Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

• koalagirlbev
    • By koalagirlbev 10th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Insuring a flat-roof property
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:35 AM
    Insuring a flat-roof property 10th Jan 18 at 10:35 AM

Our house has a solid concrete flat roof and I am finding it almost impossible to find an insurer who will provide buildings insurance.
    I am currently insured with Aviva, however, I would like to know if any other forum users have suggestions / experience of insuring a property with a flat roof as I would like to be able to shop around to see if the price is reasonable.

Many thanks for any suggestions!
Page 1
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 10th Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 4,330 Posts
    • 2,707 Thanks
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:59 PM
    you could try a broker to see if they can find one for you
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • Effervescent
    • By Effervescent 6th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 9:19 PM
    I have been with Churchill for years but theyve just put my premium up by £93 so trying to find someone else. Have been with direct line before. My roof is 100% flat felt on timber
    • PrivateClients
    • By PrivateClients 6th Feb 18, 11:38 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:38 PM
    • 6th Feb 18, 11:38 PM
    I'd say contact a local broker for some more guidance but I don't think it's a huge problem to place cover for 100% flat roof properties any more. Especially so because you are concrete rather than felt.

If I were you I'd run some dummy quotes on price comparison declaring the property 0% flat but with a concrete roof, then just start calling down the list of insurers and asking if they'd still quote knowing it's 100% flat. Some insurers rate a flat concrete roof as standard construction so you should find one soon enough and are genuinely shopping around rather than relying on the names of one or two insurers that people may recommend.

When you do find a quote, look out for roof inspection terms on some policies which require you to have a roofer inspect your roof every 3/5/7 years (as an example) and carry out any remedial works. These terms are often inappropriate for a concrete roof and are a bit onerous generally.
    Lloyds broker working in Private Clients and Property Owners.

Looking to help and be helped.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,618Posts Today

7,689Users online

Martin's Twitter