirming things, dated back in January when I applied.

Nevertheless a bit weird. Needless to say the reader, applied for on 31/1, hasn't arrived.
    Originally posted by schiff
    I didnít get an email or text from Natwest confirming things had started until Day 2 of the switch. My letter from the donor account arrived today (Day 5).
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 7th Feb 18, 8:12 PM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,585 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Well my experience of this has been far from smooth

Applied when the offer first was posted here and was accepted online for the select account with a decent sized overdraft.

Day after I applied I was asked to upload documents to their site which I did immediately. After this radio silence from NatWest.

I eventually raised a complaint only to be told the account hadn!!!8217;t been opened following their internal checks. Which to me begs the question why offer the account online (with a sizeable overdraft) only to decline it later and why did they not communicate that decision to me
    Originally posted by davethorp
    Because , yet again , they are suffering from the right hand-left hand syndrome!
    It's all or nothing. e-mails & letters in duplicate or triplicate or .... zero, zilch, nada.
    How did I ever manage to bank with them before??
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ...840MM (84p) + RK 7p= 91pence
    • fuzzgun19
    • By fuzzgun19 7th Feb 18, 8:42 PM
    • 6,984 Posts
    • 57,789 Thanks
    fuzzgun19
    Am I right in thinking you can open this account online but have to upload photo ID to get the account?

If yes, what happens if you dont have any photo ID?
    I Hate Jobsworths!!!
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 7th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Am I right in thinking you can open this account online but have to upload photo ID to get the account?

Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    Not necessarily. See (my) post #1037.

To be honest, NatWest don't have a clue what they're doing. You might have to provide photo ID, but you might not. Either way you won't know for certain. If you do get it confirmed that they definitely want to see ID, rather than just get a copy of your signature, then you can ask them what alternative ID they want and take it in to a branch.
    • bioboybill
    • By bioboybill 7th Feb 18, 8:56 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    bioboybill
    I have applied and been accepted. Received endless texts and emails and switch is supposed to complete tomorrow. I have received another request to upload ID to get account opened even though it's already open and I have logged in online. Now my wife has applied, been accepted and had 3 requests for ID through Digidocs. She uploaded ID, but as part of the process to access Digidocs they sent a code, but it came to my phone rather than hers! She checked and her account has been set up with her mobile number, so it doesn't say much for their security!
    • roxy28
    • By roxy28 7th Feb 18, 9:08 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    roxy28
    I have applied now and have been accepted, i am moving any money out of my switching account in readiness, but my account will not let me move out the last £1.04 of my balance?
    Will this have any effect on the switch as natwest will not be moving any money across (my choice).

I do not have any charges owing on my switching account, very strange.
    Last edited by roxy28; 07-02-2018 at 9:10 PM.
    • bioboybill
    • By bioboybill 7th Feb 18, 9:10 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    bioboybill
    I have applied now and have been accepted, i am moving any money out of my switching account in readiness, but my account will not let me move out the last £1.04 of my balance?
    Will this have any effect on the switch as natwest will not be moving any money across (my choice).
    Originally posted by roxy28
    I very much doubt it since they gave you that option. So long as you switch and pay £1500/in by March 16th.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 7th Feb 18, 9:33 PM
    • 1,902 Posts
    • 2,022 Thanks
    Kim_13

I do not have any charges owing on my switching account, very strange.
    Originally posted by roxy28
    Are you sure you've selected the full switch and not a partial one? Looking at the offer page, you would need a full one to get the £125 as they talk about moving everything across and closing the old account.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2018 #9 ~ £19.55/£180.00
    CCCC 2018 #1 ~ £20.75/£180.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • roxy28
    • By roxy28 7th Feb 18, 9:48 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    roxy28
    Are you sure you've selected the full switch and not a partial one? Looking at the offer page, you would need a full one to get the £125 as they talk about moving everything across and closing the old account.
    Originally posted by Kim_13
    Have i made a error then by doing a partial switch. if i have is there no way to correct this
    Last edited by roxy28; 07-02-2018 at 9:56 PM.
    • bioboybill
    • By bioboybill 7th Feb 18, 10:17 PM
    • 2,968 Posts
    • 1,337 Thanks
    bioboybill
    I went for a full switch, but they still gave you the option to move or settle any balance yourself. If you have direct debits or SOs and they've been moved I reckon you'll be ok.
    • roxy28
    • By roxy28 7th Feb 18, 10:36 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    roxy28
    I went for a full switch, but they still gave you the option to move or settle any balance yourself. If you have direct debits or SOs and they've been moved I reckon you'll be ok.
    Originally posted by bioboybill
    Yes thats the same as me but with choosing to move or settle the balance myself it may be classed as a partial switch according to a post just above by kim_13.

No dd or so and only had the application accepted this afternoon, and only £1+ left in the account.
    Last edited by roxy28; 07-02-2018 at 10:40 PM.
    • twiglet98
    • By twiglet98 7th Feb 18, 11:16 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 3,795 Thanks
    twiglet98

Originally posted by fuzzgun19
    See my post #1034

I don't have digital ID and made an appointment to take paper ID into a branch. No photo required and I provided my signature at the branch.
    • harz99
    • By harz99 7th Feb 18, 11:33 PM
    • 2,620 Posts
    • 2,542 Thanks
    harz99

Nevertheless a bit weird. Needless to say the reader, applied for on 31/1, hasn't arrived.
    Originally posted by schiff

Apply for another reader. Iirc, early on in this saga a few people had issues where they needed to order twice as the first request didn't take.
    • realaledrinker
    • By realaledrinker 8th Feb 18, 12:17 AM
    • 1,548 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    realaledrinker
    All the above and no one has yet to receive their £125! I can just imagine the fun and games to be had.

We had a comparatively uneventful process. My application & transfer went through smooth as silk (natch) with no need to upload docs.

When "my wife" applied, the application got so far then bombed out unexpectedly. "She" then re-applied and the same thing seemed to happen. "She" got requests to upload docs which was done and the account is now open and conditions fulfilled. Meanwhile one of the aborted applications is still requesting IDs upload ...
    Last edited by realaledrinker; 08-02-2018 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Can't spell
    Ethical moneysaver
    • tempus_fugit
    • By tempus_fugit 8th Feb 18, 12:58 AM
    • 390 Posts
    • 352 Thanks
    tempus_fugit
    Apply for another reader. Iirc, early on in this saga a few people had issues where they needed to order twice as the first request didn't take.
    Originally posted by harz99
    Hmm, mine haven't arrived either and they were requested on the 29th.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
    • Yorkshire Pud
    • By Yorkshire Pud 8th Feb 18, 9:05 AM
    • 830 Posts
    • 525 Thanks
    Yorkshire Pud
    Hmm, mine haven't arrived either and they were requested on the 29th.
    Originally posted by tempus_fugit
    My card reader took over two weeks to arrive, in fact I'd forgotten about it as I used my Nationwide card reader.

CS are very nice but the number of texts I have received about the account opening process is ridiculous. Now I'm getting reminders of a deadline to upload documents to digidocs or my application will expire.

Only I've been using my account for two weeks! Its open. Last text arrived 3.35am and woke me up emails also received and then I noticed the customer number is someone else's! hope this other customer isn't getting my messages and also gets informed about uploading their info in time.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Feb 18, 9:15 AM
    • 754 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I believe NatWest are diversifying into party planning and have purchased several breweries in anticipation of the launch of this new venture.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 4,261 Posts
    • 38,585 Thanks
    Katiehound
    I believe NatWest are diversifying into party planning and have purchased several breweries in anticipation of the launch of this new venture.
    Originally posted by ValiantSon
    I like it, I like it!!
    I'm not sure that they are qualified for a brewery - that requires a lot of forward planning, especially for a party ! They may or may not be able to check the identity docs! issue invitations by text or do other mundane things!
    Hopefully handing out the welcome gift will be achieved without hassle??
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ...840MM (84p) + RK 7p= 91pence
    • Shashy
    • By Shashy 8th Feb 18, 9:31 AM
    • 89 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    Shashy
    My switch went through today with no hassle.

I must say, this has been a really easy one in my experience - albeit I ignored most of the physical mail, and only paid attention to one or two of the emails :-)

Need to get my £1500 together now.
    • pmatt
    • By pmatt 8th Feb 18, 10:56 AM
    • 43 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    pmatt
    I'm finally up and running with NatWest. I got the usual stream of e-mails and dribs and drabs of information, but the stumbling block was getting access to the website and app.

It took four calls and a visit to the branch to finally get that sorted. I sat in the branch for over half an hour, most of which was the branch assistant sitting on hold to NatWest customer services. It took four people during that visit to resolve whatever the issue was.

I'm planning on paying in the £1,500 at the last minute and whipping it back out again pronto. As soon as I get the £125 I'm off. With no feeling of guilt after what a disaster the whole process has been. (And not just for me.)

Oh, of course I'm now waiting for a card reader.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,048Posts Today

9,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: A huge thank you to everyone who has signed our #RecoverySpace campaign letter so far - we have reached over 1,000 names! If you?

• RT @fikee: Told a ridiculously cool young lad behind me in the supermarket that I loved his boots. He looked at me and in that split secon?

• Happy Birthday Jordon. 21 today. Wish you as good a day as you can, and hope you are out of hospital and on the m? https://t.co/G0V9q9agzT

• Follow Martin