Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LittleMac13
    • By LittleMac13 10th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 25Thanks
    LittleMac13
    Ex refusing to sign TR1
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:37 AM
    Ex refusing to sign TR1 10th Jan 18 at 11:37 AM
    Apologies ifI have posted this in the wrong place.

My ex and I bought a house in November '15. We broke up and he moved out in January '16. He has asked me since to remove his name off the mortgage, not wanting anything in return as our daughter lives there with me.

TO be fair the 5k that was put down was used from money I'd saved from student finance and money I had won (I have bank statements to prove this).

He stated he couldn't get any benefits while named on the mortgage and said he needed to be off as soon as possible. I tried in the April of '16 but Halifax (who current mortgage is with) declined putting it in my name only as I failed affordability.

The saga continued and in October I had a pay rise and eventually got a sole mortgage offer from Santander! He has been in formed by solicitors to complete TR1 and ID1 form. He has ignored both me and the solicitors for two months and his sister has updated me about a month ago he can't afford to get his ID1 verified. As this is only £25 with a local solicitor I have offered to pay this.

He is still ignoring me and the solicitors and so I'm booked in to see a family lawyer next week to see what the next steps are.

Now there is barely any equity on the mortgage, I have evidence of him practically begging me to take him off, the solicitors have informed him that the process will have to start again from the beginning if he doesn't sign it (in turn costing me £100's again). They advised they may be able to get a judge to sign on his behalf as he is being incredibly difficult.

Has anybody had experience with this before?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:10 PM
    Yes a judge may order the transfer, but it's not as simple as asking a judge.

You'd spend several thousand going down that route.

If he's changed his mind then really nothing you can do in the short term.
    • FBaby
    • By FBaby 10th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 16,287 Posts
    • 40,554 Thanks
    FBaby
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 2:35 PM
    At the time, it benefited him to be off (to claim benefits), it sounds like it doesn't any longer, so he is probably seeing it that you made his life difficult then (although not your fault), he is now returning the buck.

Unfortunately, not much you can do that won't cost you if he refuses to sign. Can you try to liaise with his sister again?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    • 42,722 Posts
    • 49,926 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:57 PM
    Either spend several thousand pounds to get a court order forcing him to sign, or

negotiate/liaise with him/his sister to reach agreement, or

do nothing.
    • steampowered
    • By steampowered 10th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 1,938 Thanks
    steampowered
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 4:19 PM
    It sounds like remortgaging is for his benefit?

If so, just tell him (or get your solicitors to tell him) in an email what he needs to do, and that if he doesn't do it:

- You won't be able to get his name off the mortgage, because the bank won't agree to it.

- If he doesn't do it by a particular deadline, the mortgage offer will no longer be valid.

- If you miss the deadline because he can't get his act together, you won't be getting another remortgage unless he pays the extra cost of getting the surveys etc. needed to do that (which will be over £1000).
    • LittleMac13
    • By LittleMac13 11th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    LittleMac13
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:42 PM
    His sister doesn't want to hear about any of it. I don't have his number or know where he lives and the solicitors cannot give me that information. The worst part is he actually went in to my solicitors thinking it was just a form to sign, but didn't take any ID with him (?!) and since then hasn't been contactable.

He knows that I won't get another chance, he's definitely making it as difficult as possible and he must definitely know it will cost me money I don't have to get him off.

Infuriating!
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 1,581 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    • 11th Jan 18, 2:47 PM
    His sister doesn't want to hear about any of it. I don't have his number or know where he lives and the solicitors cannot give me that information. The worst part is he actually went in to my solicitors thinking it was just a form to sign, but didn't take any ID with him (?!) and since then hasn't been contactable.

He knows that I won't get another chance, he's definitely making it as difficult as possible and he must definitely know it will cost me money I don't have to get him off.

Infuriating!
    Originally posted by LittleMac13
    Not really his fault though. Currently he owns a house, I wouldn't want to just give that up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,110Posts Today

9,168Users online

Martin's Twitter