Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fastdriver
    • By Fastdriver 10th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Fastdriver
    Recon Engines Please do your research carefully.
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:15 AM
    Recon Engines Please do your research carefully. 10th Jan 18 at 11:15 AM
    We all look to save money and MSE is a great place to start. Sometimes a situation crops up and significant money is lost and all " Good Practice" is thrown out .This is our sobering experience when we needed a replacement engine.
    Our Complaint is about Engine Engineering of Paisley PA3 1RY Glasgow ,Scotland.
    This Company is also known as Engineered Engines and both are the Trading name of Net Motor Spares Ltd. At the address of 15, McFarlane Street, Paisley PA3 1RY and 272 Bath Street ,Glasgow G2 4JR.
    My son needed a replacement engine for his car ( VW with timing chain tensioner known design fault ) . I found this company on the internet that offered a fast turn around and a good warranty. Everything on the website appeared to allay my fears about their engines and their engineering practices. I e-mailed the company and they replied that they had a exact match in stock Their normal delivery was 3-5 days after order and payment. The order was placed by my son on 1st Sept 2017 and £2604 paid by bank transfer. They do not accept debit or Credit cards . ( this should have been our first warning ) .This was money that I had given him for the replacement engine.
    This was to cover the replacement engine, delivery of their engine and the return of his engine to them and a surcharge returnable once they had received our engine.
    Nothing was delivered after 5 working days and then excuses were made each time he phoned them. We had a mechanic booked ready to install the replacement engine. We had to cancel him as nothing appeared.
    They have a cancellation procedure and he cancelled after nothing was delivered after 19 days. Since then they will not meaningfully talk to him and we still have not had any money returned. They always say they will call back but never phone.
    Their T&Cs are incredibly complicated--over 20 pages . We did expect to lose some money IF they had done any work but their attitude is to refuse to discuss this or make a different excuse .
    Their accounts department seems to be run separately from the business but on the same site. Look at other negative reviews on reliable review sites like Trust Pilot , to see how people get treated by the various sections of this Company.
    It is over 10 weeks since he cancelled the contract due to non delivery of goods. We are not alone in losing money .I have collated over 20 negative reviews on this company from various forums on the internet . Many people have lost similar or higher amounts due to non delivery, delivery of the wrong engine or non return of the surcharge.
    The company regularly changes its name and its assets are held by a company of a different name ( Probably EE Asset Management ) at the same address. There are Two directors and they are directors of 11 companies all at the same address . The company is variously called Engineengineering,Engineered Engines or Engine Engineering. They trade under the banner of Net Motor Spares. All this data can be published as it already is in the Public Domain.and on the Companies House website.
    The company has been on the receiving end of many CCJs but has been agile enough to avoid them, up to now . We will be pursuing this Company through the Courts, both English , Scottish and via The European Order for Payment.
    We have a full and complete paper trail back to them. This includes the original order, the written contract, the subsequent bank transfer of all monies and all completed and accepted cancellation documents . All this in compliance with Engineered engineís Tís & Cís.
    I have written to Renfrewshire Trading Standards who have taken an interest in the proceedings and have collated over 20 negative reviews from customers who have been treated as badly as we have .
    The total of money that Engineered Engines/Engineengineering has not returned to the customers of just these collated reviews stands at over £30,000. This is only the tip of the iceberg. The Company seems intent in defrauding customers by not delivering goods or not retirning deposits.Several people have had their own engine returned in the same state as they had sent them.
    There has been a flagrant disregard of our Statutory Rights
    There are probably good engine reconditioners out there so please do your research in depth and use ones belonging to The Federation of engine remanufacturers .
Page 1
    • tykesi
    • By tykesi 10th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 1,918 Posts
    • 2,664 Thanks
    tykesi
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:22 AM
    I can't see anybody making it to the end of that wall of text. I didn't get past the title which I think is all you need to say anyway. Why anyone would buy an engine without researching first is beyond me.
    £2018 in 2018 - £347.08

£2017 in 2017 - £7097.88

£2016 in 2016 - £3087.89
    • ssparks2003
    • By ssparks2003 10th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 254 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    ssparks2003
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:14 PM
    Looooonnnnnnngggggggggg wall of text, so what is your question?
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 10th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:51 PM
    Only read the title as it been covered many time before.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 10th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 660 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    Only read the title as it been covered many time before.
    Originally posted by Inner Zone
    Apt username though.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 19,139 Posts
    • 14,821 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:43 PM
    I couldn't read it either, but I suspect if it belongs anywhere it's on Praise, Vent & Warnings.
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 10th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:18 PM
    I read it all !!!! He basically says don't buy spend a fortune with a company you haven't done any research on, know nothing about anyway, and who won't accept payment by card. Thanks for the advice.
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 10th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    So just common sense?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,789Posts Today

9,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @richlaing: @MartinSLewis Obviously spot poll but interested in the fact that 9% would opt out of donation. Interested to hear reasons w?

• This is perhaps the most ridiculous tool I've seen online, it values your name based on what a sample of 500,000 ea? https://t.co/39sRBJrLt3

• RT @RobiMous2: Yesterday I saved myself £30 a month by switching utilities and cancelling a sim no one in the family used anymore. Inspired?

• Follow Martin