Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• Brooker Dave
    • By Brooker Dave 10th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    • 4,899Posts
    • 3,147Thanks
    Brooker Dave
    credit blacklists and GDPR
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:36 AM
    credit blacklists and GDPR 10th Jan 18 at 9:36 AM
    Now that ordinary people are able to control their own data, and have the right to be forgotten - they can force the blacklists to delete it - will blacklists who ignore the law be open to the next ppi style claims bonanza?

"For example today, financial institutions share data with Credit Reference agencies and this is embedded into most contracts. The ICO guidance suggests this can continue under the exemptions. However, I suspect this is far too simplistic an approach. Why, because the amount of data being shared with Credit Reference Agencies is far higher today, than it was a few years back and if you look at the data being shared, many observers are saying much of the data is used for targeting of products and actually probably has little impact on someone's ability to get credit.

"Likewise, Credit Reference Agencies today simply trust their customers that the customer's have obtained consent to see a person's data, but from personal experience this is often not true. I have frequently found my credit reference file being accessed in error - in fact one (very large UK) organisation I approached admitted to accessing my file in error, but was unable to stop the access and could not confirm what data has been accessed or what had happened to the data it had obtained."

"Under GDPR, all data processors including credit reference agencies are now liable to both report on breaches (access without consent) pay compensation and fines for any resulting breaches. After GDPR takes effect, my expectation is that over the coming months and years, we will see individuals winning claims through the courts across the EU, which will dramatically change how organisations deal with personal data."

"In summary, it is time to start explicly gaining consent from your customers and updating your processes so that a service can be varied depending on how much data data a person allows you to process. It will no longer be all or nothing."
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
Page 1
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 10th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 726 Posts
    • 423 Thanks
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    • 10th Jan 18, 9:39 AM
    There aren't any credit blacklists to remove you from
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 10th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 1,045 Thanks
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    • 10th Jan 18, 3:43 PM
    If a commercial organisation doesn't want to lend money to you because you didn't pay it back the last time, GDPR will not change that at all.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,285Posts Today

7,774Users online

Martin's Twitter