Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aaroncaz
    • By aaroncaz 10th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 4,770Posts
    • 8,357Thanks
    aaroncaz
    Changing a Power of Attorney?
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    Changing a Power of Attorney? 10th Jan 18 at 10:05 AM
    Can this be done for free? Bit confused abt this, someone i know made one at Age concern and it cost her abt £300-£400!! She named her son , then her daughter if anything happened to the son. She now wants to remove the son's name and have just the daughter. Does she need to make a new one or just amend the old one and can she do it here :

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/change-your-lasting-power-of-attorney

Also could she have made the original one through the gov site without paying Age concern?
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 10th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 36,415 Posts
    • 153,922 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 12:11 PM
    Also could she have made the original one through the gov site without paying Age concern?
    Yes, it would have been cheaper but not free.

The benefit of using Age concern is the checking service they offer. Whether that is worth the extra cost is up to people to decide for themselves
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 10th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 1,225 Posts
    • 1,341 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:04 PM
    The price has now gone down to £82. If the form is filled in online it is to an extent self-checking. I found it much easier doing mine online last year than I did helping my mother do her's about 8 years ago.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 10th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 4,343 Posts
    • 4,722 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 1:13 PM
    Yes sher will need to complete a need to complete a new one, but she still should have a second / back up attorney in case anything happens to her daughter.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 10th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 7,910 Posts
    • 27,594 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:18 PM
    Keep pedalling is quite right. You cannot make amendments to Powers of Attorney. A completely new one has to be made. I recommend having a second attorney and that they act jointly or severally. This doesn't mean that they both have to act on any given issue but it does provide flexibility. If a back up attorney is appointed, they will take over if the prime attorney is unable to act, but that will then be a permanent arrangement and the prime attorney can't come back onto the scene and start acting again, so it's important to be clear in your mind from the beginning how you want the attorneys to work.

You can complete the process online with the guidance given. Just be sure that everybody, i.e donor, attorneys, certificate provider and witnesses sign in the correct order as instructed otherwise you will get the document rejected and have to start all over again.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 10th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 159 Thanks
    newatc
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 7:53 PM
    I did mine online a year or two back and not only found it relatively easy but the Probate Office very helpful (freephone number).
    • perfect10
    • By perfect10 12th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 304 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    perfect10
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    • 12th Jan 18, 10:25 AM
    I helped my dad do one last year, it was straightforward, he was writing a will at the same time and even the solicitor recommended to do Power of Attorney yourself online which is pretty much unheard of when they can make a few quid extra! It was £82 but if you are claiming certain benefits then I think the fee is waived?
    Entering a few comps here and there still waiting for that elusive 'big' win!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

256Posts Today

2,196Users online

Martin's Twitter