Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • diane***
    • By diane*** 10th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    • 18Posts
    • 2Thanks
    diane***
    BT 24 month contract
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:53 AM
    BT 24 month contract 10th Jan 18 at 9:53 AM
    2016 November I signed a contract with BT to supply broad band, phone landline and TV for £61.99, it was half what I had been paying SKY and I thought a good deal, with caller display too.
    I was just checking my direct debits as Martin said on last nights show and found I was paying £73.24.
    I queried it with BT today. I thought i'd signed up to pay £61.99 for 24 months.
    it seems they have just increased the charges in November, they have said that I would have been notified that charges were increasing and at that point I could end the contract, if I hadn't responded within 30 days I get to pay, they said because I missed the notice if I want to end the contract it will be £300.
    I didn't get a notice about choice and payment increases I checked.
    I said I can't afford the new cost it isn't what I anticipated...... I hadn't got an email saying the costs were rising.
    I checked my email just to be sure when I put the phone down...... there was one in November saying the caller display which had been free was going to be £1.75 increase, if I wanted I could go online and renew it.... there is nothing about my other choices, and other charges, it doesn't say I can end the contract it just says that I can renew the ''free'' caller display if I sign for another 12 months.
    The BT representative I spoke to said I have to pay the new charges or £300 to end the contract. They sent me an email November and that allows them to increase the cost.
    The email I got was about the caller display charge and an option to pay £1.75 a month , no information about other increase charges nor about choices to end the contract, nor does it say there is a time limit on my response to the increase in charges.
    it seem BT get you to sign up 24 months to pay £61.99 then with no clear information or customer options made clear the bill gets increased and you have no easy way out.
    they said I should have responded within 30 days of notification via email, but the only email I got was about caller display it didn't say because they were increasing the bill I had an opt out of the contract, if it had i'd have taken it.
    i am stuck , i don't have £300 to get out of my contract with BT and I can't afford the increase they have charged. I didn't get a clear notification that there was a choice to end the contract if i couldn't afford the new charges.
    what do i do?
Page 1
    • Inner Zone
    • By Inner Zone 10th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 1,998 Posts
    • 1,091 Thanks
    Inner Zone
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:02 AM
    2016 November I signed a contract with BT to supply broad band, phone landline and TV for £61.99, it was half what I had been paying SKY and I thought a good deal, with caller display too.
    I was just checking my direct debits as Martin said on last nights show and found I was paying £73.24.
    I queried it with BT today. I thought i'd signed up to pay £61.99 for 24 months.
    it seems they have just increased the charges in November, they have said that I would have been notified that charges were increasing and at that point I could end the contract, if I hadn't responded within 30 days I get to pay, they said because I missed the notice if I want to end the contract it will be £300.
    I didn't get a notice about choice and payment increases I checked.
    I said I can't afford the new cost it isn't what I anticipated...... I hadn't got an email saying the costs were rising.
    I checked my email just to be sure when I put the phone down...... there was one in November saying the caller display which had been free was going to be £1.75 increase, if I wanted I could go online and renew it.... there is nothing about my other choices, and other charges, it doesn't say I can end the contract it just says that I can renew the ''free'' caller display if I sign for another 12 months.
    The BT representative I spoke to said I have to pay the new charges or £300 to end the contract. They sent me an email November and that allows them to increase the cost.
    The email I got was about the caller display charge and an option to pay £1.75 a month , no information about other increase charges nor about choices to end the contract, nor does it say there is a time limit on my response to the increase in charges.
    it seem BT get you to sign up 24 months to pay £61.99 then with no clear information or customer options made clear the bill gets increased and you have no easy way out.
    they said I should have responded within 30 days of notification via email, but the only email I got was about caller display it didn't say because they were increasing the bill I had an opt out of the contract, if it had i'd have taken it.
    i am stuck , i don't have £300 to get out of my contract with BT and I can't afford the increase they have charged. I didn't get a clear notification that there was a choice to end the contract if i couldn't afford the new charges.
    what do i do?
    Originally posted by diane***
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5771753
    • diane***
    • By diane*** 10th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    diane***
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    thanks inner........ i just read this link.

i was interested to read about the ''price increase notification emails'' i didn't get one, and i did consent to email communication.
    i just did a search in my emails.... just got the caller display offer of free renewal. In November.
    if Bt have proof of who they notify i should get some help hopefully.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,128Posts Today

8,707Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's Twitter poll: Following yesterday's poll about being an organ donor when you die - would you consider being? https://t.co/tCTWjJBin8

• RT @clq: @MartinSLewis You hit that one right out of the park. It might be the Tweet of the Century. I don't think anyone can do any Batter?

• You've run-out of puns. That's a bit of a googly, maybe I can help break your duck, though it is s sticky wicket, t? https://t.co/nJT51NpXfO

• Follow Martin