Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 10th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 101Posts
    • 55Thanks
    MSE Callum
    8 WOW
    MSE News: 5p bag charge to include smaller stores
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    8 WOW
    MSE News: 5p bag charge to include smaller stores 10th Jan 18 at 1:54 PM
    The 5p carrier bag charge is set to be extended to smaller stores under plans to tackle a 'throwaway culture' in a 25-year environment plan being published later this week...
    Read the full story:
    '5p bag charge to include smaller stores'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Luke; 12-01-2018 at 3:50 PM.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • aj23
    • By aj23 10th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    aj23
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:55 PM
    Just ban them completely. I use fabric eco-bags.
    • redfox
    • By redfox 10th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    • 12,693 Posts
    • 36,111 Thanks
    redfox
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:01 PM
    Just ban them completely. I use fabric eco-bags.
    Originally posted by aj23
    I completely agree. There should be no need for the 'one use' bags if everybody accepted that we are strangling the planet with plastic and took their own bags when shopping.

There are plenty of fold up ones that you can slip in your pocket if carrying them around is an issue.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Quick Grabbit, Food Shopping & Groceries, Shop but don't drop, Loans and Cutting Tax boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• aj23
    • By aj23 10th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    aj23
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    I completely agree. There should be no need for the 'one use' bags if everybody accepted that we are strangling the planet with plastic and took their own bags when shopping.

There are plenty of fold up ones that you can slip in your pocket if carrying them around is an issue.
    Originally posted by redfox
    Even when I was at school, I'd re-use plastic bags for football boots/rugby boots, taking extra stuff in with me etc.

But better off without them. Even brown paper bags like in the US would be better than the plastic.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 11th Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 7,260 Posts
    • 10,212 Thanks
    KxMx
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    • 11th Jan 18, 11:51 AM
    Paper bags cannot be re-used as much as plastic, recycling can be compromised because of mixed materials (glue, handles) and they produce harmful gases during production and decomposition.

While they don't get ingested by or strangle wildlife they are not some ideal green alternative to plastic.
    Last edited by KxMx; 11-01-2018 at 12:03 PM.
    • MSE Tony
    • By MSE Tony 11th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    MSE Tony
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:00 PM
    Sadly the 5p charge in more stores is not really going to put shoppers off and agree it would be a good idea to get rid of them (or replace for paper bags).

As that is not going to happen, the charge per bag should be increased and maybe introduce a scheme to return carrier bags (bit like returning glass bottles in years gone by) where you get rewarded ie: a couple of pence, 5p or 10p per bag in the form of a shopping voucher.

I am sure the youngsters would be up for that and likely to pick a bag up in the the street if they spotted one blowing around.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 4,589 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:08 PM
    Even brown paper bags like in the US would be better than the plastic.
    That depends on what your criteria are.

Paper bags use more energy to manufacture and transport than plastic ones.

Supermarket paper bags tend to be single use, whereas plastic bags can be reduced as bin liners.

Paper bags sent to landfill will biodegrade anaerobically, producing methane, which is four times more damaging to the atmosphere than CO2.

If plastic bags are disposed of properly, they are better than paper.

And the amount of plastic in "single use" carrier bags is miniscule, compared to the amount of plastic packaging used by supermarkets.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 4,589 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    This is a duplicate thread.

See http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5772832

Shouldn't have been started. Should be merged.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 11th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 82 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    aj23
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    That depends on what your criteria are.

Paper bags use more energy to manufacture and transport than plastic ones.

Supermarket paper bags tend to be single use, whereas plastic bags can be reduced as bin liners.

Paper bags sent to landfill will biodegrade anaerobically, producing methane, which is four times more damaging to the atmosphere than CO2.

If plastic bags are disposed of properly, they are better than paper.

And the amount of plastic in "single use" carrier bags is miniscule, compared to the amount of plastic packaging used by supermarkets.
    Originally posted by Nick_C
    But we're not allowed to use plastic bags as bin liners, haven't done for years. Dustmen won't take it.

I've always said charging 5p for a bag is counterproductive when you're putting so much plastic packaging in the bag.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 11th Jan 18, 3:44 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 4,589 Thanks
    Nick_C
    But we're not allowed to use plastic bags as bin liners, haven't done for years. Dustmen won't take it.

I've always said charging 5p for a bag is counterproductive when you're putting so much plastic packaging in the bag.
    You can't normally put your mixed recycling inside a plastic bag, but I've never heard of a council that says you can't put plastic bags into your residual waste.

Which council is it?
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 12th Jan 18, 9:17 AM
    • 2,093 Posts
    • 1,338 Thanks
    Robin9
    (bit like returning glass bottles in years gone by) .
    Originally posted by MSE Tony

I can remember the days when we returned the empties but I wonder how it could work today. Then the deliveries from Corona were on Corona's lorry in a wooden crate, the driver was employed by Corona and all came direct from the factory and the empties went back to the same factory.

Today the transport industry is centered around deliveries (on shrink wrapped pallets - none of which is intended for reuse) from factories to a central hub and then mixed loads to supermarkets with no facility to take empties back.

So all the supermarkets could do is to collect the empties and crush them and then send to a processing plant.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • aj23
    • By aj23 12th Jan 18, 9:55 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    aj23
    You can't normally put your mixed recycling inside a plastic bag, but I've never heard of a council that says you can't put plastic bags into your residual waste.

Which council is it?
    East Herts. We can put general waste in an eco-friendly bag, but if we use bin liners and plastic shopping bags, the entire bin isn't emptied.

If the lid doesn't close, even by a few inches, they won't empty it either.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 12th Jan 18, 11:54 AM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 4,589 Thanks
    Nick_C
    East Herts. We can put general waste in an eco-friendly bag, but if we use bin liners and plastic shopping bags, the entire bin isn't emptied.
    That's weird. Their web site says you can put black sacks, plastic bags, and carrier bags in your black bin.

https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/bins
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 12th Jan 18, 1:28 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    This is a really controversial move. I will have to steal my Drumstick lolly each time now rather than pay for it.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 13th Jan 18, 11:46 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    aj23
    That's weird. Their web site says you can put black sacks, plastic bags, and carrier bags in your black bin.

https://www.eastherts.gov.uk/bins
    What a website says and what the dustmen do are very different things! They didn't take our bin once because the lid wasn't closing by a few inches and was classed as "overflowing".

They often don't take stuff.
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 13th Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,112 Posts
    • 2,802 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    Sadly the 5p charge in more stores is not really going to put shoppers off and agree it would be a good idea to get rid of them (or replace for paper bags).

As that is not going to happen, the charge per bag should be increased and maybe introduce a scheme to return carrier bags (bit like returning glass bottles in years gone by) where you get rewarded ie: a couple of pence, 5p or 10p per bag in the form of a shopping voucher.

I am sure the youngsters would be up for that and likely to pick a bag up in the the street if they spotted one blowing around.
    Originally posted by MSE Tony
    Some would, as long as they collected enough to make it worth their while.

Many years ago, when coin operated supermarket trollies were first introduced, my mum was asked by a young urchin if he could take her trolley back for her. What a nice, polite, helpful young man, mum thought. So she stood waiting for him to return with her coin... and waited.... and waited.
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 13th Jan 18, 1:54 PM
    • 3,351 Posts
    • 4,589 Thanks
    Nick_C
    What a website says and what the dustmen do are very different things! They didn't take our bin once because the lid wasn't closing by a few inches and was classed as "overflowing".

They often don't take stuff.
    If they don't empty your bin because you contain your waste in plastic bags then you should complain.

If your bin is so full that the lid won't close, or you have put recycling into your bin, then they have a right not to empty it.
    • aj23
    • By aj23 15th Jan 18, 10:51 AM
    • 82 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    aj23
    If they don't empty your bin because you contain your waste in plastic bags then you should complain.

If your bin is so full that the lid won't close, or you have put recycling into your bin, then they have a right not to empty it.
    They took one of the small recycling bins last year as well, so we are without that (for plastics I think).

Yeah but when the lid doesn't close by two inches or so, it's hardly overflowing. They always used to take it. Apparently any excess should be put next to the bin, but then other things might happen as a result of that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,210Posts Today

9,629Users online

Martin's Twitter