Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • itsmeeagain
    • By itsmeeagain 10th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    itsmeeagain
    DEBIT card and Chargeback
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:03 AM
    DEBIT card and Chargeback 10th Jan 18 at 11:03 AM
    I am the admin of a group supporting youngsters who had a terrible experience in Thailand with a well known holiday company sending youngsters to Thailand.

There are 300 affected people and every debit card chargeback that has got past the bank and passed on to the card issuer ( visa, mastercard) has been approved. It seems a massive problem getting banks to even understand. With hard work each bank is passing on to the card issuer who is approving the chargebacks and they are going uncontested.

The transactions were all internet payments for an experience that was not provided. All were paid at different times throughout the year of 2017. Every individual has been refused a refund or been blocked by the company if they continue to complain

As the payments were internet payments and they are for services and products ( a certificate) not provided, I would assume, as my claim, they would be code 30. This code has a modifier that the 120 days start from the date the purchaser became aware of the problem. Every bank slowly agrees to this with the exception of Santander who point blank refuse to pass it on to the card issuer as it is 120 days past the transaction date.

Any help on where the actually stand point is on this. Every other bank is agreeing, every chargeback that gets past the bank staff gets fully refunded within days.

What can I do, what can I say to Santander.
Page 1
    • KJSmith
    • By KJSmith 10th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    KJSmith
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 11:27 AM
    When was the experience due to happen? Have 120 days elapsed since this?

The Visa Rules allow a reason code 30 chargeback to be made 120 calendar days from the last date that the Cardholder expected to receive the merchandise or services or the date that the Cardholder was first made aware that the merchandise or services would not be provided (as long as this does not exceed 540 calendar days from the transaction date).
    • itsmeeagain
    • By itsmeeagain 10th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    itsmeeagain
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:58 PM
    When was the experience due to happen? Have 120 days elapsed since this?

The Visa Rules allow a reason code 30 chargeback to be made 120 calendar days from the last date that the Cardholder expected to receive the merchandise or services or the date that the Cardholder was first made aware that the merchandise or services would not be provided (as long as this does not exceed 540 calendar days from the transaction date).
    Originally posted by KJSmith

Hi the date of the experience was less than 120 days, most were september and October and the last payments were usually made 6 weeks prior to this, so it seems to fit all the criteria, but Santander bank in the UK are being terrible and just point blank saying it is past 120 since the transaction, what else, if anything, can I do. Every attempt to resolve with the supplier has been made and they just ignore complaints, emails and letters, if I or anyone tries to contact via social media they are blocked.

any idea
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 10th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 6,089 Posts
    • 6,117 Thanks
    eskbanker
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:15 PM
    As per https://www.santander.co.uk/uk/help-support/complaints/how-to-complain, once you've exhausted their formal complaints process and received their final response, you can escalate to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 10th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 425 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:34 PM
    Did you follow any of the advice in your previous threads? You never followed up on any of the questions.

Namely, were the experiences part of a package (from previous threads, it seems they were), meaning ATOL protection? Are they ABTA registered? Who is this "well known holiday company?" It is Invasion as suggested by another of your threads, if so, you've been advised many times to have them contact ABTA a couple of months ago. Have they done this?

Have they tried filing a claim through their travel insurance?

But yes, its 120 days from the day you became aware. They will need to file a formal complaint, wait up to 8 weeks for a response, then take it to the FOS if it is still not completed to their satisfaction.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,640Posts Today

8,991Users online

Martin's Twitter